Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New phone time me thinks…
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thinking of a Windows phone this time since my Android phones all seem dead slow. Any advice or opinions on them please folks?

Lumina 820, Samsung ActvS, HTC windows 8 phone, all on O2.

Used for emails, texts, as a phone, twitter. Not much of a game player on phones but do listen to music via Bluetooth.

Drac

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hate the control Apple want over my music and the fact that they break too easily (IME)

Nice looking apple BTW

Drac

What control?

Houns

I’m an HTC android user. I’ve just been setting up my mums HTC Windows phone, didn’t like it one bit

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had a windows phone last year, I was excited when I lost it. Someone found it out on the trails for me. I was gutted!

legend
    Free Member

Annoyingly Drac is right 🙁

I went shopping pretty certain that I’d be leaving with either a new Nokia or HTC 8X, ended up with an iPhone 5. Nokia 920 is a brick, 820 has ropey battery life but I found Windows 8 a bit crappy. Looks very nice to show off to people, but just a little slow to use. Reckoned it’d be irritating to live with for 2 years

Drac

If you don’t want Apple then go down Android route, they really are the best options.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What control?

Had an apple iPhone 3? And still have an IPod, just seemed to always ask me to “wait whilst we authorise your iTunes library” when I connected the iPod to iTunes.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Then why do all my Android phones seem “laggy”.

Have to say, then iPhone OS was sorted.

Drac

They don’t control your music, that’s just it building the library.

Have you tried the newer Androids, the wife’s old one was shocking so switched her to Apple but the newer Androids and OS are far better these days.

Flaperon

I have an HTC 8X and love it. My brother has the Nokia 920; my dad the HTC 8S.

Windows Phone 8 is a cracking bit of kit, and to be honest there’s no real shortage of apps unless you love to have millions of the things installed. Facebook / Twitter integration is built right in, Outlook.com is better than Gmail (and that’s as a 10 year long Gmail user), and the interface is so intuitive anyone can figure it out.

The Nokia gets more exclusive stuff, has a better camera, but is heavier. I reckon the best is actually the 8S, which doesn’t have the high res screen but is beautifully made and seems to be the perfect size. And it has MicroSD expansion.

Stuff that’s not so good? No notification centre (although it’s rumoured to be coming this year), media and ring volumes aren’t separate, and the back button behaves weirdly in the browser. People have whinged about battery life, but I charge mine every other day and have no issues. The iPhone 5 will need charging every night.

Android (even 4.2) feels unfinished in comparison.

My Windows Phone homescreen:

dingabell
    Free Member

I got the Nokia lumia 800 for £120 at Christmas and I love it. So much better than my Samsung galaxy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Galaxy S3 love it great phone. Just works really….

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hmmm, HTC 8x….. Nice

takisawa2

Just had this HTC OneX+.
    Laggy it most certainly isn’t, trust me.

I’ve nowt against the iPhone, just the stupid price premium.

Check out the deals on moneysupermarket. Often cheaper overall than stumping up for a sim only phone, & buying a cheap contract SIM.

unovolo
    Free Member

Had a Nokia Lumia 800 for over a year and will not be changing it any time soon.
    Have had Android phones ,used others iphones ,and for my usage its just perfect.
    I much prefer how the OS works on a phone compared to IOS and Android.

I think most people who dont like the OS are just so used to the IOS/Android way of doing things that they cannot see that some aspects are better or more user friendly.
    I have heard comments that it seems basic in comparison,thats because its been created for ease of use,using a phone should not be complicated or hard to understand.

Even my 72 year old dad can use it with minimal explanation.

If and when this ones dies I will be getting another Windows phone.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

+ 1 for S3

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Got an HTC windows phone x8 on O2. £26 a month, unlimited calls and texts.

CountZero

Hate the control Apple want over my music

Had an apple iPhone 3? And still have an IPod, just seemed to always ask me to “wait whilst we authorise your iTunes library” when I connected the iPod to iTunes.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that message, using three different iPhones and three different iPods. I just plug my devices in and they pop up in the sidebar. It’s not a message I recall ever seeing in the five or six years I’ve been using iTunes, and I currently have 144Gb of music which is mixed ripped and downloaded.
    Apple have no control over your music, there is no DRM, you’re free to use it on any device that will play AAC files, which is a lot, or if MP3, pretty much anything. I drag songs onto a 32Gb flash drive and play them on my Kenwood DAB car stereo, with no problems.

joeyj
    Free Member

I would stick with Android, the Sony Experia Z comes out at the end of Feb and looks rather nice and is waterproof and dust proof which is an added bonus

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The HTC 8X has just been returned to O2 and exchanged for an IPhone 4S.

8x wouldn’t work with my car hands free kit but thankfully the shop said it would, hence the exchange. There is loads offsets on the Microsoft website regarding Bluetooth incompatibility issues with car hands free kits.

iPhone works with the car, happy bunny here.

Should have just taken Drac’s advice in the first place.

Still hate ITunes though.

lovetoride
    Free Member

The new HTC One looks nice.

joolsburger
    Free Member

S3 is te best phone out there right now IMHO. Works well, nice big screen and cheap.

fazanders
    Free Member

+1 for the android vote. As above, HTC One, Sony Experia Z out there and next week the Galaxy S4 is announced. All of which should have zero lag in them!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New phone time me thinks…’ is closed to new replies.