Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Coming Soon…New Trails in Manchester
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Dont know if people are aware (a quick search didnt pull anything up so apologies if its been mentioned already) but work is currently in progress to build 10.5km of trails in Clayton Vale (next to the velodrome) as well as a skills area and pump track in Philips Park (across the road from the velodrome).

Think its fantastic that more of this is going on. I ride through the Vale all the time either having a quick one through the trees after work or on the way to/from bigger rides elsewhere, plus it was also the site for the Midweek Madness races British Cycling held.

Anyway more info if anyones interested…

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/mtb-trails-2

matt1986
    Free Member

Nip into the velodrome there is a map up there with what graded trails are going where. It’s going to be good the velodrome are going to be renting mountain bikes from there as well. It’s also going to be managed so hopefully it will keep the chavs with motos off.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen the maps, they are posted up at several points around the Vale as well. Some of the spots they’ve picked are lines I play on anyway so it should be a good little play area when finished. Was having a run in there earlier and they have begun to lay some section down already and a lot of clearing has been done in others, just seeing it forming is rather exciting as I’m only around the corner so it’ll be great for quick ones etc and perfect (hopefully) for introducing kids to mtb.

Are you local yourself Matt?

buck53

Just seen that they are advertising for a development coach in relation to these new trails, they will be offering coaching as well as just laying out the tracks.

There are a few new pictures in the galleries and they actually look half decent for an urban location. Looks like this could be a really good fun blast for those of us who are Manc based.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Some more new pics on their (Architrail) Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Architrail/109472799129220

Looking good for what and where it is, can’t wait to take the brats!

Duggan

Great news, did my first race at Clayton Vale in the Summer of last year.

Are there now purpose built trails in Philips Park over in Salford or did I dream that up?!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Purpose built trails at Philips Park Prestwich I know that, good fun they are too.

stumpyjon

Cool I dont work far from there.

Edit: even betterer, just looked at it on a map, rideable from work at lunchtime!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Philips Park over in Salford

how very dare you.

Duggan

Ha sorry terrahawk, I’ve just had a look on Google maps and tbf it’s nowhere near Salford really 😆

darrell
    Free Member

yeah but almost though

still better than being classed as in Bury

RDL-82
    Free Member

Work is progressing at a great rate in the Vale and is starting to look very good, think people will be surprised at what they are doing especially for a site that is 15 minutes from the centre of Manchester.

Some pics from a walk with the dog…

Untitled by e1ys1um, on Flickr

One to catch out the wide bar brigade!

Locals seem keen too!

Although to be fair this is old and from when the mx’ers were chewing the place up.

Work has just started in Philips Park too on the kids/skills area…

justatheory
    Free Member

Great news! This is on my commute route.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Looks great. There any dig days or anything?

RDL-82
    Free Member

justatheory – Member

Great news! This is on my commute route.

Snap! Can’t wait for some extended commutes home 🙂

eightyeight – Member

Looks great. There any dig days or anything?

Sadly not. It’s all being being undertaken by Architrail who are also doing the work on the Glasgow Commonwealth XC course.
    http://www.architrail.co.uk/index.html

Greybeard
    Free Member

It would be helpful if one or other Philips Park was called something else!

eightyeight
    Free Member

I propose we call this one Clayton Vale. Any idea when it will be finished?

solarpowered
    Free Member

This is brilliant news!!! How fantastic! Thanks for the info OP. will deffo go for a peek as soon as Im able to 😀

Northwind

It’s nice to see the local germans welcoming The Bikers.

justatheory
    Free Member

Clayton Vale it is! Can’t wait, it’ll make the commute miles better. Hope it’s rideable for summer.

buck53

STWer meet up when it’s finished? It’s 5 minutes if that from me.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Estimate for the Clayton Vale main trails is May.
    Estimate for the ‘Philips Park/Clayton Vale’ part is March.

Cant say whether those dates will slip, but they were given to me from one of the workers I was talking too. They are working on it Monday – Friday so good chance it will be pretty close to being completed on time.

buck53 – Member

STWer meet up when it’s finished? It’s 5 minutes if that from me.
    I’d be up for that.

Scapegoat

So, just to sort out any confusion, there are two Philips parks? One is in Phillips Park, Prestwich and the other isn’t. And they both have MTB trails?

I rode the one in Prestwich near Sedgley Park yesterday and it was great fun. I shall look forward to the other one too.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yep this one is within the ‘Sportcity’ area with the Velodrome etc

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=387272&Y=399126&A=Y&Z=115

The other is as you’ve said in Prestwich.

The Philips Park in question here is not having trails, they are in Clayton Vale which is across the road. Philips park is getting a pump track and skills area.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Bit more info…looking at May bank holiday for opening. Was walking through the other and its coming along nicely.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/climb-every-mountain-manchesters-new-2207443?mobile=false

RDL-82
    Free Member

Skills section in Philips Park opens this Sunday if anyone is interested.

Saw it earlier today and it looks great for the little and big kids alike!

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/a/clayton-day

simmy
    Free Member

I was going to go Gisburn on Sunday, but think I’m going to go here instead.

Anyone else coming ?

RDL-82
    Free Member

I was going to go Gisburn on Sunday, but think I’m going to go here instead.

If you were after a full/big day out Gisburn may be better as this is only the smaller skills area opening, the main trails across the road in Clayton Vale are not due to be finished until mid May, although when they are finished they will be well worth a visit, as they are coming along great with some very nice sections already 😀

Anyone else coming ?

I’ll be taking the kids before they go back to school.

simmy
    Free Member

Was just after quiet day TBH and Gisburn is likely to be rammed and I don’t do crowds 😀

RDL-82
    Free Member

Didnt manage to go on Sunday, plis kids eneded up being at grandparents…piece!

Had a nosey today though and it looks great. All obstacles are in 3’s and you can choose how difficult you want it. Looks like an excellent play area and skill builder for kids and beginners alike.

se7en983
    Free Member

They’re ready to run! 😮 Checkout the link for info / photos on the new clayton vale trails..

claytonvaletrails.org

see you on the trails 😉

hora
    Free Member

Will pop down tomorrow aft

kelvin

This is ace.

1-shed
    Free Member

Any new updates?

simmy
    Free Member

The skills track is really good bit of everything for all levels. The last tabletop is near vertical though 😯 so take the first or second to start with, same with the rock gardens, the last is really aggressive the first 2 not bad.

I have had a look at the trails, but I was put off by the noise of crossers.

se7en983
    Free Member

Don’t be put off Simmy, I’ve been using the trails nearly every day for a few weeks now and not seen or heard a motorbike! maybe it was the trail builders with chainsaws ?? The developers are making a really good effort at keeping crossers off the vale, they’ve even designed most of the trails near impossible to ride on a motorbike!

A word of caution though, don’t just go bombing down them without doing a slow run first coz you might get a bit of a surprise when you turn a sharp corner an realise that your on an unfinished trail and your heading straight for a pile of rubble. this happened to me the other day;)

All the trails on the Newton heath side seem to be finished. The best ones though are on the clayton side of the vale but some off them aren’t finished yet so watch out!

I think I noticed a pattern last time I was there, the finished trails all have large white stones at each side of the start of the trail and the unfinished ones didn’t, maybe this is how you can tell if they’re ready?!

Anybody found a trail map yet??? I’ve got one for the skills track but not the vale. Might have to see if I can blagg the trail builders to to let us get a photo of the plans;)

simmy
    Free Member

It was defo motorbikes as it was the other Sunday when they opened the skills area and the people there said they had always had motorbikes on that area.

The trails do look good so I’m looking forward to heading down there when they are complete.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

trail map at velodrome….in foyer

Junkyard
    Free Member

where exactly is the skills area then?

se7en983
    Free Member

@simmy – the vale has always been a victim to yobs on moto’s for as long as i can remember! lol

@Margin Walker – I’ve just found the original planning application for the trails and the grading of each trail:) will defo pop in the velodrome for a look though, thanks for the heads up.

@Junkyard – here’s a link for the skills section,

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/mtb-trails-2

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Coming Soon…New Trails in Manchester’ is closed to new replies.