Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • newbie rider & trek fuel resto thread (my build)
  • kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Hey guys im fairly new to the mountain biking, i was introduced to llandegla by a friend a a month ago an i am compleatly hooked , naturally im abit of a thrill seeker/stupid 😉

I purchased this fuel 80 for a fair price (on here)  to test the water and have now started to give her abit of a rebuild 😉 so please help me out with tech questions when needed  lol

Bikes spec was already pretty good , hope caliper conv, fox feont n rear sus, botranger bits etc.. Im waiting on new bars and stem to 😉

How i bought it 

Started strip down

[IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/xpackken/20130822_183413_zpsaf4e93da.jpg[/IMG]

Paint stripped of frame for respray (painter by trade)

[IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/xpackken/20130822_215404_zps9e9e28f8.jpg[/IMG]

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Frame is now being powder coated !! More durable

Started work on the swing arm today

portlyone

Starting in at the deep end I see!

wwaswas

Thorough job!

you know that the chain has a joining link in it that you should be able to undo to break/remove it and then rejoin later?

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Ha ha yeah you could say that 😉 never worked on a cycle but im not bad with tools being a classic car nutt! Its all nuttz n bolts at tge end of the 😉

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Wwawas can this be done without the propa tool ? Been working around the bleesing thing all day coz couldntbe bothered going to get the tool lol

portlyone

It’s in the third pic of the second post, the gold link. Squeeze that link (along the length of the chain) together and twist, it should part.

wwaswas

what he said – squeeze the two plates together and slide.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Beaten to it.

shifter
    Free Member

Nice project, looking forward to seeing end results.

I’d have probably knocked out the beadset before coating mind.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Beadset is now out, was going to mask it before i decided to powder coat .

. Chain an rear mech now off, i am left a little worried though that i wont know how to re tune all my gears in as they was working perdectly or am i just flapping will they just work again lol 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

jonathan
    Free Member

Once you’ve put it back together you’ll know pretty much how to fix/service/clean everything on your bike. Reminds me of how I learnt how bikes went together when I was 14 😉

You’ll probably find the Park Tool site useful, eg:http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/categories/derailleur-systems

greeble
    Free Member

powdercoat the frame without the headset in there

portlyone

If you’re using the same derailures then unless you’ve changed the settings/limiter screws it should work as it did before.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Ok well thats one less worry then lol and can the derailure only go back on in 1 position?

dc11
    Free Member

Kenztwinturbo – I’m Simon’s mate who put you onto the Trek from here, no doubt we’ll meet soon.

Good luck with the project!

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Dc11 nice to meet/speak to you ha ha… yeah it was meant to be just to dip my toes in the water 😉 i have gotten carried away though but the bikes performed really well so thought it was worth the effort 😉

when will you next be out with si? , was out with si last week but hes going away 🙁 my bro in law is not long out of his hospital bed after his trip to llandegla with si either 🙁 🙂

dc11
    Free Member

Yeah, I heard about that… It sounded pretty damn nasty.

I’ll be away with Si too unfortunately, we’ll be back around mid September so will have to organise a ride.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Look forward to it mate 🙂

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Started prep on swingarm

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

what did you use to strip the paint? I got nitro moors for one of my bicks and it sucks!!!

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Lol i use a chemical called strip it pro.. i use it to bare metal classic car and u can pick it up at a car paint suppliers (not halfords) 😉

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Got some paint on swing arm

[IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/xpackken/20130826_173211_zps45594099.jpg[/IMG]

Forx have also had a refurb and colour change!!

[IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/xpackken/20130826_175231_zps75213794.jpg[/IMG]

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Hopefully frame will be picked up tomoz and you can all see what colour im going for 😉

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

cheers!

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

New hussefelt stem and answer bars

New nobbly nics well new to me but an ebay bargain 😉

Building up rear swingarm 

More updates later tonight 😉 

wwaswas

Making progress 🙂

Although I’d give the lawn a mow or people will turn against you 😉

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Ha ha, the missus is a lazy bi#ch <<her job 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

Out of interest why would you put the mech and brakes on before fitting the rear triangle back to the front? It’s going to be less convenient the way you’ve done it

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Because im bored waiting for my frame lol inpatiant 😉

z1ppy

😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘newbie rider & trek fuel resto thread (my build)’ is closed to new replies.