Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 251 total)
  • New thread, as advised by mods
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

I hate it when it’s Huge Bills. That can be an unpleasant surprise.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apostrophe?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Apostrophe?

Purposefully omitted for comedy obfuscation.

jambourgie
    Free Member

There was some kind of siege on the mods over the weekend, with CharlieMungus leading the final push. Drac died of old age while Cougar blew himself up in his bunker.

Drac

I’m feeling better.

wordnumb
    Free Member

And now this thread is full of sh!t jokes.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can I try?

White hetero men
    Fail to see their privilege
    Just a joke,innit?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thing is – as Charlie Mingus himself points out – Anal sex is not an exclusively gay act – in fact with only about 5% of men being actively primarily gay, and quite a lot of them not engaging in anal sex, and with it being increasingly common amongst the perhaps 95% of people who primarily identify as straight, most of the anal sex is been done by straights…

I think this means the original microsnide is out-dated and irrelevant anyway.

I doubt that this will end the argument though… 🙄

jambourgie
    Free Member

Oh christ. I thought it was a new dawn.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think this means the original microsnide is out-dated and irrelevant anyway

As I said in the same post, the ‘microsnide’ is never applied to straights, it is a term of abuse for gay men.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

well – maybe it shouldn’t be, language can change. Gay poeple have reappopriated “queer”, “Special” is now an insult, and I don’t look forward to Snowflakes any more…

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Can I try?

Too many syllables in line 2…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

well – maybe it shouldn’t be, language can change. Special is now an insult, and I don’t look forward to Snowflakes any more…

You may be right

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh christ. I thought it was a new dawn.

*starts new thread about the failure of the mods to reprimand the blaspheming infidel who is taking the name of my Lord in vain*

Check your privilege, unbeliever.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Too many syllables in line 2…

Really? Where are you seeing them?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

CM, I agree with you. “Poo pusher” is an unpleasant playground insult for gay men, and I think it has no place on here. Mods, I think you made the wrong call by letting it go.

I’m a teacher. Playground homophobia is thankfully dying. The kids in my fairly rough-arsed West Yorkshire school rarely use “gay” epithets as terms of abuse. There are even gay students and teachers who are “out”.

I think the attitudes that see “poo pusher” as acceptable public discourse only exist now among the middle-aged. Once we’re gone, perhaps gay people can enter a public conversation, in person or online, without running the risk of hearing strangers making crude jokes about their [assumed] sex lives. When that day comes, perhaps the rates of depression and suicide among gay people will decrease.

Unfortunately, CM, most people are very conservative by nature and will instinctively wish to preserve the status quo. So when you take a stand, some will try to accuse you of hypocrisy, or of being “PC”, or of being unable to take a “joke”. Others will try to muddy the waters by altering reality, suggesting that what was said was never said, or that x actually means y. But most will diminish your point by simply jeering from the sidelines.

We had this on a transgender thread a few months back. A simple news story about not referring to TG people by their birth gender attracted exactly the same pattern of responses you’ve been getting here.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wow! Thanks! For words of support and putting you head above the parapet

Jamie
    Free Member

I wish I had just pissed through Cougar’s letterbox now 🙁

Wow! Thanks! For words of support and putting you head above the parapet

I did say you had a point, it’s just the belaboured way you’re going about it.

Drac

Of course he has a point but it was not meant in the way Jamie or Scotroutes mentioned, there was no malicious just a choice of words that CM seen as an insult. Best keep to pissing in shoes.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Where are you seeing them?

Well, I guess it comes down to how you pronounce the word ‘fail’.
    I could be in a minority group here because of my accent, but it comes out in two syllables…

Kryton57

Yup, 2 syllables if you is Welsh.

Yep, I realise that makes me racist in the context of this thread STW.

duckman

hebdencyclist – Member

Except…Was the use of it not about pushing a poo through a letterbox and then lighting it?

Oh…and I have no useful contribution to make!

Ha! Mod stealth edit..

Kryton57

Oh…and I have no useful contribution to make!

In this thread, you are amongst friends…

duckman

Mods are faster than a speeding bullet today K57!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Of course he has a point but it was not meant in the way Jamie or Scotroutes mentioned, there was no malicious

So if I call you a ****, but with no malicious intent, you will allow it?

just a choice of words that CM seen as an insult.

No,it’s a choice of words.which form an unacceptable and insulting term

Best keep to pissing in shoes.

Good idea

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I could be in a minority group here because of my accent, but it comes out in two syllables…

I think Shakespeare has set a precedent here 😀

LADY MACBETH
    […]And dash’d the brains out, had I so sworn as you
    Have done to this.
    MACBETH
    If we should fail?
    LADY MACBETH
    We fail!

This scene is written in iambic pentameter. That is, there are ten syllables to each line. In this scene, to increase the tension, Shakespeare has Macbeth and Lady Macbeth say a bit of a pentametric line each. In short, the speech in bold (my bold) should add up to ten syllables. If “fail” is pronounced as a single syllable each time, there are ten syllables in total and the metre of the play is preserved. If “fail” is pronounced as two syllables, the metre is disrupted and the speech becomes prose.

Conclusion: By assuming “fail” to be a single-syllable word, whoever wrote that haiku is merely following in the footsteps of The Bard of Stratford 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Except…Was the use of it not about pushing a poo through a letterbox and then lighting it?

This would be one of the weasel excuses which HC mentions in his post

jambourgie
    Free Member

Except…

Yes, but don’t let facts get in the way of a good crusade.

The fact that the word ‘poo’ was mentioned, and the fact that gaymen do poo’s too means we’re all a bunch of over-privileged white homophobic power-racists.

Or something.

Kryton57

duckman – Member
    Mods are faster than a speeding bullet today K57!

My posts are as I wrote them, give me some credit FFS… 😉

Edit: Oh yours? I didn’t see the original!

Kryton57

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg66j0fUbUk[/video]

Edit: probably NSFW / the OP

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, but don’t let facts get in the way of a good crusade.

You see the irony of that post, don’t you?

duckman

I can’t be bothered searching the whole of STW for the original post, but I recall it mentioned last night as pushing a poo through the letterbox. Which means you are talking err….poo.

Still; “This would be one of the weasel excuses which HC mentions in his post “

So what you are saying is that suggesting you push a poo through a letterbox and light it is a slur on gay men? Superb! Crack on Charlie.

One last Q; how else do you get a poo through a letterbox?

Kryton57

Duckman just let it slide…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So what you are saying is that suggesting you push a poo through a letterbox and light it is a slur on gay men?

No, no, that’s so far from the point. That really takes some doing.

I can’t be bothered searching the whole of STW for the original post, but I recall it mentioned last night as pushing a poo through the letterbox. Which means you are talking err….poo.

So, whilst you don’t really know what you are talking about, you still want your opinion to be heard?

And… No before you ask. I am not new here

tjagain

Charlie – you really are making a fool of yourself here and you have got this 100% wrong.

I am usually the first to shout if I see prejudicial posts, pejorative language and sexist / racist / homophobic slurs to the extent I have been shouted down on here for doing so.
    The post you mentioned simply wasn’t as you missed the context. Taken in isolation scotroutes post looks homophobic but when you see it in the context of Jamies post a few posts earlier its clear it is not.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Tjagain, I appreciate your are trying to be constructive, however, to imagine that Scotroutes used the term “Pushing poo again?” in all innocence and only in reference to posting poo through a letter box is either naive or shows an insensitivity to certain terms of abuse. It was deliberately ambiguous and a cheap way of sneaking in an unacceptable term of abuse for giggles.

I’m sure scotroutes himself would admit that was his intention, if he were honest.

tjagain

Wrong wrong wrong. Sorry dude – let it go. You are 100% wrong on this. I know scotroutes – he is not homophobic nor does he make homophobic slurs.

I have often been called ” professionally offended” and accused of looking for offence. Something I have never done and had never seen before. You here are looking for offence somewhere where it doesn’t exist.

duckman

Actually, I saw the original post last night quoted, so I do know what I am talking about. Unlike you for 5 pages now. How is the crusade going?
    Having seen it and checked again on the closed Mods thread..I still think you are an idiot determined to see a homophobic slur where none exists. Unless you are claiming the post on the now closed Mods thread was not a direct quote?
    As for opinions…you started a whole thread to again advance an incorrect reading of a remark made and you have the cheek to (try to) belittle anybody who doesn’t agree with you. “Do you see the irony?”

Cougar

I’m not getting drawn into this again, but I just wanted to reply to Hebdencyclist.

CM, I agree with you. “Poo pusher” is an unpleasant playground insult for gay men, and I think it has no place on here. Mods, I think you made the wrong call by letting it go.

You might not be aware of the original context. As I explained in the previous thread, the comment was in reply to this one:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/donalderm-trump/page/3#post-8297882

Jamie – Member

Other moderators are more quiet about it, seeking to minimise any hassle from other posters.

What hassle?

*pushes dog poo through Druidh’s letterbox*[/quote]

Scotroutes’ reply is a couple of posts further down.

That’s why we – well, why I at least – didn’t remove it. As a comment in isolation I’d wholeheartedly agree with CM, but reading it in context it’s innocuous IMHO and CM is just looking for an argument.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I am not calling Scotroutes homophobic, merely highlighting that he used homophobic terminology and that I asked for this to be removed. He no doubt saw it as a joke, but that does not make it OK.

Neither am I offended, merely highlighting unacceptable terminology. I am not upset, but that does not mean it is OK.

If you know him, why not ask him what he meant?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘New thread, as advised by mods’ is closed to new replies.