Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nikwax – whats the difference between basewash & techwash?
  • organic355
    Free Member

?

PiknMix
    Free Member

The basewash, gets all the really mucky rubbish off and the techwash re proofs the fabric, I have found the base wash of the grangers range followed by the Techwash from nikwax to be the best combination, but then I lie around on rocks a lot so get my outdoor gear absolutely trashed.

organic355
    Free Member

bugger so I really need both then?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought the techwash was the soap free cleaner, notthe reproofer.

As for the base layer, have you tried halo?

speed12
    Free Member

Tech Wash and Base Wash are essentially the same, but the base wash has a sort of “conditioner” in it to make sure your base layers stay soft (so say Nikeax when I asked them a year or so ago anyway). There isn’t really any reason you couldn’t use Tech Wash though. TX Direct is the re-proofing part.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Basewash is a Deodorising cleaner and conditioner for synthetic technical underwear and wicking clothing worn next to the skin

Whilst Techwash is a cleaner of your wet weather gear and helps keep them breathable

and DX Direct to add water repellency to waterproofs

Only ever used Techwash and DX Direct myself

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I thought base wash was as the name suggests for removing the stench that builds up in base layers and fleeces over time. Washing waterproofs in base wash is a no no, as it must have biological stuff in it to destroy the bacteria – and probably attacks a waterproof membrane or coating too.

Tech wash is the stuff to wash water proofs with.

You’ll still need the re-proofer with tech wash.

organic355
    Free Member

I thought the tech wash was the re-proofer?

this stuff in the wash in version?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28503

BadlyWiredDog

Techwash is a soap-based cleaner for waterproofs and softshells that doesn’t compromise the factory water repellent treatments or leave a residue on the fabric.

Basewash is a cleaner specifically for baselayers, has a ‘deodorising element’ – can’t really see the point of it, normal detergent works fine.

TX Direct is a water repellent treatment to be applied after Techwash to make the surface of the garment water repellent.

If you want an all in one washer and proofer, Grangers does one called Two In One (or something like that) which both washes and reproofs at the same time. Only snag with that is you need to heat treat the garment after use with with a tumble drier on low or a careful ironing session.

You may not actually need to reproof after washing with Techwash. If the factory DWR is still working – see if the surface of the garment beads if you splash water on it – then that’s fine. And tumble drying or heating with an iron (carefully, see care label) may also revive the factory DWR).

But Basewash is a complete red herring as far as washing waterproof clothing goes.

Nikwax also has a new baselayer conditioner called Basefresh due out this autumn which you use in conjunction with normal detergent and is claimed to clean, reduce smells, soften and improve wicking performance dramatically. Smells a bit floral, but seems to work surprisingly well so far.

Alternatively just pop into your local supermarket and buy some pure soapflakes or the pure liquid soap stuff and use that instead of the techwash…

[sorry, that was dull as even by my standards…]

BadlyWiredDog

I thought the tech wash was the re-proofer?

this stuff in the wash in version?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28503

No, it’s just soap. If you want a wash-in version of TX Direct you need ‘TX Direct Wash-In’. The spray’s for two-ply garments which have a separate mesh liner, the wash-in is for three-ply garments, which are just a single layer of waterproof fabric, no liner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nikwax – whats the difference between basewash & techwash?’ is closed to new replies.