Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nobby Nic / Hans Dampf combo
  • bgd
    Free Member

New bike came with Nobby Nics as standard, while the rear is fine I have absolutely no confidence in the tyre on the front.
    Had a go on a mates bike with Hans Dampf front and rear and was very impressed. Does anyone run a Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear combo and rate it?
    Cheers

slackalice
    Free Member

Yes. On my PYGA. 2.35 HD front and 2.25 NN rear, tubeless. Works for me, on this bike. I use other combo’s on other bikes.

campfreddie
    Free Member

I run Hans Dampf / Racing Ralph combo. It works perfectly. The a racing ralph keeps the back nimble and loose and not at all dragging on fire roads. The Hans Dampf cling like nothing else and provides a grata safety net.

I switched to this from nobby Nics front and rear which I had run many times before but never had huge confidence at the front,

Alex

I ran that on my FS 29er. Thought it was a good all round combo. Still pretty fast rolling, plenty of grip on the front. Ran tubeless from the off and had no issues on rocky trails. Rear NN always felt a bit squirmy compared to the front, but definitely a good all-year compromise.

Only switched when the DHF became available for the 29er.

bgd
    Free Member

Cheers all, sounds like a plan.

mattjg
    Free Member

I found HD carries too much mud to be a viable UK winter tyre. Spesh Storm Control is doing it for me. Nic on the back is fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sorry I mean Butcher Control 2.3 not Storm Control.

j3ffo
    Free Member

I run that exact combo. Overall am pretty pleased with it. Will change to HD rear for alps or racing though as NN can be a bit fragile

chris_db
    Free Member

Just get a pair of PaceStar HD’s – problem solved.

sodadr
    Free Member

Will change to HD rear for alps or racing though as NN can be a bit fragile

I tried that HD front NN rear combo, set up tubeless. I was less than impressed with the grip on the rear on rocks and roots so I wasn’t too upset when a knob tore off the NN on the fourth time using it leaving a 1cm split in the casing and Stans jizz everywhere. The grip issue may have been due to using the harder Pacestar compound though. I then put a Maxxis 3c High Roller 2 on the rear. I found this gripper but draggier than the Nobby Nick, and maybe I’m wrong but draggier even than the Hans Dampf I had on the rear before the Nobby Nick. A Hans Dampf is going back on the rear when the hr2 is worn and I’ll just put up with the rapid wear.

ratherbeintobago

Do you know what compound NN’s you’ve got?

kimbers

Almost exactly the same experience as sodadr
    I wasnt too bothered about the lack of grip with the nn on the rear as they were fast but when the sidewall tore I went back to the draggy hr2 , might try an ardent or a smorg on the rear- when 650b ones out

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic / Hans Dampf combo’ is closed to new replies.