• This topic has 41 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New (road) bike..
  • DezB
    Free Member

Not as exciting as Toons’ Turner, but I was quite excited as this is my first ever brand new bike. Only ever had hand-me-downs, 2nd hand and ex-demos before.

This was a right bargain from CRC. The ad said it was a 50/34 chainset, which I thought might be a bit low geared, turns up and its the 53/39, so chuffed with that. Stem was a 120mm carbon FSA, bit too long, happened to have a 90mm Thomson lying around. Seems ok as a replacement? Rides like a bloomin magic carpet!

1981miked
    Free Member

very nice!

Got me wanting another road bike now….must resist..just bought a van…must resist…just bought a van..

Happy pedalling.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Mike. Less than half price… you can justify it!

STATO
    Free Member

Stem was a 120mm carbon FSA, bit too long, happened to have a 90mm Thomson lying around. Seems ok as a replacement?

This isnt some mtb huck fest! get that 120mm back on, or send the bike back for a smaller size.

uplink
    Free Member

Stem was a 120mm carbon FSA, bit too long, happened to have a 90mm Thomson lying around. Seems ok as a replacement?

You also seem to have put the new stem on upside down

Just a thought 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

NICE 🙂

sc-xc

That looks ace. I am a recent convert to road riding, I love it. Prefer it to mountain biking at the moment…

enjoy it!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Nice, pop the 120mm back on you’ll get used to the aero position in time.

theboatman
    Free Member

Bargain, loving that blue. You could sort the stem ‘issue’ with an inline seatpost and popping that 120mm back on the right way round.

RealMan
    Free Member

I also have a 90mm stem on my road bike. 100mm on the mtb. Both feel right.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, thought I might get comments about the stem! 🙂
    The Thomson is a zero rise, so unfortunately looks a bit upright.
    This was the only size they had and the geometry is so similar to my existing bike, I couldn’t resist…
    I’ll try the Thomson for a week or so, maybe swap back or get something 100mm with a bit of neg rize later.
    Anyway, I thought shorter stems were the “done thing” on road bikes these days? For better handling? no?

RealMan
    Free Member

Anyway, I thought shorter stems were the “done thing” on road mountain bikes these days? For better handling?

There you go.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No, no benefit to having a shorter stem on a road bike.

I went through exactly the same quandary when I started road riding after riding MTBs for 5 years.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, yeah I’d rather have a neg rise stem, so probably will change it. Those Shimano hoods seem rather upwardly protruding after having Campag for the last 8 years!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

…….put the 120 back on. it’ll handle better at speed and that stems too short for a bike that big.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice.
    Next you need one with guards for when the weather gets a bit ‘Belgian’ like today.

Simon-E

Next you need one with guards for when the weather gets a bit ‘Belgian’ like today.

Crud Roadracers would sort that issue… though don’t let that idea stop you buying another bike 😉

Nice colour BTW.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Your stem is too short.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

and please don’t put an inline post on instead that’s just as bad. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Your stem is to short. 😆

Crud Race guards are being purchased to replace the ones which broke during the killing of my last bike. (or maybe just the replacement bits)

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Mountain bike pedals? You’re missing the ideal excuse to buy some new shoes. 😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice bike for the money that. I have a 90mm stem on my road bike, it did have a 120mm but it felt too long. I wont post a pic, cos you’ve been slated and mine is even worse – it has a load of stem stackers underneath it and it has positive rise!

90mm is better for the sort of riding I do though, makes the steering a bit more responsive for when Im weaving through pedestrians at zebra crossings.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

OK after being an arsehole about it I do really like the colour. Congrats, new bikes are great.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Anyway, I thought shorter stems were the “done thing” on road bikes these days? For better handling? no?

no quite the opposite. long stem gives better weight distribution. 99% of pro’s will ride 120-140 stems. if you are using a 90mm stem you either have freakish body proportions or are riding the wrong size frame.

you don’t need a short stem to ride in traffic, as road bikes are fast enough steering as it is.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have freakish body proportions. My seapost is all the way up but the TT is obviously too long. If im bored this week I will do an experiment.

I will ride my local 10 mile TT course with my short stem on as it is at the moment, and my longer stem on (slammed and flipped over) and see if it makes a difference.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s me told then eh? 🙂 As I said, I’ll try it first and see what suits me (whilst wearing my Camelbak 🙂 )

AntLockyer
    Free Member

davidtaylforth I used to think I was freakish with long legs and short arms. Over the last few years the reach on my bikes has got longer and longer and it’s so much better for handling, aerodynamics and comfort.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, I may have no idea on how to set up my bike. I always went with the rule that your front hub should be obscured by the bars when looking down.

With the 120mm stem it was clearly visible below the bars and it felt pretty stretched. I’ll maybe stick it back on and see if I can get used to it, if I can then I may go for a longer stem. Think my house mate has a 110mm I can try

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

cant see any road bike needing a stem less than 110 unless you are riding a tiny (Emma Pooley) frame. The frames are not designed to be run with short stems as the bars are too far back in relation to the hub/axle ……… try a 105/110 and you’ll get used to it. Nice bike though.(boonen rides a 140/145,thats a belgian thing but you get the idea, and he isnt 6ft5)

DezB
    Free Member

Stem aside though, £1100 for a bike with Ksyriums, DuraAce, carbon bits and weighs 15-16lbs eh? eh? I is blimmin pleased wiv it.
    And it’s a Rocky Mountain like 2 of my MTBs have been, not some Italian rubbish 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was quite excited as this is my first ever brand new bike. Only ever had hand-me-downs, 2nd hand and ex-demos before.

(Sobs) 😥

It’s fantastic! 🙂

It’s rubbish. 🙁

Did your wife look at you funny when she seen it?

DezB
    Free Member

No, she was most encouraging. (well, feigned a bit of interest).
    Does no-one want to compliment her on her lovely cushions?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does no-one want to compliment her on her lovely cushions?

Erm… 😳

I do like the cushions; are they sort of velvety?

I like the rug too; nice warm colours.

I’m not happy about that sofa though.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

davidtaylforth that obscures hub thing might work if your back is in the right sort of shape, ie in a straight line from the hip to the neck. Get long, get low and get used to it.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah luckily it’s only in the dining room. Wouldn’t have cushions in the front room I tell ya.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get long, get low and get used to it.

I’ll do it. Tomorrow night

DezB
    Free Member

You do that Dave. I’m not putting the 120mm back on yet though. Just cos people told me to.

oldgit
    Free Member

It might feel a bit odd when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting out of the saddle as your body will feel like its way over the bars. A longer stem keeps the bars forward at those times, you’ll see.

Simon-E

if you are using a 90mm stem you either have freakish body proportions or are riding the wrong size frame.

Or you bought a bike supplied with a 90mm stem.

What stem length pro riders use is entirely up to them. It doesn’t make it right for me, you or anyone else. Frame geometry varies, so there’s no ‘one stem size fits all’ recipe, and what feels right on the brake hoods might not work so well when on the drops.

I’d suggest you fit the stem whichever way around suits you, there’s no need to flip it to a -veº angle because a bunch of forum pixels said so.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its stunning dude almost like the on-one blue!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New (road) bike..’ is closed to new replies.