Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • No ISCG mounts, so which chain guide should I use?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

Currently have a Middleburn RS8 triple with an XTR front mech. 34.9mm.
    I would like to use a single ring, so just going to use the middle ring and some shorter chainring bolts. Chainring doesn’t have much in the way of shifting ramps so should be fine, I’ve used the same kind on my SS and it was fine, although it has a single-specific ring now.
    Anyway, back to the question. The bike concerned is a 2008 Kona Stinky which has no ISCG mounts. Which chain device would the collective recommend? Going to have to be either seat tube or BB mounted, maybe both, I would like top and bottom retention gadgets. It will be a 32t ring, may go to 34 when it wears out and I get a single-specific one.
    Cheers guys.

transporter13
    Free Member

Just buy a bb iscg adapter. You can get them in both old and 05 variety.
    Put a wanted up in the classifieds and I’m sure there’ll be one knocking about somewhere.

Then you can run whichever chainguide you want. ie e13 ls1 or mrp g2 or similar.

andrewh
    Free Member

Didn’t know they existed! Thanks. Tenner off fleabay.
    Just got to choose a guide now…

BearBack
    Free Member

MRP Lopes SL

This in BB mount version as pictured.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

andrewh
    Free Member

Big thanks to Transporter13 (and chunky for saying the same thing several hours later 🙂 )
    Bought an adapter and an MRP S4 with bash guard, problem solved. Waiting on delivery now.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thing is, iscg tabs were invented for a reason: relying on the ‘tightness’ of the BB cup to hold the chainguide in the right place is likely to end in disappointment…

although you may be lucky.

if you’re not lucky, you may find that a DMR seat-tube clamp comes in handy

linky

you may be able to find/drill a hole in your guide so you can ‘tie’ it to the clamp

gonzy
    Free Member

if you’re not lucky, you may find that a DMR seat-tube clamp comes in handy

i had one of those along with the guide amny years ago…i binned it after 1 ride as it was utter rubbish!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

this thing?

i find them quite handy myself…

(for securing chainguides on frames without iscg tabs)

Northwind

Just how hard do you ride it? You might be happy with no chain device, and just a thick/thin chainring- retention is certainly better than any top-only device.

I use a BB mount double guide on another bike and my useful hint is, dirt. Bit of crunchy dirt between the shell and the chainguide, and a bit more between the chainguide and the BB, holds things in place much better. You could use carbon paste or something, no doubt, but my bikes always have plenty of dirt available (the only danger is that I occasionally left a clean spot)

gonzy
    Free Member

this thing?

yes that thing….it would slide around on the seat tube no matter how tight the bolt was…ruined the paintwork.
    also the guide relied on that one bolt to keep it secure and would also move about. it different rubber spacer to get the space between the plates right but they were rubbish as you needed to tighten them up to stop the the whole thing coming loose and and doing so this would compress the rubber spacers thus defeating the object…

andypandy85
    Free Member

E13 LG1 Trail guide, BB mounted. Got one on my hardtail, ridden all sorts with it and not dropped the chain once.

Andy

tony07
    Free Member

Gamut p20 bb mounted. Been on three bikes now, one hard tail never had an issue with it. Easy to set up once you know what you’re doing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘No ISCG mounts, so which chain guide should I use?’ is closed to new replies.