Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New site, a bit like gumtree just for bikes
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Just been sent this by a fb chum, looks like a good idea:
    http://www.sellmybikestuff.com/
    I regularly use retrobike, stw and pinkbike to sell bike gear but have avoided ebay for a while now as it’s fraught with bad buyers who want too much and treat me as if I’m a major retailer. I miss the simple days.

I’ve registered with my stw user name.

atlaz
    Free Member

So you mean a place to sell stolen bikes… just for bikes.

wwaswas

“I’ve got a site that’s going to try and steal revenue from stw by moving page views elsewhere. Now, where could I advertise it for free?”

I like your thinking…

ratherbeintobago

Yes, that was my first thought too.

Dave
    Free Member

I like how it advertises the address of the seller for all to see. O_0

wwaswas

I like how it advertises the address of the seller for all to see.

😯

I didn’t drill down that far. That’s nuts.

So not for selling stolen bikes, then but for locating the next one to nick…

onandon
    Free Member

Adding the sellers address details ( with a map ) Is just stupid.
    They need to sort that out.

I’m ooooot

Drac

I like how it’a been registered a year yet there’s a handful of posts on it and Devron53’s “Friend” has sent him a link. 😐

Deveron53
    Free Member

I sell most of my stuff via retrobike. That forum has a less cynical vibe to it…
    If stw come up with a better selling system then I’d use it a bit more. I’m not sure who actually owns this new selling site but the link was sent to me by a trusted friend on fb.
    Tbh I haven’t actually looked at the site in detail so I will examine all the concerns raised above. I have a huge pile of unwanted cycling bits and this link came out of the blue as I was filling the huge box in my workshop so I thought I’d tell folk about it. The cycling community does need a decent gumtree-alike site that isn’t ebay.

wwaswas

perhaps we’ve been a bit cynical about your motivation after last nights post and a pie debate.

The classifieds on here are a lot better than they have been – there;’s very few arguments about pricing since the new rules.

I can’t see what people are looking for other than what stw offers, tbh, it gets huge traffic so it’s not like people won’t see an ad. I guess the onyl thing it really needs on the classifieds side is a decent search engine and a way of adding granularity to the listings

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I’m not sure who actually owns this new selling site

http://whois.domaintools.com/sellmybikestuff.com

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not great for buyers. There’s 4 things for sale on there.

woody74

Why are people so critical on Singletrack, So what is Devonon53 is linked or not to the site, should we not just be interested in a new cycling resource. the problem with all of these new sites as this and the other ones announced on Singletrack over the last year or so, is that they just don’t have much content on them. They need to get a critical mass or brilliant bargains before anyone is going to use them. As per always marketing is the key.

gonzy
    Free Member

at least we know where else to look

poly
    Free Member

I’m not sure who actually owns this new selling site

always reassuring

have avoided ebay for a while now as it’s fraught with bad buyers who want too much and treat me as if I’m a major retailer.

why would any other site not end up the same way?

The cycling community does need a decent gumtree-alike site that isn’t ebay.

whats wrong with gumtree (I personally am not a big fan because I can’t do geographical searches “e.g. within 60 miles of AB1 2CD”[/quote]
    The reality is people don’t like ebay because they charge fees. Those fees get you huge reach and a degree of buyer protection that brings trust, which all increase the number of willing buyers and therefore potential price.

andytherocketeer

Don’t see anything wrong with the FS/Wanted tabs here. Indeed, if I flog anything, I’d rather use that than gumtree, ebay, etc. purely because of the potential free support from other forum users in seeking out the occasional dodgy seller/buyer when a sale/purchase goes wrong.

Most of my stuff will prolly end up on freecycle or scrap metal merchants unless i find a local cycle recycle type place.

officialtob
    Free Member

On the plus side, I do quite like the design of the site..

Tighten up the security aspects, and I personally think it has potential.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New site, a bit like gumtree just for bikes’ is closed to new replies.