Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • New dog time – anyone have beagles? (With pics!)
  • IHN

After the sad loss of Nelson, the world’s crappest but loveliest mongrel, last year, and a suitable period of mourning, we will next week be taking possession of these two beauties:

null

Really looking forward to it, they’re smashing dogs. Anyone got beagles and care to share any tips? And pics, obvs…

perchypanther
    Free Member

I knew a guy that had two, named Mac and Tosh.

They wrecked his house. Apparently destructive tendencies is a bit of a breed trait.

IHN

Oh good.

Del

As is escapology and eating anything they can get their paws on.
    There’s an old joke ‘what do you call a man, walking by himself, carrying a dog’s lead? – a beagle owner’
    Good luck!
    ( To be honest I’m sure they’ll be terrific )

IHN

I’m not sure this is helping…

perchypanther
    Free Member

They also love dogfighting.

In a Sopwith Camel

ads678

My sister has one, it’s a lovely dog, but by god it stinks.

Eats anything including shit, and not just its own.

Lovely dog though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 beagles in my time. Ace dogs. Great temperament.

Bad news is they will run away, and they eat anything..

CheesybeanZ

we know a couple of Beagle owners ,never ever let them of the lead in an open space .

precutduck
    Free Member

As is escapology and eating anything they can get their paws on.
    There’s an old joke ‘what do you call a man, walking by himself, carrying a dog’s lead? – a beagle owner’
    Good luck!
    ( To be honest I’m sure they’ll be terrific )

I was given the following advice from a Beagle Owner

If you ever get a pair of Beagles, pick a favourite out of the two, because at some point they will both run off and in opposite directions. So you need to know which to chase

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My brother has just got one, eats everything the moment it get’s bored, usually within an hour of being left alone, and poos (often projectile and/or explosively) everywhere shortly afterwards.

IHN

*sob*

Daffy

Loving this thread…and to think I was considering a Beagle. Seemingly only an idiot would have have one, let alone two…

slowoldman

When I was at school, family of a mate had one. It was left at home when they went out one evening. They came back to find the dining room trashed – even the table was overturned.

These look nice though, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Daffy

My goodness – look at the images when you search “Beagle destruction” on Google.

karlp
    Free Member

They are working dogs (intelligent) you need to use that intelligence or they can be destructive.
    They love to follow a scent hence the running off.
    But if you train them well, exercise them well and play games that uses their intelligence,you have two lovely super cute/affectionate dogs – that could still run off if you don’t keep a keen eye on them for at least first few years!!
    I recall ours going through a stage of knowing it shouldn’t run off after a scent ie it would look to see if I was watching and if I wasn’t…see old accurate joke in post above.

mattbee

Had one for 16 years.

She would eat anything she could get in her mouth.

Constantly escaping, just jumped the 6’fence, or ate her way through it. Once disappeared for a week and wandered back as if nothing had happened.

She’d  vanish on walks when off the lead and reappear at home hours later, usually covered in fox poo.

Mega affectionate and I absolutely loved her but I swore I’d never have another.

My sister has 2, they are basically the same but appear to act as a little gang of 2 and conspire against doing anything she actually wants them to do unless it’s eat.

Mrs’ friend has one. Never off the lead unless they don’t want to see it for a few hours. Once ate the entire contents of the fridge after her daughter left it open by mistake.

Awesome dogs but you’re a brave, brave man!

the-muffin-man

That top one looks shifty – already plotting! 🙂

willard

I seem to recall that they are almost impossible to train and, once they get a scent, will cheerfully just wander away.

Do you trail run? That might be handy. Maybe budget for a new pair of running shoes

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wonder if IHN did any research before choosing a beagle 🤷‍♂️🧟‍♂️🤦‍♂️

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hmm. Dogs Trust collars. “Pre-owned” pooches by any chance?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Alphabet

I quite fancied a beagle until an earlier thread about them on here put me completely off them. But I’m sure all the dire warnings above don’t apply to your lovely looking pair. What could possibly go wrong?

scotroutes

I used to have one but couldn’t afford the fags.

midlifecrashes

Got this pair of reprobates from the Dog’s Trust in Leeds in October ’17, both around one year old at the time. Details were sketchy but we learned they were a bit too much work and energy for the previous owner. They haven’t been cheap during the settling in phase, about 5 remote controls, a nice Indian rug, two S-Max seatbelts, a chunk of the living room carpet were early casualties.

Recall isn’t perfect, but not terrible. If we’re in the woods and I call and whistle consistently for twenty minutes while breathlessly chasing the sound of her howling at the base of a tree, I can get within ten feet of her, at which point she gives me a mild look of disdain and scoots off in the other direction, to be repeated for the next two and a half hours until she’s had enough, at which point she’ll reappear with a look that says “time for my bath and a good snooze on the comfiest surface you’ve left unguarded”. She’s brilliant.

MrTricky
    Free Member

and the escape video……(hope I did it correctly)…..

MrTricky
    Free Member

ok, try again:

matt_outandabout

IHN – please can we have a weekly destruction diary report please.

slowoldman

Bloody Hell MrTricky, is that Johnny Dawes’ dog?

Do you trail run? That might be handy.

Have a read at Chris Boardman’s Autobiography for his tale of taking a Beagle out for a run.

cchris2lou

I have a cross beagle spaniel. 75% beagle.

Always food scavenging. He needs daily exercise. 10km runs are OK.
    He doesn’t chew anything in the house.
    But

honeybadgerx

Some friends have one. It broke its legs attempting to get food (in fairness it did so 10/10 for commitment ). Get good insurance.

irelanst
    Free Member

I have a cross beagle spaniel. 75% beagle.

We do too, and have experienced all of the negative behaviours above. Rolling in, and eating poo is probably the most disgusting habit. The bin has been emptied so many times and as a pup she was at the vets a lot due to eating stuff she shouldn’t (roll of insulation tape, box of chocolates etc..) so get insurance. She can open doors and the fridge, and jump on the kitchen worktop so the kitchen has to be locked when we go out. Prey drive is pretty strong too, as a pup she would chase rabbits until she was exhausted.

On the plus side, she is really easy to train because she’ll do anything for food. Is incredibly affectionate and we don’t have to empty the kittens litter tray!

marcus
    Free Member

This thread has made my day.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This thread has made my day.

I’m looking forward to next week when we get the “Which new sofa / kitchen units / cage / GPS dog tracker” thread.

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Brother in law has 2 of them, fantastic temperament and are company for each other.

However love rolling in poo or dead animals, can spend hours searching for them in the woods and will eat absolutely anything.

He would have 2 again without question, madman.

cchris2lou

Mine rolled in poo a few times but not that often.
    When living in the UK, he would chase cats and foxes in the garden, jumping up the fence. One day he caught himself on a nail sticking out.
    Opened his whole side, skin was flapping. 20 double stitches.

PiknMix
    Free Member

IHN, still really looking forward to it? 😂

wallop

Yes, I fancied getting a beagle until I read some old threads on here. I can’t be doing with not being able to let a dog off the lead when you’re out walking.

That said though, for all their habits, they generally seem to be very well loved by their owners and make lovely family pets from what I can gather.

RustySpanner

Great thread. 🙂
    Everybody likes the beagles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘New dog time – anyone have beagles? (With pics!)’ is closed to new replies.