Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Nobel Prize for Peace – oh yes the EU of course
  • mcboo
    Free Member

They say irony died the day they gave it to Henry Kissinger

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/12/nobel-peace-prize-2012-live

IHN
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

The same EU/NATO who launched unprovoked attacks on Libya and sanctions on Iran?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kettle’s on.

IHN

Although your thread now has more replies than mine 🙂

Anyhoo, it has (mostly) stopped Europe bashing the crap out of itself for 70 years, which is no mean feat.

mcboo
    Free Member

The same EU/NATO who launched unprovoked attacks on Libya and sanctions on Iran?

That would be NATO…..and thanks for making my point for me, yes they should have given it to NATO.

IHN

You know that the EU and NATO are different right?

And that they were criticised for wading in in Libya, and they’re criticised for not wading in in Syria?

And that the Iranian sanctions are not exactly ‘unprovoked’, they’re part of a much wider and more complicated problem about a not entirely stable with a stated aim of obliterating a near neighbour middle-eastern power potentially gaining a nuclear weapon?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I regard the EU and NATO as conjoined.

IHN

Oh, okay. Never let the facts get in the way of an opinion and all that.

Garry_Lager

What garbage – may as well give the prize to the moon, for peacefully lighting our way through the darkness.

Better choice than this year’s chemistry prize, though.

mcboo
    Free Member

At least they didnt give the EU the prize for economics…..

konabunny
    Free Member

Unreal. They gave it to Barack Obama, Arafat and Peres previously. Would be better to give it to Gene Sharpe or to noone than to the EU.

mogrim

Not sure why anyone pays attention to the Peace Prize and the Literature prize, they seem totally meaningless to me. (And I say that as an EU fan.)

footflaps

Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Saville yet on this thread yet? Was he in the running for it?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

then you should contribute a bit more to kaesae’s threads.

Cougar

‘s a point actually.

The EU has won the prize. We’re (mostly) all members of the EU. Ergo, we’re now all joint winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.

mogrim

On the positive side, I like to think what it’s doing to that nice Mr. Farage’s blood pressure.

mogrim

The EU has won the prize. We’re (mostly) all members of the EU. Ergo, we’re now all joint winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Peace, man!

konabunny
    Free Member

Not sure why anyone pays attention to the Peace Prize and the Literature prize, they seem totally meaningless to me. (And I say that as an EU fan.)

What was it that drove you to post here three times, then?

mogrim

What was it that drove you to post here, then?

Er, it’s a discussion about the prize? I may think the prize itself is meaningless, but the award’s all over the media, which affects me directly.

Besides, I like arguing 🙂

Edit: sneaky edit there. Now four times.

konabunny
    Free Member

Edit: sneaky edit there. Now four times.

Not sneaky – I just couldn’t keep up with all the times you were posting on a thread about a thing that you think it without meaning.

phil.w
    Free Member

we’re now all joint winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Just added it to my CV 8)

IHN

I’d like to thank my parents (love you!), my beautiful girlfriend who lights up the whole world with her smile, my manager, the amazing team that I work with (this is for all of you guys!), the support I’ve had from all my family and friends, they’ve been there for me through everything

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well if you consider the history of europe it has done rather well in preventing war.

Certainly not the worst winner or the most random either which probably says all we need to know about the peace prize.

mcboo
    Free Member

Well if you consider the history of europe it has done rather well in preventing war.

Nope

NATO

singletracked
    Free Member

Well you haterz can say what you like, I’ve added it to my CV

Junkyard
    Free Member

preventing war in Europe was my point but i should have made it clearer – obviously I am not claiming there have been no wars since the Eu was formed but none within Europe [ of members state v member state.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Nobel Prize for Peace – oh yes the EU of course’ is closed to new replies.