Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Newish Hope direct mount chain ring and chain suck issue .
  • carlos
    Free Member

What are peoples experiences with running a Hope crankset and direct Mount Hope N/W chain ring?

All the drive train in just over 7 weeks old and the chain just wants to hold onto the chainring, like the ring and chain are worn, but they’re not. It’s been to the LBS where I got it from and they’ve swapped the 2.5mm spacer to the NDS from the DS to straighten the chainline(I think this was more a short term fix as I was off to Spain with the bike for a week) but its still happening A LOT.

It does it in the largest sprocket and the next 2 down the cassette, its more noticeable when climbing and under load. Does it if its all clean or full of sh1te

So, is this the norm with the Hope setup??

Hope suggested to check the chain ring isn’t Boost (I’ll look later) as this has a shallower dish, but if its the right one what else could it be??

If it matters it’s on a Nomad, Hope BB, Crankset and 32T Hope direct mount chainring, Sram Chain, Cassette and mech

This has to be more annoying than a pissy little creak as I know what the issue is, I just don’t know how to fix it!!!

TIA

Carlos

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Non of mine have had this problem. Pretty much the same setup bar the Nomad. Sorry that’s not much use though, you haven’t got a bent tooth by any chance?

carlos
    Free Member

BS – Don’t think its a bent tooth as its on both the right and left pedal strokes, but I’ll have a look. Also I’m pretty smooth on the pedals and it hooks up/stays on at any point in the rotation

Cheers

Carlos

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’ve also got the same setup bar the Nomad and all is good – it’s the Nomad 😕

carlos
    Free Member

Humm, looks like more investigation is required as its not a Boost chainring 😥

Apparently a BB30 set up doesn’t work on the Nomad, so I’m going to look into what that is and if that’s what I’ve got.

Ho Hum 😕

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Are you running a chain device? This had the same effect on my canyon… also best way to solve is to remove 1 by 1 each component and run something diffetent.

excitable1
    Free Member

More expertise required PLEASE ???!!!

I ride with Carlos and it’s driving us mad.

It’s a 2016/2017 Nomad CC fitted with a Hope BB30 and with the 30mm axle Hope Cranks and a Hope direct mount chainring.

For those familiar with Santa Cruz it’s the usual ‘suck’ you get when you’ve chipped or bent the mech hanger slightly or you’ve replaced the chain but not the chain ring, or the rear mech bolt has come loose IE the chainring is dragging the chain over when you’re in the top rings of the cassette creating a grinding chatter and a bouncy chain. Observing it from the back it’s definitely across the ring and looks like a chain line issue.

It’s been doing it from the off so it’s not a wear issue and the mech hanger has been replaced and Loctite has been applied to the mech bolt.

There must be others out there with the same bike and set up, is this a compatibility issue or are we looking in the wrong place ?

Kahurangi

Is it because it’s now muddy and the miniscule clearance between the teeth and chain is being filled with grit, so the chain is getting stuck on the the chainring?

Can you reproduce it with the bike on a workstand?

My cheap NW chainrings had a bit of chainsuck when they were brand new. After a couple of rides it disappeared.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve never suffered chain suck on my 1x NW direct mount setup (not Hope) despite riding in some pretty muddy/quagmire conditions, however it must be not unheard of. I’ve just bought a new direct mount chainring along with a new SRAM GX 1×11 setup and went for a SRAM Eagle chainring which has an asymmetric tooth design that supposedly prevents chain suck (the teeth are more like a shark fin shape so the teeth disengage from the chain easier. So for SRAM to have specifically design anti-chainsuck features in then they must think it has been a big enough problem.

I’m not sure there is any such thing as a ‘chainsuck expert’. it seems like one of those things that can happen across a variety of setups and brands and is probably more of a result of the interactions of all the separate compoenents with the stack-up of small differences between setups making all the difference.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have this years Nomad with sixC cranks with a 30mm axle, hope 30mm bottom bracket and XTR 11 speed. I have no problems with chain suck. The chain used to drop down a few cogs from the top of the cassette if I back pedalled but that’s common on every 11 speed I have ridden. The problem pretty much seems to have gone away since I changed from a raceface ring to a blackspire chainring though.
    The only time I have ever suffered chain suck on previous bikes is when the jockey wheels have gone stiff and I have backpedalled without realising.

carlos
    Free Member

:oops:Oops!!

Apparently a BB30 set up doesn’t work on the Nomad,

is incorrect, it does work, I just read it wrong but then again I’ve read so much on this and found hardly anything out its easy to get confussed.

Are you running a chain device?

– Nope

Is it because it’s now muddy?

– Nope does it on clean lubed chain albeit not quite as bad and just spent a week in The Pyrenees and it was doing it there too.

Can you reproduce it with the bike on a work-stand?

– Nope. Only under load

Well its back at the LBS anyway and they are going to look at it as its doing my head in!!

Cheers

Carlos

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Newish Hope direct mount chain ring and chain suck issue .’ is closed to new replies.