Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Not sure I understand Amazon Prime….
  • dmorts

As I understand it, Amazon Prime gives you next day delivery. I have it as a free trial currently. However quite often next day delivery is not available for items listed as in stock and marked “Prime”. The delivery is usually the day after tomorrow instead. Then today I placed an order of about 8 items, all marked “Prime”. Two items came up as being delivered the day after tomorrow, but I could pay £4.49 and get them tomorrow? What’s going on there?

savoyad

1.  Things often come earlier than it says – in particular, things advertised as due in 2 days often come the next day after all.

2.  At busy times (i.e. now) more things seem to be advertised as 2-3 days away.  Sometimes they do take that long.  But see also 1.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Just make sure its actualy coming from the Amazon with the Prime delivery. I’ve noticed it saying Prime at the top, but that is only because its an option in the 3rd party sellers lower in the page

johndoh
    Free Member

Prime is basically a bit of a con now. You pay for the service then want to buy a pair of socks. The socks are available on Prime which guarantees next day delivery apart from the times it isn’t guaranteed next day delivery. They cost £8.99. You can also buy the same socks on standard delivery for £4.99 if you are prepared to wait.

So basically they penalise you for wanting your socks quickly despite paying for a service that guarantees quick delivery (apart from the times it doesn’t guarantee quick delivery).

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on where you live.

They have different SLAs for different postcodes. I have most prime stuff available as same day delivery if ordered early enough, that’s not even an option on anything if I moved 16 mile out in to the sticks like I am looking to do and the delivery times are increased on normal prime stuff as well.

What prime does get you is often free delivery where it would have been charged for previously plus access to all the other services like the video, music etc.

butcher

So basically they penalise you for wanting your socks quickly despite paying for a service that guarantees quick delivery (apart from the times it doesn’t guarantee quick delivery).

I’m not sure that’s their business plan. Half the stuff on Amazon is not sold by Amazon. It’s sold by people sat at home, buying goods from Alibaba, which are then shipped to and fulfilled by Amazon.

jekkyl

Optimus’ brother wasn’t as successful as his elder brother.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It depends where you live.

When I was in the south east I actually got a delivery the same day when ordered on Prime. 99% came next day.

I now live in rural Northumberland and a lot more stuff takes 2 days. Rarely longer than that and still the majority the next day.

GrahamS

Prime is quite a bit more than just the fast delivery though.

Prime Video and Prime Music gets used heavily in our house.

BillOddie

Prime Same Day is a boon if you need something urgently that’s hardwarey or electronicy but really can’t be arsed going to the shops.

scotroutes

Prime works for me in the rural Scottish Highlands where many companies want to charge extra, delay delivery or not deliver at all. Mostly, I get Prime stuff next day and when it’s not going to be that it’s obvious when placing my order.

hooli

I cant work it out either, some of the prime items are more expensive than non prime – which sort of makes sense as you are paying for the fast delivery but this should be covered in the monthly prime fee.

BillOddie

I think (I may be wrong) but the cheaper non-prime price might be through a 3rd party.

Gowrie
    Free Member

I consider Prime to be first and foremost a prepaid delivery service – ie no charge for delivery at point of sale. Next day is a bonus, (but often available).

dissonance

They have different SLAs for different postcodes

and on different items. I assume it partially depends on which warehouse it is in. An item in the hemel centre would be next day/today for me but if it is only held in a Scottish centre be a tad slower.

Just make sure its actualy coming from the Amazon with the Prime delivery

The comingling of products is a problem and one Amazon need to get on top off. Otherwise getting less and less usable due to the ease of sneaking fakes in.

toby1

It also gets you access to Amazon music and Amazon video/fire services don’t forget. Then there are the free delivery charges and when fulfilled by them it is usually next day. Given that you have picked the day after Black Friday and Cyber Monday (imagine doing 75% of your yearly work over a weekend) I’d give the poor warehouse operatives a break if they can’t get your order picked and packed in time to be shipped for tomorrow.

dmorts

I’d give the poor warehouse operatives a break if they can’t get your order picked and packed in time to be shipped for tomorrow.

That’s missing the point. If I pay £4.49 extra I get them tomorrow. With Prime it’s 2 days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I live in a city, I get TV, Films and next or same day delivery on just about anything I want, yep some of it is more expensive but less than the delivery once I shop around. Getting a couple of HDMI leads for work for less hassle and cheaper than going to tesco was a bonus

Drac

Prime is basically a bit of a con now. You pay for the service then want to buy a pair of socks. The socks are available on Prime which guarantees next day delivery apart from the times it isn’t guaranteed next day delivery. They cost £8.99. You can also buy the same socks on standard delivery for £4.99 if you are prepared to wait.

That’s never been any different you’ve always had to price check Amazon with other retailers.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The cheaper ones are probably not from Amazon but a marketplace seller. They may not even be new (though unlikely you’d buy used socks 😀 , but might be a resell).

There are also more generic items and there are cheaper alternatives outside of Prime, but they may not be the same item or quality.

There’s a lot of stuff I look at where the marketplace options are actually higher priced and the Prime is cheaper.

That’s missing the point. If I pay £4.49 extra I get them tomorrow. With Prime it’s 2 days.

As said, was the option for paying extra actually on the Prime item or an alternate seller? If it’s true Prime I believe you get a credit if you pick a non-Prime delivery option that could have been Prime.

And yes, Prime depends where you live. The distance from a Prime stocking warehouse and the delivery network for Prime. In some cases regular RM post might be quicker.

Not for me though as I’m near enough for an order right now on Prime to turn up tomorrow. Order in the morning and I may even get it same day. Relatives live just down the road from the main Amazon place and I can get stuff sent to them same day that is offered next day for me. They can also get 1hr Prime Now deliveries (I get 2 hr).

p.s. Prime is more than next day deliveries. Don’t forget streaming TV, Film and music. Though it’s not an amazing selection but does have some things Netflix doesn’t have and vice versa (Amazon perhaps stronger for movies than TV).

firestarter
    Free Member

I don’t understand prime music or tv tbh. I’ve had prime for ages I get lots delivered same or next day but tv seems lots is to be paid for and one time I got billed for prime music unlimited for some reason , they refunded and said it was an error but couldn’t seem to explain what it was and how it was different to prime music so I just don’t bother with it and pay for Google music , I’m sure they could make it easier to navigate through

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t understand prime music or tv tbh. I’ve had prime for ages I get lots delivered same or next day but tv seems lots is to be paid for

Heaps of TV and films included in your sub, just need to take a look. They do however leave the paid for content in the search so that you might be tempted to pay for for a bit more that you really want to watch.

ossify

As other have said it depends on where you live (how far you are from the fulfilment centre and whether they can use their own delivery service or Royal Mail etc).

Also not everything is stored in the UK. As they (and many Marketplace sellers) sell across Europe, the item could be sitting in a warehouse in Germany or somewhere, still eligible for Prime but may take them 1 extra day to deliver.

cx_monkey

We live out on Dartmoor, and most stuff is next day. If it’s not, it’s generally because it comes with an Amazon DC in Europe. If you’re not fussed about next day anyway, then you can take the free delivery with media download credit instead.

Yeah, you have to play the game, check prices and weigh it up, but where is that any different? Prime video is a major part of it for me too, but the Prime Music is guff in my opinion – apparently only half the tracks that Spotify has? But the video element is as good as Netflix, albeit with very different content. It is a shame that you don’t have the download option for video that you get with Netflix.

I like it, I think it’s a pretty amazing service and the delivery even though it’s pretty much never the same driver, is reliable (admitedly it wasn’t great when they first started doing their own deliveries).

whitestone
    Free Member

how far you are from the fulfilment centre

Fulfilment centre? Have you been drinking the Kool Aid? It’s a warehouse FFS!

Drac

It is a shame that you don’t have the download option for video that you get with Netflix.

You can download videos?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can download Netflix stuff yes AND you can download Amazon Videos on a tablet or phone.

GrahamS

I don’t understand prime music or tv tbh.

Then I’d say you are paying over the odds for a service that you are only using a small part of. I’d urge you to investigate further.

Prime Video has a LOT of movies on it that are all included in your subscription, as well as various TV series. The kids watch it all the time (and I’ve just finished binging on “Jack Ryan” which was very good). Between that and iPlayer, old-fashioned broadcast TV rarely gets a look in at our house.

Shows such as Grand Tour, Outlander, The Man In The High Castle, Homecoming, Vikings, Black Sails, Preacher, American Gods, Mr Robot, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Downton Abbey, Grey’s Anatomy are all included in your subscription.

Prime Music has a decent selection on it. Not fantastic, but decent. Has enough popular stuff to keep the kids happy anyway. It is also included in your subscription.

GrahamS

It is a shame that you don’t have the download option for video that you get with Netflix.

You can.

I downloaded 5 episodes of Jack Ryan so I had something to watch on a long train journey from London.

firestarter
    Free Member

I shall investigate further cheers chaps

piemonster

Unlimited photo storage on prime too.

I seem to be using the shopping element less and less these days but all Amazon Prime stuff is next day. Market Place stuff excluded!

Amazon do seem to like to mix up the Prime and need to buy content on TV as a default which o can see might be annoying.

Fantombiker

There is a definite over- promise in the promotion of this service. I had it as a trial and everything I bought, even though it was a prime product, was not delivered next day. Amazon should be much clearer as to the variability of the next day service. I don’t remember reading it depends on where you are, or time of day it’s ordered etc etc

dmorts

all Amazon Prime stuff is next day

Except when it’s not.

Just checked my order summary. The stuff I paid Express for is scheduled for Thursday delivery! I give up

GrahamS

The stuff I paid Express for is scheduled for Thursday delivery! I give up

It’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Their busiest week of the year! Thursday is pretty good going.

dmorts

It’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Their busiest week of the year! Thursday is pretty good going.

Neither of those happen spontaneously, they’re set dates. It’s not like there’s been an unexpected rush….

I’d paid “Express” expedited postage to get the items here tomorrow before 1pm as they’re needed ASAP (although I was expecting this option to be available under Prime for free). Looks like that’s not going to be honoured so the best I can hope for is refund of the postage.

GrahamS

We’re so spoilt these days.

I’m old enough to remember when we ordered stuff from a paper catalogue at home and had to wait up to 60 days for delivery – but these days I can go on Amazon and order stuff to arrive within an hour!

BillOddie

Stuff my wife ordered from Amazon Sunday evening came at some point today, hidden behind the bins.

It’s been peeing it down all day.  Thankfully no harm done despite sodden cardboard.

ajaj
    Free Member

“paper catalogue at home and had to wait up to 60 days”

I used to phone in orders to Maplin from the paper catalogue and they’d arrive before school the next day.

Royal Mail 1st class isn’t what it used to be.

GrahamS

Neither is Maplin. 🥺

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Not sure I understand Amazon Prime….’ is closed to new replies.