Home Forums Chat Forum New Shed roof time – what to use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Shed roof time – what to use?
  • BlobOnAStick

So the weather has highlighted that it’s time to renew my shed/garden office roof. It’s had standard shed felt on it for the past 14 years, but it’s got a bit thin now.

I’d like to use something that looks a little more pleasing than EPDM sheet or normal felt (plus as the roof is made of ‘floorboard’ type wood, I’m not sure EPDM would last on something like that). I like the shingle type roofing but it has a minimum pitch angle of 15 degrees. My shed is a very shallow 9 degree pitch. I assume the minimum pitch comes about due to resisting capillary action between the tiles (does anyone know if this is correct?)

If I place a bead of roofing sealant between each layer of tiles as I lay them, ensuring that there are no gaps, would that mean that things would be ok do you think? Or could there be issues with standing water at such a shallow pitch?

Anyone got any recommendations or thoughts?

kormoran
    Free Member

I had this dilemma on a small but important shed that was a mini workshop with power. Id been down the refelting route twice and was approaching no3.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought colored corrugated steel in a smaller profile to suit the shed dimensions. It wasn’t cheap but I calculated better value in the long term and very easy to fit. I put a membrane underneath above the sarking, which is probably what you are calling floorboards.

The colour meant it was to order but it came quick enough – think it was colourworld cladding, or similar.

When it rains the water just fires off into the gutter and gone, very satisfying. The pitch is shallow so any ruckle in the felt or moss growth would hold water, eventually soaking through as the felt aged

BlobOnAStick

Thanks Kormoran, will take a look around for that.

blastit
    Free Member

Wiggly Tin

Galvanised

Looks fab

blokeuptheroad

Onduline corrugated bitumen sheeting.

qwerty
    Free Member

We used Onduline corrugated bitumen sheets on our chicken coop and run.

Make sure you follow the manufacturers guidance on supporting spans.

It’s very easy to work with.

Ours has lasted 12 years and now needs replacing.

I’d use it again.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

EDPM to stop the weather and then something pretty stuck on top to please your eye?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Roofing megastore, galv or painted corrugated sheets.

Kamakazie

Standing seam roofing? Suitable for low pitch angles and you can get coated steel or alu versions which are significantly more affordable than zinc.

If budget conscious then it’d be hard to beat the options above.

stumpy01

I replaced our shed roof a few years back with Onduline Coroline roof sheeting. My shed had very little holding the roof up, as the previous owner of the house had swapped it for a corrugated polycarb roof, because he used it as a potting shed.

I had to put some new roof structure in (no idea what the terminology is) and it was very straight forward to install with rubber capped screws. You can get different colours and it’s easy to cut & work with. I think I just used a hand saw with a fine-ish tooth. Bitumen did build up on the teeth, but I just gave the saw a clean with some GT85 every so often.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.