• This topic has 49 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • ‘NHS’ App told me to self isolate…but I haven’t been anywhere
  • sc-xc

Just had the ‘you need to self isolate for 10 days’ notification, which presumably means that today (?) I have been in the proximity of a positive case?

I haven’t been out though. Nor yesterday. In fact for days.

My wife is a nurse and tests twice a week, negative.

There is no info that I can find on the app to say where this contact happened

Any idea?

dannybgoode

Next door neighbours? BT has sufficient range to make it through walls. Happened to my sister recently…

Kryton57

Next door neighbours?

Likely that. We had a pest control officer around yesterday on the same basis.

5lab

The tracking isn’t fool proof, but its worth noting they track contacts back from a day or 2 before symptoms, so it could be someone you were in contact with in the last week

Onzadog
    Free Member

Colleague at work had similar. His wife was told to isolate via the app, but he wasn’t despite them not being apart for days. Was later told it was a glitch in the world beating track and trace app.

jodafett

My father in law has just been notified that he should self isolate but it turns out they were late in telling him, 8 days late so only has two more to go!

sparksmcguff

As others have said, may have been a contact from a few days before. It may also be a false match. There should be a phone number to call.

Unbelievably there are also fraudulent text messages following the NHS format going around! As I say there should be a number for you the call.

Drac

which presumably means that today (?) I have been in the proximity of a positive case?

No, it means you’ve been in contact with a positive case in the last few days. 48 hours from their onset.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d guess that if you’ve been told to self isolate for ten days rather than 14, it must be from a contact who tested positive 4 days ago.

spooky_b329

Yep, can be several days ago. You could be near someone Monday, they develop symptoms and get a test on Wednesday. Get positive result Thursday/Friday, and then they give the app permission to trace contacts on Saturday…thats 6 days since you saw said person.

And in Onzadogs example, wife was told to isolate due to contact with a confirmed case. I don’t think wifes husband would be told to isolate until the wife then developed symptoms, and subsequently got a positive test. Therefore confirming the husband has had significant exposure.

StirlingCrispin

Onza – self-isolation Is now 10 days.

Simon

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01144/en-us

Isolation now 10 days from last encounter date.

theotherjonv

I thought the app would tell you when you had contact with the person. When my daughter got the call it came on a Monday and told her the contact was the previous Thursday, and she had to do 10 days from the Thursday, not the Monday

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hard to keep up. Only last month, I had to isolate for 14 days due to a primary contact with someone at work. Week later I got symptoms so then had a test and isolated for 10 days while the symptom free wife had to isolate for 14 days.

Either way, surely the days since contact should come off the total isolation period.

sc-xc

Thanks all, just took LTF test and I’m negative

Drac

It’s 10 days now Onza has been for a couple of weeks someone gave your wife duff info. Sc-Xc you still have to isolate as you may be carrying it but no enough for a test to show up just now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems it changed on 17th December. Like I say, it was last month we were isolating.

When the information was relevant to us, we made sure we knew what was what long before the track and trace got hold of us.

sc-xc

OK drac my wife manages two covid isolation wards… But

Apologies drac I thought you were talki g about my wife. Too much eggnog, sorry.

Drac

No problem.

To be honest I may need to check the update now home tests are readily available.

olly2097
    Free Member

Difficult one. Me and the wife are casually seeing covid patients then casually walking about. By rights I should be in permanent isolation.

sparksmcguff

Until recently you had to isolate for 14 days if you had contact but no confirmed test. If you had a confirmed PCR test you isolated for 10 days. At the end of Nov the rules around isolating changed – 10 days for contact but no symptoms or test.

Additionally days are taken into account for delays in contacting, symptoms presenting, last negative test.

ell_tell
    Free Member

A friend of my wife got pinged by the app telling her to isolate for 4 days. Seemed like an odd timeframe to me so I thought it was a glitch… But reading above, maybe it’s just the app told her she had been in contact with someone 6 days late into the 10 day isolation period?

Drac

Yes Ell. There’s also the issue that some will wait days before contacting anyone that they have symptoms then a delay before test results come back it can be a few days after the contact.

I’ve no idea what Olly’s cryptic response is meaning.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab spent days in total isolation in his uni room – and kept getting warnings. Because the halls of residence are so compact his Bluetooth was triggering alerts.
    In total he had 17 days alone before managing to get a test (negative) so he bailed home that day and isolated again for 7 days in case.

nixie

Brother just been through this. He hadn’t been out for several days and got a ping for 10 days of isolation (on the same day his neighbour tested positive). That means contact on that day. He phoned the help line who told him the number of days is dependant on when contact was asked that given the neighbors test and BT range (modern semi, they sleep on other side’s of the same wall) he could ignore it.

jeffl

I had to isolate in Oct after getting symptoms and a positive Covid test. After the alloted self isolation period was over I got a notification on the app telling me to self isolate for a day. I presume it was related to my wife who got a positive test a couple of days after me.

onehundredthidiot

Scottish app pinged me for 14days isolation in October. A pal got pinged by English app a couple of days ago. 3hrs isolation. He sent a screenshot and yes 3hrs isolation.

airvent
    Free Member

Just don’t use the app, anyone could have predicted it would end up telling some amount of people to self isolate needlessly. Just let track and trace do its job.

Drac

It’s part of track and trace.

Flaperon

Just let track and trace do its job.

Have you had any experience with track and trace?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I don’t use Bluetooth on my phone for anything else, so I turn it off unless I’m going out.

airvent
    Free Member

Have you had any experience with track and trace?

Yes, they emailed me yesterday and i’m currently isolating because of it. Why?

They actually told my mother to ignore the app, because it got the date she needed to isolate until wrong.

asbrooks

It’s a waste of time. Mrs asbrooks is a teacher, her head has told her and her colleagues to remove it.
    Conversely, some parents are sending their children to school when they or someone in their immediate family bubble have test positive and are supposed to be isolating.

If this is practice widespread then it’s not doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

Flaperon

In the app there’s a “More Information” section which will give you the date you encountered someone who later tested positive. I was really impressed with how effectively it worked.

I was able to identify pretty quickly where it happened. At the moment my app says I’ve got 3 days to go while the email from Test and Trace says 8 days. Could be two different people, I suppose.

Another negative test result this morning so the cough and snotty nose I’ve had for a week is definitely just that – a cold. I’ve had two PCR tests through work and an NHS test in the last 14 days and am now an expert in gargling long cotton buds.

The only thing that was weird was that the text message from the testing people didn’t actually have the test result in it, just a code to put into the app. I suppose it’s one way of getting more users, but if you’re on an older phone that doesn’t support it you can’t know your result.

Drac

If this is practice widespread then it’s not doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

You can’t blame the app for people’s decisions. NHS staff are advised to disable the all whilst at work not delete it. I’d like to think people sending kids into school who should be isolating is unique.

chrismac

Uninstall the app. Track and trace has been such a farce I don’t take any notice of it. I’m swabbed every 2 weeks at work so that’s enough for me

Flaperon

^^ and now we know how it spreads so quickly.

theotherjonv

my wife and I had false positive app pings a few days ago, we both got a ping within a couple of minutes of each other. The day we were told we were exposed neither of us left the house, a couple of calls to our NHS worker neighbour reveals she’s had a +ve test and living in a mirror image semi our bedside tables are one set of breeze blocks apart.

We now have contact tracing set to off and only turn it on when in public places.

sparksmcguff

Uninstall the app. Track and trace has been such a farce I don’t take any notice of it. I’m swabbed every 2 weeks at work so that’s enough for me

No it really isn’t enough. Unless you’re isolating for those two weeks. You’ve been lulled into a false sense of security that’s putting you and others at risk. We’re swabbed every 5- 7 days and are hyper vigilant in our infection control. Even with these measures there are risks we have not been able to control.

Drac

I swab twice a week but still have the app on when not at work. Not I go anywhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘‘NHS’ App told me to self isolate…but I haven’t been anywhere’ is closed to new replies.