Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New XPG board and driver for all you home-brewers out there.
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

This looks interesting. Would probably make a good starting point for a all-in-one bar light as you don’t need to house a driver as well.

From Cutter:

We have a first run of 100 boards of our new Quiccpower407 Light Engine

This new PCB for the first 100 will be offered with your choice of leds to enable us to ascertain what the standard product offering should be. So you can choose from
    •all Cree XPG R5 Cool
    •Mix of Cool and neutral or Warm
    •Mix of XPG and XPE
    •You Choose
    The board will come in two variants Both will have switch pads. Both models could use a momentary switch
    Model 1 by closing the switch will toggle 3 modes, 3 leds on, 4 leds on or all 7 leds on. It will also include an off position
    Model 2 can have variablity with 256 full PWM steps. This resolution will remove any flicker. This version can offer smooth dimming by holding down the switch until the desired light level is acheived

1A Drive Current +/- 10%
    Min 10-18 Vin
    Thermal Foldback is set at 60 Deg C

Max Power 20 Watt

aracer
    Free Member

Several major issues with using for bike lights though:
    – cooling with all those LEDs and the driver on a single board
    – optics
    – size (don’t know how big that is, but if you can get half decent optics for 7 XP-Gs arranged like that, it must be huge – if it’s not, basic physics dictates that any optics will be rubbish).
    – high required input voltage (most of us are using packs with lower voltage than that)
    – inefficient PWM dimming

poisonspider
    Free Member

I would have thought they’ve considered the cooling issue. I agree it will need to be mounted on fairly substantial heatsink but I’m sure it’s possible.

As for the size, granted there are no dims but from the component sizes I reckon its not disimilar to their XPG407S board which uses the Kathod optic. I’ve built a bar lamp using the 7up board and the Kathod optic and they work very well.

The voltage range is spot on for the likes of a Lumi 14.4V battery, again I’m using one with the lamp mentioned above.

Luminous
    Free Member

I’ve built a bar lamp using the 7up board and the Kathod optic and they work very well

Lets see it
    🙂

JonR
    Free Member

I’ve made my own beer in the past so I clicked on this thread only to find it was full of gibberish. Bad form.

poisonspider
    Free Member

JonR – what did you think XPG board and driver referred to? A new judging panel and a man to taxi them to your house? 😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

Pic of the lamp I mentioned.

Plus a pic of my Lumi conversion for good measure:

Luminous
    Free Member

Ah yes, I remember those now.

😀

BlackCatTech
    Free Member

Ah well, another of my ideas down the pan! I’d done some prototypes of 3x XRE plus driver on an MR11-sized board for potential lumicycle halogen conversions. Didn’t get that far as trying to solder LEDs without the proper kit isn’t easy… XPE/Gs would have been better but I’ve given up with them completely, they are just too small for assembly without an oven.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Can I ask is there any difference over a lumicycle xpg unit or buy a basic halogen unit then convert it to xpg unit.

trout
    Free Member

Some good points some bad

one bad point is if something goes belly up on the driver circuits then all is lost till it can be repaired .

with a seperate driver a straight swop fixes it .

good that you dont need to make provision for a driver in your case but as you need a fair bit of cooling then you have plenty of space available for a driver

DaveGr
    Free Member

Can I ask is there any difference over a lumicycle xpg unit or buy a basic halogen unit then convert it to xpg unit.

Conversion will be a lot cheaper. You may even be able to buy a secondhand set of halogens. Both use the same XPG’s – though with optics available you can do flood XPG & spot XPE with conversion. I’ve not seen the Lumi XPG in use but from their write up it suggests it’s a cross between spot & flood. Cooling will be more efficient on Lumi LED though I don’t think that’s an issue if you’re carefull when you stop with a conversion re power level you’re running at. Driver for Lumi will have more options for dimming.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Who do I speak to about homebrew kits

Would they include the canister/ mounting hardware ?

As am ok electronics wise with pre-made boards etc,

would like something in the region of 700-1000 lumens ?

cheers

RustyMac

poisonspider where did you get the heatsink for the lumi can?

i am hoping to do a lumi conversion in the near future and am a little concerned about the heat build up.

Cheers

Rusty

ricardo666
    Free Member

Its a bit quiet here today, so doing a bit of digging/research, and come across hacker heatsinks, but i think this will only be suitable for one luxeon and not the star variety that i fancy making/ running.

http://www.racedaynutrition.com/Features/bikelight.aspx
    http://www.racedaynutrition.com/?p=891

have access to maplins and some model shops so off for a look see what they have.

stumpy01

ricardo666, I think the heatsink is for an r/c car motor. 540 size, I seem to remember.

RustyMac

Found THIS and it looks similar too

Is this what you were meaning stumpy01

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I’m thinking maybe a Quiccpower407 board with a 50mm optic and one of jabilcyclist’s eBay CNC housings, to be powered by the 5700mAh 14.4v LiPO batteries I just got through from Hong Kong… what do you reckon?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Rusty Mac

It’s one of these

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New XPG board and driver for all you home-brewers out there.’ is closed to new replies.