Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nokia's new Windows phones
  • footflaps

Probably not the feedback they wanted – lavish do to launch new phones, followed by traders wiping 15% off their stock value shortly afterwards.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/05/nokia-unveils-smartphones

Have to say, I feel a bit sorry for them….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a big Nokia office near us in Farnborough. It’s not that old, I remember it being built, but now it’s abandoned, just left empty.

footflaps

There was a huge Symbian presence in Cambridge – not that much of it left now.

Windows 8 mobile does look quite interesting, I’m tempted to get one just to see what it’s like compared to the iPhone.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that Microsoft will want to make sure Nokia succeed, and with the rise of Windows 8, Nokia phones will start to look better and better.

Do they run Metro? So you could have the same apps on PC, tablet and phone?

hopster
    Free Member

I’ve had a windows phone 7 for the past 20 months and I think its a great OS. I really like the new Nokia 920 and I’d be happy to upgrade to one when my contract is renewed in Jan. Like the people hub that pulls in all the feeds from facebook, limked in etc… UI is really intuitive IMO and I like the built in integration with skydrive to back everything up.

Really like the nokia off line mapping and the idea of wireless charging and other accessories although I bet they won’t be cheap. The camera with image stabilisation and looks a cut above the current crop of smartphone cameras and people bemoaning the fact they haven’t used 41mp sensor are just muppets. Who the hell needs photos that size. Loved the idea of the ‘lens’ apps. Really cool stuff.

footflaps

Do they run Metro?

I’m not sure how compatible they are, although the latest version of Visual Studio has loads of tools for W8 on phones, so maybe all the .NET stuff works on both.

molgrips
    Free Member

Converging the three platforms is a very interesting idea.

Suddenly instead of there being PC developers and tablet phone developers, there are just metro developers and all their efforts can be used across all three platforms. Developers only need learn one platform and they can access three markets rather than just two, the extra third one being very very big.

I may start learning about Metro.

BoardinBob

Times must be tough at Nokia as their guy appears to buy his jeans from George @ Asda

footflaps

I also have to confess I’m getting a bit bored with my iPhone. I remember been blown away by the Retina display, when it came out, but the novelty has definitely worn off now and I hardly use it for anything other than checking my email occasionally and making calls.

footflaps

Times must be tough at Nokia as their guy appears to buy his jeans from George @ Asda

Yep, he did seem a bit scruffy. Poss trying to do a Steve Jobs, but he just looks a bit unprepared…

lodious
    Free Member

My Mrs picked up a Nokia / Windows phone a few weeks ago, and I must say, I think it’s pretty good. The sat nav is far better than Google maps and I found it pretty intuitive to use. The only downside is that I think you have to install an application (Zune) on your PC to transfer music to it, otherwise I’d get one.

The phone was dirt cheap (7.50pm w/free phone on a decent contract). I’m pretty impressed.

BoardinBob

Yep, he did seem a bit scruffy. Poss trying to do a Steve Jobs, but he just looks a bit unprepared…

I’ve seen others trying to ape that Steve Jobs-esque “cool guy” appearance at new product launches and it’s always been a cringefest. The worst I’ve seen was the CEO of Gibson guitars at the launch of their Firebird X guitar, when he turned up in the worst dad rock outfit in the history of the universe 😳

uwe-r
    Free Member

My misses just got a Nokia something and I have to say the phone looks / feels great and the operating system is excellent – not looked at the instructions once and very easy to set it up as required and access everything with ease. I can see them making a come back as the phone market is incredibly fickle, blackberry appear on the slide now.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I got really bored of ios and switched to windows phone. It wouldn’t do everything I wanted/needed it to so I switched to a Samsung galaxy S3.

Don’t think I’d go back to ios now.

JohnnyPanic

lodious – Member

The phone was dirt cheap (7.50pm w/free phone on a decent contract). I’m pretty impressed.
    Who was that with please?

lodious
    Free Member

It was at the Carfone warehouse, phone was a 710, network was Carfone’s own (which I think uses Vodafone). It was a weekly deal so dunno if it’s still on, but they have this….

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/NOKIA-LUMIA-800/MONTHLY?intcmp=HP_Aug_Lumia800SD

which looks like a better fone on the same tarrif, but slightly more dosh.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

And is prepared to be seen in the same frame as monkeyman Ballmer.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=steve+ballmer+monkey&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=_pRIUMzCIeGx0AWT04DgCQ

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nokia's new Windows phones’ is closed to new replies.