Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Nice hotel with dinner in Yorkshire Dales / within hour of Settle
  • fubar
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a hotel with quality rooms and dining (no bike storage required this time). I don’t want to travel too far as it’s only for a night, perhaps within an hour of Settle (could get us into lower Lake District).

martinhutch

Home

Too pricey for the likes of me, though.

crankboy
    Free Member

The Angel at hetton is excellent food in good location rooms look good too but I have never stayed . The linked General Tarleton was nice food but odd location and average rooms.
    My favourite but may be pushing the hour is The Pheasant at Harome .
    Less expensive but good fun is the Gamecock at Austwick .

darthshearer
    Free Member

Gamecock in at Austwick is loevely

Devonshire Hotel at Bolton Abbey if you wanna splash some cash?

Fountaine Inn also at Linton

Yorke Arms too at the max of an Hour from Settle, thats over Pateley Bridge way and Michelin Star too.

ElShalimo

Tempest Arms, Elslack

lemonysam
    Free Member

The rooms at the Angel are great, as is the food. Would recommend it. The Gamecock’s nice too – more of a pub with rooms.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Crab and lobster Thirsk

darthshearer
    Free Member

When did Thirsk move into the Dales 😛

Canny place mind

fubar
    Free Member

I’ll check these out tonight but looks like some good ideas. I’ve wanted to eat at The Angel for some time but the look of the room photographs on the website haven’t impressed me, so I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed overnight. I prefer to stay in the main hotel rather than an outbuilding which is also against The Angel I think but I’ll not rule it out if the food is that good.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed overnight.

The rooms at the Angel are great, as is the food. Would recommend it.

There you go…

We’ve stayed over the road – The Cracoe Room I think – and round the back – The Sycamore? – Both very comfortable, well appointed, excellent amuse bouches delivered to the door, lovely bathroom, 30 seconds walk to the bar. All in all, very nice!

edit: I can see what you mean about the photos on the website, and to be honest the Cracoe in particular was slightly retro. It was done very well though and the bed was one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept on.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

The Hart’s Head, Giggleswick

kilo

May be of no use but well under an hour is the Falcon Manor in Settle. Nice rooms and good food, stayed there for the three peaks weekend

crankboy
    Free Member

I would not reccomend The Gamecock to you on the basis of your needs for the room . no ensuite shared bathroom down the corridor containing the pubs washing machine. quirky room . we loved it and would hapilly stay again but plush it ain’t .

slowoldman

The Craven Arms at Giggleswick perhaps? I haven’t stayed but it a nice place with a good reputation for food.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We stayed here
    http://www.oldhallinnandcottages.co.uk/home/4566716595

A few years ago, dunno if It’s changed but was really nice. Great food & lots of it, excellent beer. Great room we had too.

martinhutch

Had a highly indifferent (actually poor) meal at the Fountaine in Linton recently. Wouldn’t recommend it at all.

food at the Craven Arms is superb, not really a ‘restaurant’ atmosphere though, if that’s what you want.

ChrisE
    Free Member

The Traddock at Austwick is fab. For a cheaper deal, stay at Woodview B&B in Austwick and eat at the Gamecock. Austwick is 10 mins from Settle.

Hipping Hall is great that’s 25mins from Settle and towards the Lakes.

C

posiwev
    Free Member

Castle Green in Kendal is very pleasant, with the bonus of some good trails within 10 miles – stayed there numerous times – evening meals and breakfast very good also.

slowoldman

The Inn at Whitewell looked good on The Trip. Accommodating staff too!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Interesting, always found the Fountaine great but have heard mixed reviews. I really like it, but it does seem up and down.

Equally had a brilliant meal the the Devonshire Fell at Burnsall in the past and rooms look great but last time we went was dire. Food awful, staff had no clue and a rare complaint from us was left with a blank stare.

No 5 in Grassington is good service/food and rooms look pretty nice.
    http://www.grassingtonhousehotel.co.uk

augustuswindsock

simonstone hall just north of hawes is lovely and the food’s good, it’s also got the added notoriety of being the place where Clarkson lamped his producer iirc!

paule
    Free Member

Wensleydale heifer in west witton has been excellent on 2 occasions for us. Speedy,but great food & rooms

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve eaten recently at the Wensleydale heifer and it was indeed excellent. Also in that area is the blue lion at east witton which had a fantastic reputation some years ago (Julia Bradbury’s favourite pub iirc), I assume it’s still the case.

mt
    Free Member

Blue Lion still very good now owner back in charge. It’s a
    Long hour from Settle though. The Traddock mentioned above is excellent, cannot recommend it enough. Dog friendly also.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently the food at The Angel, Hetton isn’t as good as it used to be.

L’Enclume in Cartmel, may be within an 1hr of Settle if you put your foot down,

fubar
    Free Member

Some great ideas, if only the wife hadn’t changed her priorities and now it just has to be Lake District! We should be able to get around the Windermere area in an hour’ish. Problem I have now is that the decent ones I’ve looked at insist on a 2 night minimum stay including a Saturday.

Thanks for the Dales suggestions I’m keeping a note of them for when I get to choose !

rone

Would’ve like to recommended the Traddock at Austwick (great base for biking) – but the staff/management left us with a nasty taste in the mouth for a £600 three day stay.

The food was, however okay and it’s near Settle.

North Yorkshire Moors offers the pick for me – Feversham Arms, Black Swan (Oldstead) and White Swan (Pickering) are all very good but too far I guess.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

L’Enclume in Cartmel In Cartmel it is then

fubar
    Free Member

L’Enclume in Cartmel In Cartmel it is then

Perhaps but with the website under construction I’ll have to give them a call later to find out pricing and availability. I wasn’t intending spending more than £400 for dinner, bed and breakfast so we will see.

rusty90
    Free Member

Interesting, always found the Fountaine great but have heard mixed reviews.

I stayed there and was very disappointed. The rooms were tiny, the ‘secure bike storage’ they promised was a wheel rack in the courtyard and I sent the same meal back twice. Chef seemed to have totally lost interest in anything to do with food. The beer and breakfast were great though.

Had a fantastic meal at Grassington House and the service was great.

If you want something a bit different you could try the Hark to Bounty at Slaidburn (not in the Dales but fairly near to Settle). Gastro pub rather than restaurant food, but the rooms are upstairs in the old assizes, a bit like staying in a 17th century prison. If you’ve got a partner who believes in ghosts this provides some excellent wind-up opportunities 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Hipping Hall: http://www.hippinghall.com/

15 miles from Settle, fabulous food, fabulous rooms. I’m going back in a couple of weeks, and will work up an appetite for the tasting menu with a stroll up Whernside. Can’t wait!

lowey

Stayed at the New Inn in Clapham. Superb food although a limited selection of ale. Rooms were good though.

Home Page

ElShalimo

keep the Lakes suggestions coming, I’m looking for somewhere in December
    😉

ElShalimo

Evening bump

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Black Swan, Ravenstonedale?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

http://www.the-pheasant.co.uk/

was a favourite of my mum & dad’s, probly hasn’t changed much.

ElShalimo

Thanks essel but it’s a bit pricey for me. Was hoping to get digs under £100

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Nice hotel with dinner in Yorkshire Dales / within hour of Settle’ is closed to new replies.