Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Motorbike problems
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Basically got a slight problem with my motorbike. Hyosung GT250R. I’m pretty much certain it’s the side stand switch.
    Starts fine on the button. Stand up click into first it dies, back into neutral starts on the button pull clutch in stand up click into first again it dies.
    Slam the stand up with aggression it will eventually let you put it in gear and set off.

Now I didn’t have time to mess about with it today but I’ve coated it in lube and cleaned round the stand and it is a little better but still not right.
    Now the bike is 4 months old, it had its first (600 mile) service atthe dealers and the second (2500) service at a local mechanic as it was only a oil and filter change.

Now will I be able to just turn up at the dealers and say sort it or will I have voided my warranty by using a local mechanic?

Hoping to get it done as I’m off on holiday on Wednesday.

bensales
    Free Member

Side stand switch. It’ll be gunked up. Don’t lube it, clean it with WD40 or similar solvent.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Probably faster and easier to DIY (Not that you should have to, so next time buy a Japanese, British or even Italian bike….) Generally the side stand switch will come off very easily and can be gently opened up, the contacts cleaned and lightly greased, then refitted. I’ve done this sort of thing on starter and indicator switches, and rear brake light switches too on my bikes in the past. It’s generally easier than taking it in to be done IME.

Northwind

Nice wee bike that… Servicing shouldn’t be an issue tbh, your troubleshooting sounds spot on so I bet 10 pence it’s either the switch assembly itself or some misalignment stopping it from engaging. So not affected by servicing. And should be a cheap fix too, unless it’s a loom fault.

If it was me, I’d bridge out the switch (assuming it’s a normally-open, which it probably is) and see if that fixes it, to confirm. Then work from there- check the stand’s actuating the switch well, to see if it’s the switch or how the bike’s working with it. But tbh this is just because I’d want to walk into the shop and say “here’s exactly what’s wrong”. You don’t really need to, it’s just information is power.And you’re about 10 minutes from confirming your diagnosis, or disproving it, anyway.

I wouldn’t permanently bypass it though!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Remove the switch.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had three Jap bikes and this is my second Hyosung. All bikes have had this problem. Love to be able to sort it myself but I don’t have the knowledge or patience to be taking it apart.
    I have been washing the bike weekly up until September and that was full wash and cleaning the stand and keeping that area clean. This month work has took over and it’s been neglected. White bike is a shade of charcoal and dust with added road shite.
    Only started having the problem this week.

Cougar

I’d hazard that regardless of servicing they’re unlikely to ask to see your service history stamps before looking at a kickstand fault (and I concur with your diagnosis, for what the opinion of a lapsed biker on the Internet is worth).

craigxxl
    Free Member

Side stand sensor. Make sure the stand is retracting fully if not clean up spring and pivot until it does. The sensors are normally magnetic so require closeness to work between the stand and the sensor. See if you can adjust it and clean any grease off both parts.

Northwind

I think on the hyosang it’s a mechanical switch. (possibly it’s a reed switch internally but it was mechanically actuated like a contact switch) Was on their 650s anyway. Pretty much everything was copied from 90s suzuks.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Same problem on an Aprillia RST Futura – just shorted out the switch. 3 wires to the switch? you might have that option.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It sounds like a dodgy sidestand switch,I’d bypass it.

konabunny
    Free Member

You don’t have to service at the dealer to maintain warranty.

Unless service includes clean/adjust side stand switch and that hasn’t been done, it’s an elephant anyway.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well it’s still no better. And I’m not willing to spend my day pissing about taking the switch apart on a 4 month old bike.
    So do I ring them up and say come and collect it and sort it or get my breakdown to drop the bike off there?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Surely it’s only a 10/15 minute job to bypass the switch? That’s got to be the option that gives you the least grief.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I live on a hill and don’t have a centre or paddock stand or any access to tools.
    Local mechanic is not in this weekend. So it will probably have be breakdown to take me to dealer or hope I can get it in gear to ride it to dealer. And hope to god I don’t stall.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Motorbikes are not covered under the European Block exemption re dealer servicing and warranty so unfortunately you do have to keep up the dealer servicing if you want to keep your warranty.

allthegear
    Free Member

Have you tried going neutral straight to second? Chances are the cutout won’t activate – it’s so the bike is still rideable with a broken switch.

Rachel

kilo

On my bike the usual cure is to spray the bit / piston / prong that sticks out of the switch and the side stand compresses liberaly with wd40, then sit on the bike raise the side stand o release the pressure on this bit and push the aforementioned bit in and out with my boot to clean out the switch with the wd40, always worked for me. (kawasaki owner)

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Surprisingly it does sometimes work going into second. Got two options take it to the dealer or a local mechanic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Motorbike problems’ is closed to new replies.