Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No comic relief here please.
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

No but really, The House of Nutt donates to various charities both monthly and weekly via direct debit, I’ve thought long and hard about who we donate to. I know that the money I give away goes directly to the charities and gets put directly to the purpose intended because I’ve checked them out personally and get I get regular updates.

But what happens to the money raised by this annual day of binge tin rattling?

Anyone know what percentage goes directly to the charities without being skimmed by admin/collection companies?

yes I’m cynical about this, But I’ve often found that where there’s Brass, there’s often muck. I believe in responsible and transparent donation, collection and end result.

Comic Relief does have a tacky air of media circus to me, I’m sure it does lots of good and it encourages donations by folk who may otherwise never donate, Perhaps its just because I hate tin rattling?

Comic Relief gets on my tits. How about you?

scraprider
    Free Member

I also give when and were i can / afford to , not much but im sure it helps , i do object to having it stuffed down my neck all nite on the telly , saying that i shall be drinking vodka so i may fall asleep in front of the p.c

simonralli2
    Free Member

We shaved off our colleague’s hair for charidee today. He got his girlfriend to buy some black hair dye for our muder mystery fancy dress party last weekend, but it turned out to be permanent dye, hence discussions in the office as to what to do. Well anyway, we raised £660 and our company are going to match it so not bad for a haircut huh?

We had colleagues in both Leeds and London on video conference to watch too.

http://www.youtube.com/garthmoraine

jam-bo

dunno. its passed me by this year. some stuff going on at work today but i’ve been in meetings all day.

nickc

My kids love it. Mind you, that’s more, I think due to the fact that I let them stay up as long as they like.

loddrik
    Free Member

I cannot stand it, thank god for tv on demand (the wire)

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve come on STW tonight because of Comic Relief. To me it’s just largely not funny and just goes on and on – spare me! I will shortly be going to the pub.

Give me Miller and Armstrong, The Fast Show, Harry and Paul or somesuch, but not Lenny “Used to be a bit funny” Henry.

If people enjoy watching it and the organisers raise lots of money, then all’s great.

I hope the money gets distributed to the kids and doesn’t get eaten up on “costs”.

BTW. We do make a donation.

Radioman

Gave them some money tonight a few minutes ago, but when Jonathan Ross appeared I wish I hadn’t ! TBH I think there is always a risk with admin in charity but I would hope at least that this one is well audited. Find it quite hard watching suffering so had to open the wallet!

AdamW
    Free Member

I have the personal view – in regards to everything like this (busking etc.) that if I watch/listen then I donate. I’ve seen the first hour or so and there have been some funny bits so a donation has been sent. I must admit that I avoid Children in Need like a plague though. At least Comic Relief is on every other year.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Lenny henry and Ruby Wax – ‘Relief for Comics’ more like.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the comic bit is. Haven’t laughed at all. Relief is when I walk through to the computer to come here to give myself a break from it.

Davina’s looking hot though. 😈

binge tin rattling

classic Mr Nuttism

jimmythecuckoo
    Free Member

Just dont make me watch those celebs going up a mountain again please… shocking.

miketually
    Free Member

Seems to be a bit of an advert for Sainsburys now. Two minutes ago they showed the story of a 12 month old who dies of malaria.

Why can’t we send cash without needing the free adverts and ‘comedy’? We can give billions to bail out banks FFS.

miketually
    Free Member

Grand total currently £29,748,187. What’s that as a percentage of the cash we gave to the banks?

Think of the needy!

alpin
    Free Member

didn’t see this post before starting one along similar lines.

agree with Nutt.

think we should give money based on the threat that if we don’t they will show comic relief. a sliding scale prehaps so that if X amount isn’t reached X minutes will be shown to keep the masses happy.

johnhoo
    Free Member

our management team spent all day washing cars in the works car park – for a fee of course.

mine’s such a shed inside that I was ashamed to let them anywhere near where they could see through the windows. So mine is about the only car that didn’t get cleaned.

brakes
    Free Member

even if admin, fees and whatever else shaves 30% off the final amount that’s still going to be over £35m quid going to good causes (current total is over £50m+)
    if Comic Relief didn’t exist, how much of that £35m would have been donated to charity?
    tin rattling may be annoying, but it can make those who would not ordinarily give to charity put their hands in their pockets and give

and comparing Comic Relief fund-raising to bank bail-outs is less than tenuous and a little glib

zaskar
    Free Member

I donate to loads of other causes but as I don’t own a tv and use the net or I’m at work like now then I never see or hear about comic relief.

I think it’s a good way of raising money for charity.

I just donated a £10 to some guy trying to raise money by cycling across the Uk to raise funds for treatment at a hospital where he was treated for a certain disease etc.

I do naked calendars for cancer reserach every year for where I work and raise a few grand. Not everyone has the time so comic relief appeals to a wider audience.

Donate to comic relief if you want-they don’t force us. I might chuck in a few quid later.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No comic relief here please.’ is closed to new replies.