Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New (to me) Build Project #16 Genius MC20 2008
  • fotorat
    Free Member

Any Genius experts here, I have am waiting for this to be delivered
    .Scott Genius 2008

So subject to the frame passing my vigourous QC, I am planning on building it up with a mix of X9 derailleurs /XT dual shifters, Pro2/819,

My question is this – does it have a 1.5 headtube? if so I can use my spare lefty 140 on it!

JackHammer

I used to work somewhere that sold a few of these in the past. Be wary of the upper links snapping and the shock needing regular servicing. Headtube looks like 1.125″ just zerostack, but I cant 100% remember from when I used to run spanners over them.

letmetalktomark

Is that a crack above the brake mount …… 😕

fatboyjon

Brake mount certainly looks cracked. If it’s not bust and it’s a keeper, give me a shout if you want a cheap set of rocker plates and spare used rear shock.

fotorat
    Free Member

I agree that the line above the brake mount looks suspicious, but I have never seen and bike fail there, has anyone else? if it cracked at least it wont be as expensive to get fixed or replaced as the carbon frame!

There had to be a reason why it so cheap!

letmetalktomark

It looks to me ( a lay person not an engineer ) an area of potential stress from the suspension design.

If its a crack, send it back.

psycorp
    Free Member

It’s a crack sticker.

fotorat
    Free Member

Hi Psyco, what is a Crack sticker please?

PS it did get posted until Thursday so I am still waiting for it.

I have order some cross ride wheels for it to get it close to original spec.

fotorat
    Free Member

so I got frame and sanded it down to see and yes it defo cracked

cracked seat stay

then whilst looking for some forks for it I stumbled across a donor bike:

Donor bike

so from this wrecker I used the forks, Seat stay, cranks, chain (pc31 which my 0.75 wont even go into) seat post clamp and brakes.

Complete build

Which left me with a 17″ mc 30 frame with a stuck seat post

MC30 Stuck seatpost

Which came out quite easily after a quote for £120 from the stuck seat post man, and 3 hours of carefull filing:

removed with files

So Now I have a viable frame to make a small genius up for my daughter!

I still need a colour matched black/white seat stay for the 20 though…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New (to me) Build Project #16 Genius MC20 2008’ is closed to new replies.