Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Nice food and beer in York center?
  • ton

taking the youngest to york train station at teatime, so looking for a good eating and ales spot in the center…..idea’s please.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Not far from the train station there is a pub on your right, it’s called Thomas’s. It’s just over the bridge.

It’s really nice for food and usually has a couple of nice ales on draught.

There are loads of good pubs in York. It’s a real ale fans dream. Try and find the alcohol shop with the pub upstairs.

Also good ale wise it’s worth stopping at the York Tap attached to the train station.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for the York Tap. Usual starting point when the guys from our village have a night on’t town.
    Loads of Real Ale pubs in York, problem is too much choice really.

The eateries on Walmgate/Fossgate are very good.
    Meltons Two (Mix), Barbikan (Polish), Mumbai Lounge (Indian), Khao San Road (Thai).
    Very hungry now.

porlus
    Free Member

Brigante on Micklegate does good food and beer. Not far from the train station.

cranberry
    Free Member

If you want to separate eating/drinking then Red Chilli in York is very good ( and pretty good value on a lunchtime ).

http://www.redchillirestaurant.co.uk/york_gallery.asp

ton

thanks for the idea’s……brigante looks the winner. 8)

pussywillow
    Free Member

What about weather spoons?

grahamg
    Free Member

Is the evil eye lounge still open? I lived in York in 2005/6 – liked it until I realised all the jobs were in Leeds and the train company knew it 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

If you want a nice drink before you head into town there is a great real ale pub as you head down to Platform 4 inside the station.

It’s as good a place as any to start.

porlus
    Free Member

Evil Eye is still open. Not sure its totally youngster friendly though. Brigante has recently been refurbished with a new large dining area away from the main bar. So should be great for having a kid with you. Fancy a pint and a bite to eat myself now haha.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

grahamg – Member
    Is the evil eye lounge still open? I lived in York in 2005/6 – liked it until I realised all the jobs were in Leeds and the train company knew it

Yup, fantastic cocktail bar.

I like the living room, nice grub.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

House of Trembling Madness (just up from evil eye, same people) – beer and food place above a bottle shop, focus on belgian beer and cheese/meat platters – steep stairs up however so not super child friendly

porlus
    Free Member

Theres the Punchbowl almost opposite. Food isnt so bad (think its a Nicklesons pub) and beer is nice. Think its a choice of about 4 real ales.

Kryton57

In one of the backstreets there is a micro brewery, with a small lounge area for sampling and some excellent beers.

I can’t remember the name of the street or the place, so not much help really.

Enjoy 😀

yorkshire89
    Free Member

York brewery on toft green?

johndoh
    Free Member

A good pub near the station?

And no-one has mentioned The Maltings yet?

Poor show.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh, and also try the Lamb and Lion.

porlus
    Free Member

Maltings does really good pub grub for a good price as well.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Maltings and/or Brigantes -good beer and decent food.Both proper pubs.

The York Tap on station is good for real ale and grabbing a pie.

^ The Punchbowl is a Weatherspoons – alright if you like that sort of thing,but imo cannot compete with Brigantes/Maltings and many more of the pubs further into town (but not the Artful Dodger).

johndoh
    Free Member

Where is Brigantes? Not heard of it…

luffy105
    Free Member

Haha I’ve worked in York for 6 years and not heard of most of those. Unfortunately my commute is too far so rarely get the chance to out there. Whenever we have work nights out there we always go to the same curry houses and end up in the stone roses.

I’ve heard good things about the Blind Swine recently although it can be hard to get a table.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Brigantes is great, but for a little longer walk theres the White swan and the Slip in on Bishopthorpe road. Both do a great pint. If you head down micklegate and head off right as you near the bottom of the hill the Ackhorne is also excellent. Also, the cobbles on micklegate are a laugh on the pub bike at speed 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

House of Trembling Madness is ace!

Ate O’Clock is a cracking restaurant-not cheap or child friendly though.

porlus
    Free Member

Blind swine is brill. Really good food and cocktail tasting menu. Been about 3 times now. Its a 6 month waiting list for a fri/sat table. Mid week is easier to get in though.

ton

had a nice little jaunt in the end, and booked a test ride on a couple of airnimal folders for sunday.
    pubs we visited were,

Brigantes….fantastic lemongrass pale
    Blue Boar…okish silver king
    Three Tuns….nice boondoggle
    House of Trembling Madness…. ace schnieder wiess (sp?)
    Maltings….. crap magic rock curious on keg
    York Tap…. awesome Artisan summer blonde

a nice little mix….. 8)

Kryton57

yorkshire89 – Member
    York brewery on toft green?

I think it may well have been although when I went there were on 3 beers available for tasting (although Mrs K was pregnant so I had her tasters also 🙂 )

porlus
    Free Member

Brigantes….fantastic lemongrass pale
    Blue Boar…okish silver king
    Three Tuns….nice boondoggle
    House of Trembling Madness…. ace schnieder wiess (sp?)
    Maltings….. crap magic rock curious on keg
    York Tap…. awesome Artisan summer blonde

Nice selection of beer. Love that Boondoggle. Good pint of Silverking is at the Blue Bell on Fossgate.
    Where did you end up eating btw.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Nice food and beer in York center?’ is closed to new replies.