Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS
  • binners

Can everyone please read this:

Bike snobbery

And then we can decide a pecking order for everyone on the forum. I’m aiming low

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Newbie Roadie here with the same sense of style as the other above but I’ve been looking at lycra this very morning.

Baggy mud/oil stained shorts and a mud splattered lid are just not cutting it or doing my beautiful retro steel Colnago justice.

In fact… once the lycra is bought the wife’s lady shave may well be coming out.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m a roadie, and I think the biggest nobs are commuters in jeans that want to be your friend and try to catch up with you and tell you how they are really a full on biker, they’re just using mudgards, jeans and mtb-spds on their commute.

They come out with drivel like “is that the 10speed Ultegra groupset? Are you going to upgrade to Ui2?” to try to convince you that you know what they’re talking about. Who gives a sh*t?

And the biggest numpties are the ones that misjudge traffic lights and have to stop/unclip, or don’t even have the basic skills to trackstand!

These are the same numpties that, after you’ve cruised past them, pedal like fury to hold your back wheel (you can usually hear them panting desperately to slow their breathing down) and then they pass you whilst trying to look like they’re not making any effort!

Arses, the lot of ’em.

pixelmix
    Free Member

* Makes note to look out for Al at lights on the way home *

I ride my singlespeed MTB to work, so I’m woefully undergeared on any fast sections. People on BSOs pull away on descents – terribly embarassing.

Passed a middle aged beardy bloke on the North Edinburgh cycleway the other week. I caught him up as he slowed over the bridge at Crewe Toll. A few minutes later he was breathing down my neck as I was spinning away on the slight descent towards Trinity/Leith. Not bothered about spinning any faster, I slowed slightly and explained with a friendly smile that I could clearly do with a few more gears. Grumpy old git gave me a blank stare before pedalling past and then pulling over again 200m later. How odd. I’m all for a bit of commuter racing, but I can only assume that the poor old codger needed a rest after his 500m sprint to catch me and my wildly spinning legs. Was it you Al?

ransos
    Free Member

Users of DHB & Ribble products are simply riders who want kit that works well, don’t wish to spend more than is necessary, and aren’t silly snobs. Real cyclists, in other words.

Dancake
    Free Member

I use ribbed products

Kuco

The bloke who wrote that guardian article does he post on here? He comes across as a complete **** so should fit in well.

los
    Free Member

I reckon Al has just sat back, lit his pipe and admired his handiwork…

This post is the gift that keeps on giving; made my morning anyway 😆

hora
    Free Member

I jumped three sets of red traffic lights (in sequence) yesterday morning entering Deansgate Manchester.

Does that make me bad?

BTW it was in a car.

Does that put me into the sameplace as Colonel Gadaffi with the Guardianista’s

partyboy
    Free Member

From Binners link:

2) Urban Cyclists generally laugh at people who wear brightly coloured Lycra, though they fail to find equal humour in their own colour-co-ordinated bicycles, boutique clothing, or the fact that riding for more than a few hours in jeans is liable to turn your crotch into a microcosm of the Everglades.

Dancake
    Free Member

I jumped three sets of red traffic lights (in sequence) yesterday morning entering Deansgate Manchester.

Does that make me bad?

BTW it was in a car.

as long as you legitimise it by veering onto the path slightly to cross the lights it’s fine.

chayle
    Free Member

cynic-al

‘Please respect your elders’

Chip and shoulder

I’m surprised you didn’t nudge him in front of a passing cab. How dare he take up a new healthy passtime and cycle near you of all people. I mean you’ve been riding since rims were made from stale bread. I say.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Well done, everyone, well done. I can’t work out where the troll ends and the genuine outrage begins. This is a whole ‘nother level of meta-trollery.

Sue_W
    Free Member

los – yup, I think that just about sums it up 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

BORING!! Blatent troll by cynic-al, surprised so many people have bitten.

You must be bored this morning Al.

neilthewheel

I’ve just remembered why I love this site!

GW
    Free Member

You forgot to mention the trailer full of kids.

Haven’t once commuted since becoming a parent. (or did you mean the mugs with trailers full of kids behind them stopped at the lights?)

D0NK

don simon – Member

While I’m not going to flame someone for rljing, doing it while another cyclist has stopped is a bit off.

Why?why do you think?

Dancake
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    While I’m not going to flame someone for rljing, doing it while another cyclist has stopped is a bit off.

Why?

why do you think?

they have just crashed?

wynne
    Free Member

A couple of months ago I was out on my cross bike in the lanes of Kent. Two roadies came up behind me and then went belting past me. I got on the rear wheel of one. After about half a mile he got dropped, so I got on to the wheel of the bloke at the front. After about another half a mile we got to a t-junction. The bloke at the front shouted back ‘Ha ha, we dropped that fat f***’. I enjoyed telling him that actually the fat f*** was still there, but that he had better wait for his mate. Hee hee hee. Nothing to do with respect or being the boss of the road – just very satisfying.

rewski
    Free Member

On a good day I’m faster or can keep up with a lot of roadies, I’ve got a fairly heavy mtb with road tyres, the amount of roadies that almost kill themselves in a desperate attempt to pass or loose me is ridiculous. A bit more respect all round is needed me thinks.

finmac
    Free Member

Damn……I cant trackstand either. What a numpty I am. *Googles “skills courses for numpties”*

Dancake
    Free Member

Damn……I cant trackstand either. What a numpty I am. *Googles “skills courses for numpties”*

you are a danger to yourself and others. I feel unsafe just reading your post

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You can’t trackstand????

finmac
    Free Member

Oh, you’re the one pointing at me, Jaundiceface!! With your 4 fingers and massive overbite! And whats with that waistcoat, fatty?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

THAT, is NOT a waistcoat. It’s a Paul Smith-designed Rapha gillet.

binners

I always think watching some lycra-clad nobber wobbling around like a Parkinsons sufferer at the lights, rather than simply putting their foot down, represents the ultimate expression of bell-endery.

If you were to wonder out load why some people think cyclists are ****s, this is Exhibit A your honour.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Trackstanders are try hard showoffs with crippling self esteem problems. Real men tracksit.

Dancake
    Free Member

some typical trackstanders

cynic-al
    Free Member

finmac

You appear to have somne serious issues – not least not “getting” the basic etiquette to which this thread relates.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

If you’re wobbling, you ain’t doing it right.

D0NK

I say! Steady on Binners.

Trackstanders are try hard showoffs with crippling self esteem problems.

possibly

Real men tracksit.

hmm

If you’re wobbling, you ain’t doing it right.

This ^

🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve got enough wobbling around as it is thanks.

finmac
    Free Member

I always think watching some lycra-clad nobber wobbling around like a Parkinsons sufferer at the lights, rather than simply putting their foot down, represents the ultimate expression of bell-endery.

If you were to wonder out load why some people think cyclists are ****s, this is Exhibit A your honour.

Ha Ha……I couldnt have worded that better……perfect and so true. Man this Cynic Al guys got us all hating each other……..wire jean wearing clown!!

EDIT
    …….Lol……I’m the one with issues?…….OOOOOOOK!

Junkyard
    Free Member

On a good day I’m faster or can keep up with a lot of roadies, I’ve got a fairly heavy mtb with road tyres,

no you cant unless you have really slow roadies.
    I reckon my mtb with slicks is about 15-29% slower than a road bike over say 10 miles
    trackstanding is for showing off well it impresses my kids

Dobbo

cynic-al – Member

finmac

You appear to have somne serious issues – not least not “getting” the basic etiquette to which this thread relates.

It’s finmac that has made this thread worthwhile, and the use of the word bell-endery.

Dancake
    Free Member

+1 for bell-endery

wwaswas

It’s finmac that has made this thread worthwhile

+1

a man for whom the word ‘troll’ has no meaning.

rewski
    Free Member

no you cant unless you have really slow roadies

maybe, or I’m really fast 😉

I seem to recall a whyte bikes rider beat roadies on a mtb?

EDIT: linky

radoggair
    Free Member

I think its been very clear for a long while that any type of road riding, especially commuting, is a race when you catch someone you dont know. Its just how it is.

Also, those who seem to think that ‘real roadies’ are ones who after 1/2 mile of sitting on their wheel seem to get dropped are in for a big shock when they meet proper road( or all fast cyclists) riders. These guys can quite happily let you sit on their wheel for 1,2,5,10,50 or whatever miles and know they could hammer it and lose you at the drop of a hat.
    Just because a road rider ( in this case), where’s all the gear, shaves his legs and has an expensive bike etc, doesn’t mean he’s gonna be a fast rider

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS’ is closed to new replies.