Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Newcastlers, Travel Advice please
  • franksinatra

Coming down for the Great North Run in a few weeks so expecting it to be busy. Will be travelling down from Borders so thinking will drive down and get train in. Where would it best to Park and Ride from? Thought about Airport but could be expensive to park. Could easily go to Hexham and get train over. Any other thoughts?

dashed
    Free Member

Depends where in the borders you’re travelling from but you could get the Hexham train from one of the smaller stations like Stocksfield, Prudhoe etc where parking is free and the train journey is shorter… Although might be better option getting the Metro – will probably get you nearer the start line…

franksinatra

Metro from where, Airport or elsewhere? Coming down from Central Borders so A68 / A696

Just has a quick look at Trains from Hexham but the first isn’t until 10am which will be too late (unless they lay on extra trains that are not showing up on the timetables….)

warton
    Free Member

could you not drive to south shields, park there, metro to Newcastle, run to South Shields, pick up car, drive home?

If not, I’d park at four lane ends (Longbenton). fairly big multi-story car park there, metro ten minutes to Haymarket metro, which is the closest station to the start. then, coming back from shields on the metro, no need to change metro to get back to four lane ends.

EDIT: and four lane ends is very easy to get to from A1…

Drac

Kingston Park Park and Ride just off A1

Metro Park & Ride
    You can Park & Ride to Gateshead Stadium Metro station from the following main Park & Ride stations on the Metro system: Callerton, Regent Centre, Four Lane Ends, Northumberland Park and Heworth.

franksinatra

Kingston Park looks ideal, thanks!

hot_fiat

Morpeth or Kingston Park: Park at either station (NOT Tesco @ kingston park!) & 30 mins into town.

warton
    Free Member

yeah, Dracs Kingston Park suggestion trumps my Four lane ends suggestion for access to A1 🙂 Not nearly as much parking though….

TooTall
    Free Member

Northumberland Park would be my suggestion. Just off the old A1 so likely to be less busy than current A1 locations.

CaptJon
    Free Member

FYI induction week at Northumbria University is the day after the GNR so the city will be doubly busy with students moving into halls.

franksinatra

Access to A1 isn’t a big deal for me as I’ll be coming down A68 / A696.

Kingston Park looks perfect. Is there plenty of parking around if the Station Car Park is full?

hot_fiat

There’s a huge Tesco on the other side of the metro line. It’s filled with 2hour max signs. Dunno how strictly this is enforced though. You can also try Callerton Parkway. Local streets are full of double yellows due to the proximity of the station & rugby ground. If you head further into the estate there is street parking.

Shackleton

There is also lots of free on street parking just north of the gosforth metro station, plus a handy asda for last minute munchies / recovery pasty.

elma
    Free Member

You can park by Ilford road metro station, then its less than a mile to the start as a little warm up.

Iain

Kahurangi

You can park by Ilford road metro station, then its less than a mile to the start as a little warm up.

😆

My old neck of the woods. Narrow residential streets crammed with cars! Not where you want to be searching for a parking space!

Shackleton

Just been reminded that although the station is in North Gosforth it is actually called Regent Centre and is a 20 minute ride into the centre. Sorry about that. Parking at Gosforth Station proper is not so good.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Newcastlers, Travel Advice please’ is closed to new replies.