Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I can’t wait for TDF season to be over. Fat men in lycra…actually any men in lycra…suddenly appearing on my commute makes me want to wretch.
    You are not competing. You are a grown man wearing tights in a public place.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I often ride at sub-threshold HR. That’s when I get passed by other cyclists, usually blowing out of their arses and red-lining their tickers to get a ‘scalp’.

Leave them to it, try and pass me on a 3 mile 20% climb after 80 miles at 20mph. Then we’ll see how good you are. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Track-stands are for idiots, unless you are clipped in. Being “good” at it isn’t cool either.

LOL Shibboleth are you one of those guys I always pass on road rides who’s “just finishing a century!”? 🙄

ononeorange

Dear dear, apparently so many “rules” for riding on the road. It’s all so confusing, isn’t it?

But at least I know that if I should ever have to venture onto a road on my mtb, I must not overtake Al so I don’t hurt his feelings.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The OP’s point was he was quicker than a man in lycra.

Cool..

Trollist..

cynic-al
    Free Member

He was in baggies actually…with a yellow jersey.

The incident could have spawned so many threads…

partyboy
    Free Member

Just because a road rider ( in this case), where’s all the gear, shaves his legs and has an expensive bike etc, doesn’t mean he’s gonna be a fast rider

Think you need to re-read the OP 🙄

winterfold
    Free Member

al – more annoyance can be caused by clipping your jeans into one of these – I find it adds an extra frisson of delight to making the recent roady converts blow out of their arses.

jeans, t-shirt, flouro ankle band, i even put my visor back on my helmet to liven up the commute with a bit of a hustle – does this make me a bad person?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hahah what a shit thread – man pulls up to the junction in riding gear – man sits at the junction in jeans and tshirt – then expects respect from the guy in all the cycling gear?!!?!? 😆

i love the fact he wound you up just by being a normal everyday cyclist 😆 well done whom ever you, hats of to you may you be out there!

lets face it though – most road cyclists are cocks…

kaaaaabooooom!

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Do you expect everyone to respect you cos you are old and you wear jeans. Is your speed so obvious when you are standing still. You must be awesome. Are you Francis Rossi?

RealMan
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

But here’s a pic of my beautiful ribble for your pleasure.

And a picture of me pulling mad no handz sick trackstandz

HTH.

wwaswas

cables and hoses could do with a trim on the mtb.

RealMan
    Free Member

So I was told when I first built it up like 2 years ago. Still haven’t got round to it.

wwaswas

Two years?

*shakes head in disbelief*

Drac

“Quick, quick take a picture when I take my hands off!”

RealMan
    Free Member

😀

It’s legit, my mate was useless with the camera, so I had to hold it for like 30 seconds. I don’t practice it much, so I don’t think I can do it for much longer then that.

partyboy
    Free Member

It’s legit, my mate was useless with the camera, so I had to hold it for like 30 seconds

I can believe it, you look the sort of kid who hangs round the local chippy pulling wheelies to impress girls from year 12.

winterfold
    Free Member

It would be more impressive done on the road bike.

have you given the missus her gloves back yet? 😛

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Bar tape and saddle colour #FAIL.

😐

RealMan
    Free Member

It would be more impressive done on the road bike.

I can, just don’t have pictures of it. Like the gloves then..?

I can believe it, you look the sort of kid who hangs round the local chippy pulling wheelies to impress girls from year 12.

Thank you 😀

Bar tape and saddle colour #FAIL.

Rule #8 – Saddles, bars, and tires shall be carefully matched

Valid options are:

Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
    Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
    Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
    Black, black, black

Don’t question me on the rules, that bike is perfect – and now you just look silly 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You look about 12!

winterfold
    Free Member

“Don’t question me on the rules, that bike is perfect – and now you just look silly “

Are we absolutely positively certain about this?

winterfold
    Free Member

Rule #60
    / Ditch the washer-nut and valve-stem cap
    (2 violations)
    Rule #41
    / Quick-release levers are to be carefully positioned
    (front forward of fork)
    Rule #58
    / Support your local bike shop.
    Rule #73
    / Gear and brake cables should be cut to optimum length.

Cables should create a perfect arc around the headtube and, whenever possible, cross under the downtube. Right shifter cable should go to the left cable stop and vice versa.

😛

RealMan
    Free Member

I like dust caps, and the valve collar just makes sense.

The drop out on my fork doesn’t allow that, unless I put it on the right, which is a much bigger no no.

My cabling whilst maybe slightly controversial, is extremely neat and tidy, the pic doesn’t really do it justice though. I think that rule was made for cables that come from the hoods anyway.

You’ve got me on rule #58 though. I am a poor student 12 year old though, maybe let that one go? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

This truly is the thread that keeps on giving.

Me? The 13th Duke of Wimborne? Trolling on stw?

los
    Free Member

With your reputation? 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

how was the appraisal Al?

iain1775
    Free Member

I think if I came up to some lights and saw some old mad troll wearing jeans round his ankles and riding a bike of Tupperware, cutlery and stickytape I would do the Ribble wibble and shoot off pretty sharpish too

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yet to happen Bear…

antennae
    Free Member

Life’s too short, OP.

The commute race is fun. I like comedy teetering trackstands. I like a little sprint up the hills. Sometimes I pedal like a nutter to stay on someone’s wheel, and sometimes I cruise along as the Bromptons whizz by.

There are tons of bikes out there every morning now, so there’s always someone to cruise along with, sometimes even a mini-peloton. The more there are, the better. Riders should be sticking together, not sneering at each other at the lights.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS’ is closed to new replies.