Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • new Ghostbusters film
  • Pook

it’s on 4 now. it’s not nearly as bad as it was made out to be

Drac

You’re right it’s far worse.

spacemonkey

Nah. I gave it 30 mins a few weeks ago after being convinced by friends it was a pretty good effort.

‘Twas shit IMO. Not a patch on the original.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I was in Boston when it was being filmed there. The first I knew of it was seeing ECTO1 on the back of a low loader and then…and then….I saw that they were filming across the square from my hotel.

I got all fanboi excited! Tried to go and catch a look, but couldn’t get close enough.

Then I heard what it actually was. Then I tried watching it. Then I was sad.

johnners
    Free Member

It’s OK. The original wasn’t all that.

spacemonkey

The original wasn’t all that.

WTAF?

Drac

I’ve banned have him for trolling.

kimbers

My kids prefer it to the original ! 😞

Cougar

I thought it was decent enough. Holtzmann makes it. The original is better, but then, water is wet.

spacemonkey

I’ve banned have him for trolling.

Good work fella.

Del Boy

johnners
    Free Member

Harsh.

tomhoward

I reckon the new one is as good as the original was, it just hasn’t captured the public as well as the original did and hasn’t had all the marketing/kids toys made.

To those who switched off after half an hour, you missed all your favourites…

Drac

I reckon the new one is as good as the original wa

It’s terrible crap comedy based losely on the original.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah it’s just a good fun film, not a masterpiece but had laughs and all that. Remakes/Reboots are always hard to do just because the original is there. It had a heap of negativity from people who didn’t even bother watching it.

To those who switched off after half an hour, you missed all your favourites…

As a rule I skip any review from somebody who didn’t watch the film 😉

prawny

Yeah I enjoyed it too. Didn’t hurt that Kristeb Wigg was in it either.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s got Kristen Wiig initinnit..

Worth a watch IMO.

Drac

The talking vagina?

sbob
    Free Member

Harsh.

It’s not rude if it’s true.

See also: it’s ok if it’s funny.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Wow what a crock and that’s being kind.

The original was hardly a cinematic masterpiece! A kids/family/vehicle to sell merch film, sequels and spin-offs to milk the cow good and proper. Looks pretty dated now I would have thought.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Who you not gonna call?

roger_mellie

The talking vagina?

Err, what now?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t understand that comment either, maybe he knows something we don’t 🤷‍♂️

Drac

Evidently.

hols2
    Free Member
    hols2
    Free Member

Back to the original question. I thought the original was amusing when I was a kid but never rewatched it as an adult because I was pretty sure I’d be disappointed (kinda like rewatching Star Wars or Back to the Future and realizing they’re great kids movies but pretty lame for adults). No desire to watch a remake, even if it was the equal of the original, it would probably still be disappointing.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Got it free with a 4K BluRay player, I turned it off when the himbo secretary covered his eyes (while the ladies covered their ears) for a loud noise. I

Picture quality wise, it’s the best looking 4K disc I’ve seen so far. A cruel and callous joke :/

simondbarnes

I enjoyed it

Drac

That’s pretty much guarantees it’s bad Simon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The original was hardly a cinematic masterpiece! A kids/family/vehicle to sell merch film, sequels and spin-offs to milk the cow good and proper. Looks pretty dated now I would have thought.

A masterpiece, no, but like a lot back in those days it looks properly cinematic as it’s location filmed, proper sets, 35mm film. Not a digital CG green-screen cartoony glossy film.

2 mins of dialogue in an office with jokes, not kick-ass action and effects all the way.

It’s a fun family flick and a bit of an event at the time. I doubt there’s anything in the new one that’s quote worthy.

The trailer for the new one on YouTube though, 300k likes, 1.1M dislikes! 😄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The trailer for the new one on YouTube though, 300k likes, 1.1M dislikes!

Yep it was targeted by some fairly nasty Neanderthals who having not seen it or had any interest in seeing it hated the idea because it was part of an alleged anti men/feminist/blah blah blah agenda.

It does feel dated, great dialogue though, when the reboot came out on streaming I ended up watching both one week, the current one has a lot of nods to it’s predecessor and borrows from it. stand alone it’s still funny potentially the use of Hemsworth in a role where he was asked to play role plenty of women have been asked to play was probably a bit pointed for some 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

In my opinion it’s a terrible, terrible film.

I liked the original one, but it wasn’t my entire childhood wrapped up in 2 hours of film or anything like that, and let’s be fair, GB2 is pretty mediocre.

I heard “all female remake” and was a bit dishearten that it wasn’t going to have the surviving original cast.

I saw the trailer and it looked okay, special effects were good, the backlash actually made me want to see it more, because it was so full of anger at the idea of female ghostbusters.

The pre-release reviews were universally glowing (like the Last Jedi) so I dared to think it could be good after so many poor reboots in recent years.

The post-release reviews were bad, really bad. Especially from real people, the director went to far as to say that they were all sexist pigs who couldn’t bear female ghostbusters.

So I saw it, it’s a complete and utter mess of a film, the characters are paper thin, the story doesn’t make sense and it’s not funny.

It was the first time I’ve seem ‘audience blaming’ in action, lots of ‘fans’ complaining (rightly) that it’s crap and the director telling them they’re sexists.

Drac

Sums it up perfectly P-Jay

rOcKeTdOg

I liked it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So I saw it, it’s a complete and utter mess of a film, the characters are paper thin, the story doesn’t make sense and it’s not funny.

Tough call to say you didn’t laugh at any of it there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was quite looking forward to it, thinking it’d only got a bad rep from sexist reactionary dullards, and knowing there was some decent talent (stop that, you know what I mean!) involved.

So I was surprised just how bad it was. Crap plot, lack of chemistry, some misguided casting choices and – by far the biggest offence – it just wasn’t funny at all.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to vent, it’s good to get that off my chest at last.

mahalo

I am a millennial 80’s fanboy of the original, but opposed to my vociferous contemporaries i was quite excited about the all female cast remake – especially with that cast! its hard not to love anything with Kristen Wiig in it!

i went along to see it and came out with the opinion it was just a bit shit, not terrible, fine, watchable but not Ghostbusters.

it was difficult at the time of release to express any negativity without being labelled a sexist, misogynist pig. but it was nothing to do with all that, its just wasnt that funny.

i watched it again the other night with the kids (both girls) they got bored, so did i…

nickc

the story doesn’t make sense

What? Don’t talk nonsense just because you couldn’t follow the plot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it was difficult at the time of release to express any negativity without being labelled a sexist, misogynist pig. but it was nothing to do with all that, its just wasnt that funny.

Similar to Black Panther. It was an OK film, as such superhero schlock goes, but nothing fantastic. Just OK. However, criticise and be damned!

chakaping
    Free Member

And it could have been so good, but it was just like they forgot to put any jokes in.

Bizarre when Bridesmaids was so funny and there are so many great TV comedies with a similar vibe now, it’s not for a lack of talent out there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kristen has gone even further up the “I really like her” ladder in the Bouy household, who knew she was a talking vagina?

Not me, datfosho.

To add balance to the pasting the films getting…

I think, honestly, that if you look too hard into a remake of anything… y’a just gonna hate it whatever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘new Ghostbusters film’ is closed to new replies.