Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Northwind – owe you a thankyou.
  • Mugboo

Followed your advice for Inners on a recent thread. Really enjoyed your favourite descents, reminded us of Norwood above Stainburn. A lovely antidote to all that built trail.
    I felt like Joe Barnes (although probably more like Clif Barnes!)….

Cheers Jason

Simon

Yep, thanks from me too. Not sure we followed the instructions to get to the top of Matador quite right but we got there eventually!
    The descent we took from there was my favourite riding of our weekend at Glentress and Innerleithen, superb.

Northwind

😳 Glad you enjoyed it! We were down today doing some of those trails, never seen them so dry (but also rockier than usual!) I like a bit of slither tbh, but it was still ace. The dh trails were so loose, like riding on marbles…

I think you probably came down the Alistair Lees- ended up at the quarry on the red route?

Mugboo

That’ll be the one 🙂

Simon

We didn’t see you, saw 5 people on the top of Minch Moor and that was it, very quiet considering the weather.

Northwind

Nice one! Took ChrisL of this parish for a first go on that today as well, we didn’t see many people around but if by any chance you spotted a chap on a Ragley Ti that was me, with Chris on a Mojo.

<oops, crosspost>

Hels and the innerleithen mtb racing crew deserve the thanks tbh, only reason I know about these trails is from their races. Not sure who built that one, before my time, Steve Deas from Icycles is responsible for a lot of the offmap stuff though.

Mugboo

Well, thanks to them as we’ll!

For future reference, which of the downhills is the one to start on. Looking down some of them, they looked pretty damned scary..

Northwind

To be honest I get them all mixed up, on the map it’s 4 distinct trails but on the ground there’s wee trails everywhere, so I usually just end up following my nose. All pretty confusing!

Make or Brake is the easiest but it’s pretty jumpy, so you’ve got to be into that. Cresta or Gold Runs are probably the best place to start… Gold Run goes a bit steep and loose at the bottom after you cross the last push-up track, it’s a handful just now… But it’s ace further up. Or just follow random trails, they all go down 😉 Matador is good too, it’s best known for its 2 big drops but it’s got a lot of other stuff going on, downside is it’s over a bit fast- it goes straight down the hill instead of zipping around.

The nice thing about the dh trails is that you can change them around, they all cross the 2 main fireroads and the bottom pushup so you can easily do, say, upper gold then middle cresta then bottom matador to mix it up.

Mugboo

Thanks dude, if only I lived 4hrs closer 🙂

Nevermind, as Arnie says, “I’ll be back”!

Simon

Aye, would be great to have a hill like that locally to play on. When’s the next trip then?

Simon

Uplift day next time? 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Northwind – owe you a thankyou.’ is closed to new replies.