Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Hope Brakes Needed But Which Ones?
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Needing some new brakes as my old Formulas are toast and not up to the job now.
    Bike is a SC Nomad with a burly build so weight isn’t really a consideration, I’m 90kgs kitted up.

What to go for, M4’s or V2’s??

matthew_h
    Free Member

New Shimano XTs. Much better than any of the Hopes.

angryratio
    Free Member

About four weeks ago i would have strictly said stick with shimano.

I’ve got a set of Tech X2’s and i’ve just done a week of red/black stuff in scotland. The tech lever is the bit i’m most impressed with, they just feel so nice in use.

If your being sensible and are not too fussed about the ‘bling’ thing then go with shimano.

ruscle
    Free Member

Say NO to shimano! its like its the only make about. Go with the Hope’s, their british the tech lever is fantastic. Get the M4 for the power and the servicing of Hope’s is so easy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id get V2s my self but only if you can brake propperly – ie dont drag em

shimano if you want to fit and forget then replace every couple of years

hope if you plan to keep for a fair while and want spares availibility ! – since they rectified the old two piece calipers pushing them selves apart under hard braking when i had E4s

currently have x2 races on one bike(described as underpowered in the mag) but they certainly have more than enough power for me – and ive have mono m4s in the past – as with all hopes centering the caliper is key – have it slightly off and they brakes feel woeful !

got mono minis on the big bike and they are performing admirably – how ever my old shimano XTs and Saints are in the spares bin as they weap fluid past the piston seals and this is not a spare – new caliper required.

messiah
    Free Member

I found V2’s complete overkill as they are rather grabby, and I don’t get on with the Tech lever.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I love my M4s, the tech lever is beautiful.
    They certainly stop sharpish. I’m 105kg & the work so well.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the Tech lever. Great feel and adjustability. I remember my XT brakes used to fairly regularly suffer from sticking pistons, but rarely get it on my Hopes.

Hopes are also a complete doddle to bleed

grantyboy
    Free Member

So what is the difference between the V2 and M4, M4 has four pistons and the V2 has one large one??

jedi

v2 with tech lever for the modulation win!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Hope Brakes Needed But Which Ones?’ is closed to new replies.