Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • No-Cycling signs added to local woods
  • jekkyl

Is there any documented cases of someone prosecuted for cycling on a footpath or cycling where there’s no public access rights at all? I’ve searched the web to no avail.

stever
    Free Member

I wonder if something’s changed in Woodland Trust policy? Some laminated A4 ‘no cycling’ signs recently appeared nearby. I had to chuckle running through yesterday – a new path appearing next to the old one, with many hours of careful step work now falling into misuse. There’s an even older path taking the original fall line though the middle, that’s now completely overgrown.

Most of the erosion is done by rain, plus a bit of feet, a small amount of horse and a smaller still amount of tyres. The signs are gone now though. They’d have a job banning rain, so I guess bikes are easier to blame.

butcher

Is there any documented cases of someone prosecuted for cycling on a footpath or cycling where there’s no public access rights at all? I’ve searched the web to no avail.

The question has been raised on here before and the general consensus then was that there haven’t been any succesful prosecutions, though I wouldn’t quote that.

What is clear, is that it’s a civil matter between you and the landowner. And if it ever reached a courtroom, it’s not entirely clear if a bicycle would be seen as a ‘natural accompaniment’, for which case law would provide a useful guide.

One problem with erecting signs like this is the conflict it causes. Between people sharing the same space for the same reasons. From first hand experience they help support prejudices.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I ride wherever there is path and public access is permitted.

However I will choose not to ride places where the trail is heavily eroded / gopping. Sadly many of there trails would benefit from being left alone during the wetter parts of the year, yet the horse brigade (amongst others) choose to ride through the winter, turning some of them in to quagmires which are difficult to walk and impossible to ride. There are some lovely woods near me which are NT owned and there is a large concrete block with a No Riding sign (referring to horse riders), which is ironically is right next to the most churned up trail in the woods. They choose to ignore requests too…..

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘No-Cycling signs added to local woods’ is closed to new replies.