Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Not putting wax jackets in the washing machine..
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some sort of washing machine cleaner.

Wife is away and I thought it would be a good idea to put my old Barbour into the washing machine on a boil wash to get rid of all the crappy wax which it did. Rinsed it though a couple of times after but still getting slightly waxy shirts and socks etc. (waterproof work shirts what’s not to like) which I can live with but which I think Mrs Nipper will object to. Can I run something though the washing machine to get rid of this or should I just abandon it any get a new one and hope she doesn’t notice.

oldnpastit

Bike chain degreaser?

You could also clean your bike chains at the same time.

I wonder if washing machines have seals. I expect they would come out sparkly clean as well….

kayak23

New patio for sir?
    😯

thomthumb
    Free Member

lemon juice?

maccruiskeen

Hot washes with lots of sacrificial material in there that any residual wax can cling too – old towels and dishcloths, her wedding dress, your lucky pants.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Dishwasher tablets would be worth a try; it may take a few washes.

It will probably be in the outer drum, but wiping round the inside with solvent like meths may help. Since the wax is coming out on things you wash, every wash is reducing the amount left, so you could also try washing any old sheets etc that you keep for bike cleaning rags.

Houns

Not her wedding dress, she’ll be wanting to use that again quite soon

fasthaggis

Did sir Google?

You could always try picking the dead things off it, then shot blasting

Rubber_Buccaneer

My associates in the world of launderettes suggest a hottest wash with lemon fairy (they were also not very complimentary about anyone who would stick a wax cotton jacket in the washing machine but I won’t go into that 🙂 )

fasthaggis

Hot washes with lots of sacrificial material in there that any residual wax can cling too – old towels and dishcloths, her wedding dress, your lucky pants.

Please,please come back and let us know how this method works out for you 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Try some Dr Beckman.
    http://www.dr-beckmann.co.uk/product/service-it-deep-clean/

And a new patio.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I will try the above. In my defence it was late Saturday night after some cider and watching both series of Black Books on All 4 back to back and the cat didn’t raise any objections.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Get to Poundstretcher and buy their cheap “Oxi” cleaner.

It’s basically the cheapest source of Sodium Percarbonate which is the active ingredient in dishwasher tablets and other stuff.

Stick loads in on a hot wash, it should shift a lot of it. It’s great stuff.

doris5000

Not her wedding dress, she’ll be wanting to use that again quite soon

applause 😆

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

really want to know how this one ends… do let us know 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Lot’s of fairy liquid in the dispenser and lot’s inside the drum as well. Maybe half a bottle it total, put a bath towel in as well and run a warm cycle.

Take plenty photies.

xcgb
    Free Member

One of those seemed like a good idea at the time moments! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Take plenty photies.

One of those seemed like a good idea at the time moments!

Just saying, probably not the best idea (do commercial launderettes have some sort of large vent/drain to make this a viable option?)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Lot’s of fairy liquid in the dispenser and lot’s inside the drum as well

Yay, bubble party!

do commercial launderettes have some sort of large vent/drain

No, foam will come out the soap box just like your domestic machine 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I use neat washing liquid on oil or brake slime stains.
    Only goes wrong if I have lots of stains. Then I get to clean the floor with all the foam coming out of the washing machine detergent tray……

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Do not put dishwasher tablets in your washer. It won’t end well.

maccruiskeen

Lot’s of fairy liquid

Washing up liquid is quite salty which is why people warn against using it for washing bikes. But to avoid problems with everything getting really foamy you just use the active ingredient from the fairy liquid in a neat concentrated form so you don’t get the problem with the bubbles.

So what you want is neat salt I reckon – as in salt in its purest form. Sodium Chloride.

In fact I’m sure Chloride is probably bad for you (sound bad anyway) so lets avoid that.

So just put some pure Sodium in the drum.

footflaps

Washing up liquid is quite salty which is why people warn against using it for washing bikes

WTF!

Tiny amount of salt compared with riding on the roads in winter.

It’s just a load of BS made up to get you to buy expensive branded bike wash cleaners.

Rubber_Buccaneer

🙂 footflaps is more concerned about the salt content of washing up liquid than the idea of

So just put some pure Sodium in the drum.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Do not out fairly liquid in the washing machine or dishwasher.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s just a load of BS made up to get you to buy expensive branded bike wash cleaners

or just use cheap car shampoo, it’s cheaper and goes further than washing up liquid.
    And I think the issue is with road salt you wash it off. With washing up liquid your washing it in…….

avdave2

I think as a wax jacket owner the only only appropriate thing now is to go into the barn with your shotgun.

xcgb
    Free Member

I think as a wax jacket owner the only only appropriate thing now is to go into the barn with your shotgun.

This 😀

ThePinkster

footflaps is more concerned about the salt content of washing up liquid than the idea of

“So just put some pure Sodium in the drum”.To be honest it would solve the problem. 😆

These people may be able to help.

kayak23

Lighting a candle makes the wax run off so the answer is obvious. You need to light a fire in the drum.

maccruiskeen

My friends washing machine set light to itself without the aid of sodium or candles last week. He doesn’t even own a boil-washable wax jacket. Seems nuts that something full of water can go on fire, not withstanding also being full of electricity.

I think the smartest course of action it to check your household insurance is paid up then set fire to the kitchen and your browsing history

franksinatra

Just treat it like you would candle wax. Put a load of brown paper and an iron in the washing machine.

xcgb
    Free Member

Actually its now an unwaxed jacket surely!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wax off?

deadslow

I think you need subject matter experts here: head over to Chemistry’s equivalent of STW: Chemistry exchange
    Their proposed solutions for candle wax highlight some alternatives: toluene and xylene which may not be easily available but petrol was also suggested. What could possibly go wrong? You may need to start another thread : How to get the smell of petrol from my washing machine?
    IANAC (chemist)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Epic fail OP.

I too want to know the ending.

Post pics.

😆

boobs

I think I’d buy a new one (as a pressie)

boobs

and a new coat too. hth

avdave2

Actually its now an unwaxed jacket surely!

That’s a very good point, maybe if he chucks it in a washing machine full of wax it’ll re-wax it. Where though would he find such a washing machine?

jimdubleyou

http://ao.com/l/washing_machines/1/1/?WT.ac=IFCWMsHP

Next day Delivery Saturday and 0% finance!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Not putting wax jackets in the washing machine..’ is closed to new replies.