Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New Genesis Fugio CX bike
  • mdb
    Free Member

Mmmm. Really nice

Sorry cant post a pic. Can never do it on the iPad. I’m sure someone will oblige.

zilog6128

Yeah, it looks very nice! I read through the last few blog entries, some quite interesting reading there. Particularly liked the post about this 953 race frame which looks stunning.

dragon
    Free Member

Bit of a brick at 2.2kg, wouldn’t touch it at that weight, way too heavy for a race bike.

AlexSimon

Looks nice, but heavy and expensive.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

not everybody wants a cheap plastic bike though – thank god

vdubber67
    Free Member

chunkypaul – Member

not everybody wants a cheap plastic bike though – thank god

Anyone who has to put the bike on their shoulder and run up something probably does though. 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

I’m not sold on the disc only option yet. Having said that, the brakes on my crosser may as well not even be there for all the good they do.

HIJACK – any recommendations for reasonable, inexpensive brakes for a crosser?

dragon
    Free Member

It’s a terrible weight even for a steel frame at that price.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

SJ, I have read that TRP mini-v’s are pretty good, 8.4s for sram/campag and the 9’s for shimano. Only problem then is the clearance! I e-mailed TRP and they said that if you use the 8.4’s with shimano you will get a bit more clearance and a bit less power but still more power and less clearance than cantis.

Also on the bike it looks Fit as F***. Quite heavy and out of my price though. Love a steel bike.

AlexSimon

Saying that – if you want a timeless-looking disc cross bike, there aren’t many around that aren’t custom.

Northwind

Maybe it’s just the press shots but does that not seem a wee bit… headtubey? The forks look wrong on the skinny frame too, imo.

slowjo, I slung cheapo Tektro bmx vs on mine, they’re bloomin excellent even with the standard pads in and the clearance is barely any worse than the shortys they replaced. Only downside was that they need an inline barrel adjuster- can’t get the wheel out without slackening the cable (I used a barrel noodle) For the price it’s well worth experimenting with.

rusty90
    Free Member

if you use the 8.4’s with shimano you will get a bit more clearance and a bit less power

Yes, that’s what I’ve done. Work well IMO. I think the 9.6s might even be discontinued, certainly none in stock in the UK when I last looked

plus-one

Tektro 720’s are excellent for the money.. Ride mine hard through the proper filth every year and do actually stop you 🙂

avdave2

It seems to fall between the CdeF and the Vapour, if you wanted a cx bike you’d buy the Vapour and if you want a timeless steel bike for a bit of everything you’d buy the CdeF. I can’t see this selling given the weight.

Alb
    Free Member

4lbs 4oz converts to 1.93kg – not sure what happened on the conversion!

Northwind

It weighs more than a 19 inch Cotic Solaris. (well, possibly, Cotic quote 4.9lbs so they might have done some crazy imperial decimalisation there.) Oh and it costs 50% more. What’s wrong with this picture?

Jamie
    Free Member

It looks alright, but cannot see it swaying me from a Croix De Fer.

p.s Alb, sell me a cheap Croix De Fer 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

It weighs more than a 19 inch Cotic Solaris. (well, possibly, Cotic quote 4.9lbs so they might have done some crazy imperial decimalisation there.) Oh and it costs 50% more. What’s wrong with this picture?

it probably* weighs less than a solaris

and it does come with forks…

(*internet ‘weights’ are usually a bit more ‘hopefull’ than they are ‘accurate’)

and (wild guess) an 853 cx bike is a bit niche-er-er than an 853 29er?

and (carrying on with the wild guessing) more niche-ey = extra £££?

anyway, if it’s only as good as my Equilibrium, then it’ll be bloody lovely. i might guess that this bike is aimed at people like me, happy Genesis fanboys/girls, with an interest in something a bit more ‘refined’…?

if i had the money, i’d probably want one 🙂

Northwind

Cotic weights are accurate. Or at least, all mine have been. (shamefaced- My name is Northwind, and I’m a weigher)

Good point on the forks in the price though, that was stupid.

benji
    Free Member

I think it personally looks great, and am tempted to it for a replacement for my SuperX, share the wheels between my cross bike and 29er, makes having a nice set of wheels for both much more affordable and reasonable.

sillyoldman

Yup – love it.

4lb 4oz is 4.25lbs which ain’t more than 4.9lb…..

Nice fork with it too.

mdb
    Free Member

It’s 4lb 14oz, not 4oz. Not that 10oz is really that discernible.

Northwind

sillyoldman – Member

4lb 4oz is 4.25lbs which ain’t more than 4.9lb…..

But 4lb 14oz is, which is what’s on the website (and that’s for a smaller frame to boot)

It’s probably not that important… But you’d expect a trailbike rated for a 120mm suspension fork (ie, a longer lever on the front end) should be a fair bit heavier than a cross bike made of the same material, no?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can people stop using imperial measurements. It’s just not on.

Alb
    Free Member

Would be a lot cheaper if they sold direct to the public too I’d imagine 😉

scottyroyal
    Free Member

I like it, a lot! Almost as pretty as: http://cielo.chrisking.com/bikes/cross-racer-disc/
    ….but a lot cheaper, no it’s not as ‘handmade’ but i wouldn’t be as scared to ride it 🙂

Yes it will be heavier than alloy and carbon but with the right parts you should get it well under 20lbs.

I think the price is very competitive for an 853 frame with fork.
    Only thing I’m not convinced about is top tube routing for the gear cables, don’t understand why anyone would spec it on a cross bike.

As a cross bike loving nerd I think it fills a nice gap, kudos to Genesis!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New Genesis Fugio CX bike’ is closed to new replies.