Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • New wheels, to drill or not to drill. Presta vs Schrader
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

scardeypants, are they any good? Any drawbacks? Like there are with the presta.

Northwind

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

Valves on motor vehicles normally stick out sideways, they don’t point at the wheel centre like what they do on a bike.

Not on motorbikes. On cars it’s done mostly for easy access to the valve but even then, lots of cars have innies.

You’re right you know. 😳
    I just checked a couple of trail bike wheels and the valves point at the centre.
    I’ve seen bent valve stems on bikes, but I suppose it’s more to clear the big discs on small wheels than to avoid the tyre deflating.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’re right you know.
    I just checked a couple of trail bike wheels and the valves point at the centre.

To be fair, on motorbikes, it’s about 50/50. Quite a lot of motorbikes have such tight access to the rim that you’ll never get an airline on them if the valve points to the centre. Discs and sprockets tend to get in the way big time. Most of my bikes have/had ninety degree angled metal valves. 🙂
    To check a sports bike or similar with twin front discs

scaredypants

theendisnigh – Member
    scardeypants, are they any good? Any drawbacks? Like there are with the presta

Only issue would be if your rims are narrow or have a deep narrow channel in them. The base of the valve is circular and made of metal so wouldn’t conform too well to a channel.

I have flow rims and (though I didn’t really need to) I filed the valve bases into a bit more of an oval so that the base would sink into the rim’s channel – partially for best sealing but also to stop the whole thing ever rotating or tilting over like the presta ones I had with rubberised bases.

They are rock solid – I used to worry a bit about dislodging the presta ones enough to allow a leak. No such concerns with these

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘New wheels, to drill or not to drill. Presta vs Schrader’ is closed to new replies.