Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • No Country For Old Men – pressurised air device Q
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

asides from the fact its a great movie (with a true bad ass baddie) , is it possible to blow a lock/barrel clean from a door with a pressurised air cylinder without needing the arm strength of Chuck Norris to hold the device in place?

Seems implausable to me.

I presume the device has a bolt which fires outward upon release of air pressure? but it would still need holding firmly in place or it would simply kick back, right?

boxelder

It’s a captive bolt – like those used to slaughter livestock during foot and mouth.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s the same principle as firing a bullet from a gun. The bolt is small and light compared to the gun/hand/arm/body of the individual holding it so there is some recoil, but nothing that a normal person can’t deal with.

The person dealing the death/lock damage isn’t using their strength to break the lock, they’re merely providing inertia against the force pushing the bolt out.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I struggle to understand how the captive bolt could break the lock free from its mount and clean across the room without considereable recoil as it strikes the surface of the lock?

donsimon
    Free Member

On a similar vein, can Superman really fly? 😉

iDave
    Free Member

DS – what doubts are you trying to raise about Superman?

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing at all, he can clearly fly, my mistake. Sorry. 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

I struggle to understand how the captive bolt could break the lock free from its mount and clean across the room without considereable recoil as it strikes the surface of the lock?

Just watching it myself, and was thinking this, as I do every time I watch it. All depends on the mass and velocity, as that lock thing looked pretty heavy when he picked it up and when it hit Moss, and it was obviously travelling pretty fast, but no where near fast enough to kill him, so as it might have the same mass as a huge calibre bullet, but no where near the velocity, would have a recoil somewhere between a small pistol and an assault rifle, at a guess.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve never seen superman take off from a conveyor belt, which brings into question whether aircraft real can.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its a physics thing. Small mass, high velocity, limited recoil.

slimjim78
    Free Member

so its confirmed. an air cannister/cylinder can produce enough PSI to shear the metal barrel/lock, without any real sign of recoil.

I love physics me.

nickjb
    Free Member

so an air cannister/cylinder can produce enough PSI to shear the metal barrel/lock, without any sign of recoil?

They store up plenty of energy, you’ll be in trouble if it all comes out at once.

This cylinder took off someones hand and some large chunks out of the brickwork:

Stoner
    Free Member

owowowowowow!

did he get any of his hand back?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

that film would be so much better with a happy ending

edit: or beginning, or middle

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘No Country For Old Men – pressurised air device Q’ is closed to new replies.