Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Rim needed advice very much welcomed
  • parling
    Free Member

As the title suggest I need a new rim as I have just Pringled another front wheel. too sloppy riding on my 456 tank, Ive killed a cheap mavic and now a dt swiss something or other.

Im going to les arcs this year on my on one summer season so need a strong rim possibly made of granite.

The bike weighs a ton and has a halo sas on rear so weight is of little worry I get to the top of the hills eventually.

What do people think anybody tried the superstar downhill rim Im building it onto my hope pro 32 spoke,

cheers all.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

What rim did you just bust? are you a heavy rider?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of dings in a rear one, but not managed to taco one yet – not through lack of trying :mrgreen:

Don’t like to think how badly things would have to go to fold one of these on the front!

I have them on an 06 Enduro with Domains, coil shock & DH High Rollers, it weighs a friggin ton and is a plodder on the climbs, but I think it’s worth the effort for reliable descending.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

*EDIT* beat me to it Rob

also what spokes…just trying to get a feel for what you’ve destroyed.
    WTB has the new i23 Frequency rim, may be stout, tho not sure how they’d do with you if you’ve destroyed a mavic and DT…tho you could get a higher quality Mavic…something like an ex 729

parling
    Free Member

it was a DT swiss of a spesh enduro 2010,

yeh Im quite a heavy rider in fairness I was going too fast for my own ability but was fun till i had to walk back to the car park.

Cheers Rob ill have a look at thoses im in same opinion now non of this light weigh stuff, struggle to get up the hill as long as at bottom bikes in one piece.

parling
    Free Member

bike rider no idea what spoke were but they were fine just the rim which folded like butter

bikeryder85
    Free Member

to be fair, spokes do help with the overall strength of the wheel…if you are having them built to a hope (great hubs btw) and don’t care about weight you could go with a straight gauge spoke/brass nipple combo for a super stout wheel. something like a dt 2.0 (champion i think?) should work just fine for you.

Hope this helps!

mboy
    Free Member

Plain gauge spokes don’t increase the strength of the wheel. They’re just cheaper.

Spokes fail at either the hub end or the nipple end, so removing some material in the middle for lighter weight and getting butted spokes doesn’t decrease their strength (unless you go too extreme like Revolutions which are very thin), but it also increases their fatigue resistance.

Rim wise, you’ll not kill a Mavic 729. But then again unless you run 2.5″ or larger tyres all the time it’s probably complete overkill. The EX721 is a few mm narrower, about as strong, and fine with “normal” tyres as well as DH ones.

Not heard anything about the Superstar DH rim, but like anything from them, I’d be very wary…

parling
    Free Member

Cheers Ill look at the Mavic EX721, Ive a 150mm of travel on front so hopefully a tough rim and that should enable me to keep picking the wrong lines on the downhill. for les arcs im gonona be putting 2.5 dual ply minions on front so hope thoses lifts are good.

trusty

Might be worth checking some back issues of Dirt, Billy T took a hardtail (dialled alpine?) to the Mega a couple of years back so I’d imagine whatever he ran were pretty indestructable…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rim wise, you’ll not kill a Mavic 729. But then again unless you run 2.5″ or larger tyres all the time it’s probably complete overkill. The EX721 is a few mm narrower, about as strong, and fine with “normal” tyres as well as DH ones.

Agree. I tend err on the side of overkill 🙂

IME DT rims are made of Swiss cheese. I was told they’re meant to ding really easily, rather than break, so you can still get to the bottom of the mountain. Bullshit detector went up to 11 :mrgreen:

parling
    Free Member

Rob i can confirm they bend like swiss cheese I was not happy, no getting to bottom of hill as it bent so much the seam split.

Overkill is better than underkill especially with by front wheel first landing technique coupled with Im sure I can ride that attitude

RobHilton
    Free Member

^ That’s my kinda attitude! And partly the reason I can’t raise my left arm at the mo :mrgreen:

mboy
    Free Member

IME DT rims are made of Swiss cheese. I was told they’re meant to ding really easily, rather than break, so you can still get to the bottom of the mountain. Bullshit detector went up to 11

I bought some wheels with DT EX5.1 rims a few years ago… Swiss cheesse doesn’t begin to describe them! Which is a massive shame as DT Swiss hubs are probably the nicest hubs on the market, but their rims are an abomination…

After a couple of rides, I cut my losses (already having dinged them quite heavily) and bought some Mavic 521 rims and rebuilt the wheelset with the Mavics. Never had a problem with the Mavics of course!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Rim needed advice very much welcomed’ is closed to new replies.