Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • New Defender
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t think you can build an “easy fix vehicle” for the EU/American market. With all the emissions control gumpf and quest for light weight and electric that’ll never happen.

I disagree. If you remove needless thing like electric handbreaks the hold back to easy to fix is basically the manufacturer providing an open interface to their ECU / bcu etc would good documentation so that enthusiast’s can develop their own diagnostic software. Much of the difficulty with modern cars is because unless you have manufacturers software and documentation you don’t have access to lotta of diagnostic information, or the ability to recode a new box or test sensors / actuators.

votchy
    Free Member

More capable off road than many are giving credit, billed as most capable land rover ever. During testing in the middle east it did drive straight over the dunes that the land cruisers could not get to the top of so deserves some credit. Target customer is also probably not the same demographic as original defender.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Well, I doubt they will sell many (?any) of these to military customers in volumes anything like the old Defender. Sometimes manufacturers seem happy to shoot themselves in the foot. Over 200,000 Defenders have been brought by the MoD alone.

More Pinzgauers and potentially G-Wagons is the rumoured long-term plan for the British military. At least reliability will improve!

the-muffin-man

I think the MOD run vehicles a lot more complicated than a Land Rover Defender!

We’re also forgetting that farmers these days don’t hold their trousers up with baler twine or have moth-eaten waistcoats. They’re running state-of-the art farm machinery. The bash-it-with-a-hammer breed are dying out.

midlifecrashes

Not read a proper review yet, what’s the range between charges, and how quick to recharge 50%?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Jaysus, with an RRP of £41K for the entry level all the way up to £79k plus extras I’m most definitely oot.

Anyone with a remotely serious outdoor livelihood who requires a 4×4 will opt for a Mitsubishi Something or a Toyota Landcruiser instead.

pictonroad

Less capable off road than a Jimny? I doubt it very much, i drive an old school ladder frame 4×4 with gnarly tyres and a low range box. As much as I’m loathe to admit it, the modern tech independent suspension and true independent control of power and braking is light years ahead for 99% of people.

As for the MOD propping up sales, forget it, you’re years behind. They were selling 15k old school defenders a year, they’re planning on 100k of these. The MOD and farmers are completely irrelevant.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Jaysus, with an RRP of £41K for the entry level all the way up to £79k plus extras I’m most definitely oot.

Anyone with a remotely serious outdoor livelihood who requires a 4×4 will opt for a Mitsubishi Something or a Toyota Landcruiser instead.

It’s £40k for the middle 5 door spec Landcruiser, so not much difference. I guess the LR will be a nicer place to sit but will spend a lot more time at the dealers than the Toyota.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ll have one like this on steelies please

toomba
    Free Member

Ugly, expensive, probably unreliable……
    I like it
    Land Rover will sell them like hot cakes,
    Form an orderly queue

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I disagree. If you remove needless thing like electric handbreaks the hold back to easy to fix is basically the manufacturer providing an open interface to their ECU / bcu etc would good documentation so that enthusiast’s can develop their own diagnostic software. Much of the difficulty with modern cars is because unless you have manufacturers software and documentation you don’t have access to lotta of diagnostic information, or the ability to recode a new box or test sensors / actuators.

Why on earth would they want people to mod their cars? Maybe Part of the reason they have a reputation for unreliability is because of all the diy mod s people do.

Can’t do a ladder chassis. Production costs would be astronomical as thhtey’d have to have a dedicated production line and dedicated parts as they wouldn’ Be able to be built on a shared production line and share loads of parts with other models. Plus stuff like crash protection, pedestrian impact protection, actually being able to put a body on it without it standing proud on top of a ladder chassis compromising the design.

It’s a modern car for the modern market.

globalti
    Free Member

If you bought one, how long do you think it would be before it was on its way to Russia in a sea container?

Ex-MOD 90 owner here but I wouldn’t touch this with a bargepole, it’s styled to appeal to the same kind of people who bought Hummer 11 in the USA.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Carwow and Hammond’s vid on youtube.

Interestingly the car is not painted its a vinyl coat.

40k for base model and close to 80k for the top spec.

I quite like the look of the 90 but the 110 is more practical family wise. 3.5 tonne towing. 900kg in the boot and 300kg on the roof. Option of a “middle” front seat but not sure if or where an air bag would deploy from?

Wonder if it will affect the disco and rangie prices?

RustyNissanPrairie

the configurator is on LR’s website, I specced a base 110 with silver paint, black roof, standard everything inside, sump bash plate, plastic wheel arches and ‘chequer plate’, it looked nice but it ended up at £51k!

Im sure its going to be massively capable both on and off road and has slotted in nicely where Disco 3&4 would have continued to had it not morphed into the jelly mould Discovery5 but I dont think its base spec is anywhere near as rugged as a Jimny, LC, G wagen Professional.

Over to you now Jim Ratcliffe……

https://projektgrenadier.com/

maxtorque

Is the 110 with a matching expedition trailer just the thing to finally “one-up” those pesky nextdoorers with their fancy T6 California??

Bruder Trailer is £55k alone btw!

https://newatlas.com/bruder-exp-6-trailer/43918/

franksinatra

the configurator is on LR’s website, I specced a base 110 with silver paint, black roof, standard everything inside, sump bash plate, plastic wheel arches and ‘chequer plate’, it looked nice but it ended up at £51k!

Must try harder, I just managed to spec mine to £85k but selecting everything (including smoking pack!)

v8ninety

Can’t do a ladder chassis. Production costs would be astronomical as thhtey’d have to have a dedicated production line and dedicated parts as they wouldn’ Be able to be built on a shared production line and share loads of parts with other models. Plus stuff like crash protection, pedestrian impact protection, actually being able to put a body on it without it standing proud on top of a ladder chassis compromising the design.

It’s a modern car for the modern market.

I agree with your final assertion but not particularly how you got to it. JLR have chosen to move away from ladder chassis for sensible business reasons of weight, on road refinement and cost. But that move has, IMO, taken the brand away from its utilitarian roots to the point that it’s just trading on an image. Jeep have kept the Wrangler on a ladder chassis with live axles because their main market demographic values the pedigree of a real ‘off roader’ in the line up, even if the rest of the range are just ‘modern cars for a modern market’. The Jimny is built on live axles and a chassis because it’s a cheap and reliable way to get real off road ability, albeit at the cost of the road manners that drivers of expensive modern cars expect.

So yes, the new defender is a modern car for a modern market, but that’s because it’s been specified by stylists, market researchers and accountants. It’s just another jelly mold car with some fancy electronics to justify its ‘premium off roader’ price tag.

It’s of no interest to me.

revs1972
    Free Member

Yeah but in reality, it’s not going to be £40-£80k is it. It’s going to be £399-£800 a month for most buyers in their new financed whip 😉

ta11pau1

I expect to see these all over the place, mostly parked badly on kerbs or zigzags whilst picking up little tommy, who can’t possibly walk to school as it’s raining.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Having read some of your thoughts, and satisfied a few of mine….

I too would have liked to have seen more use of recycled materials like plastic panels and door skins and the like. Kept the interior basic to the point of jet washable, spec’d them all with steel wheels and a luggage rack on the roof. Essentially, basic Dacia Duster spec.

That way owners can buy aftermarket parts/wheels etc. To do what they like with the basic spec. Return it to its grass roots. As is it’s an oddly placed similar spec to an Ewok/Discovery Sport/RR Sport with a little more off road capability… and the Disco and RR are very capable vehicles in their own right.

So, where does this slot in? Size wise it’s similar to a Disco Sport so Waitrose car parks will be similarly rammed white line-to-white line…

All I’m really saying I guess is “what’s the point of it?”

Who will be the first to own one and put an “one life-live it” sticker on the rear window?

🤷‍♂️🤪

fooman

I like it, but it’s a bit too ‘nice’ to be a working vehicle. Plastic body panels, washable interior and ditch the electronics I might have been more interested – I’d still want it comfy with aircon and auto box mind.

Be interesting to see what Projekt Grenadier comes up with though I can’t help feeling the name is a bit too pretentious to come up with a Defender competitor.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ta11pau1

Subscriber
    I expect to see these all over the place, mostly parked badly on kerbs or zigzags whilst picking up little tommy, who can’t possibly walk to school as it’s raining.

You officially won the 4×4 cliches game, thanks for playing. Coming up after the break, we talk to Giant about their new 27.5 wheel size which is apparently going to revolutionise mountain cycling.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m not really a fan of the concept. The biggest draw of a proper land rover to me is the simplicity and adaptability. The new one might be technically incredible, but if I can’t take it to bits and see how it works then I’m just not interested.

Thing is, land rover don’t care what I think. No matter what they had brought out, I was never going to buy a new one anyway. If I had £40k going spare I’d go on holiday for a year, not buy a car!

They’ll probably sell loads of them, though I can’t help but wonder if they will be taking sales from other areas in their own product range. It doesn’t seem utilitarian enough to occupy a different niche from the likes of the Discovery.

I can’t see the local farmers taking one on instead of the near-ubiquitous Ford Ranger either. The Ranger starts at half the price of the Defender. Incidentally, I went to check the price of the Ranger and it’s listed without VAT, where the Defender is listed including VAT. Even the advertised pricing shows who is really expected to buy the new Defender.

longmover
    Free Member

I want one, The spec I want comes to 60K for a 110SE with 7 seats. Will probably go to have a look at one when the local dealer gets one and I am home.

votchy
    Free Member

Regarding cost, remember Jeep Wrangler starts at £46k so Defender pricing not OTT

matt_outandabout

I too am interested in what Grenadier comes up with.

As others have said, a simple interior, bolt on bits, sheep in the boot would have been true to the MK1 and 2. I’m hoping that Grenadier might be this.

The last 20 years, particularly the last decade, have shown that the market is bigger and more profitable outside of a sheep farmer or two. Families with money, image drives everything and no-one owns a car, they make monthly payments. This is where the new Defender is aimed.

maxtorque

It always amazes me how many people don’t understand what a “ladder chassis” is actually used for!

(hint, it’s nothing to do with “off roading” or “beam axles” or anything like that……)

halifaxpete

Gotta say I like it, was messing about on the configurator thingy last night, playing it as if I’d actually buy it and keeping it sensible D240 HSE specced with afew options was at 70k! Bloody expensive, love the looks in green with a white roof/steels though

RustySpanner

As someone who thinks premium suv’s are the sign of a wrong ‘un I have to admit, they’ve nailed it.

Love the fact it’s still hugely capable off road but they actually have to sell a few of these, so it was never going to be like the old one.

I like the looks, apart from the over busy front panel.

The commercial range could be interesting – ditch the toys, simplify and the prices might be slightly more realistic.

They’ll all get fantastic reviews, sell like crazy and never ever break down.🙂

Did someone mention something about the paint being vinyl? As in a posh wrap?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Why on earth would they want people to mod their cars? Maybe Part of the reason they have a reputation for unreliability is because of all the diy mod s people do.

Its not just modding the car, its being able to have the data / information available to repair the car yourself. Right to repair. It should not only be dealerships that are able / allowed to repair your car. I now there is a bit of attitude on here by some that you should just rent / lease replace often with car but the vehicle need to go on for a long time afterthe initial owner.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It always amazes me how many people don’t understand what a “ladder chassis” is actually used for!

Genuine question – what is it used for? I had never heard the term before this thread.

boomerlives
    Free Member

It’s how cars used to be made. Until everyone else realised that monocoques were better in every way except you can’t replace it when it rusts through in months.

Made in Slovakia by an Indian company. Just smell the history it’s name has.

Superficial
    Free Member

It looks like a Mini Countryman to me. I’m not sure whether that’s a criticism or not.

Genuine off road ability isn’t actually important for how they will be used, but it is important for selling this as a ‘salt-of-the-Earth’ machine.

A lot of people, myself included, think Range Rovers (and to a lesser extent, but definitely still) Discoveries are a bit hoity-toity and completely vulgar / unnecessary but I still like the look of old Defenders. If JLR can convince people like me to buy these new ones then they’re onto a winner. I’m not sure they’ve won me over but I’ll be interested to see how this all pans out.

IHN

Bruder Trailer is £55k alone btw!
    https://newatlas.com/bruder-exp-6-trailer/43918/

*adds Bruder trailer to lottery-win list*

zilog6128

A few members of the local LR enthusiast group just popped in as we occasionally do some bits for them so I canvassed opinions, was surprised to find that they all really rate it (based on first impressions not having actually driven one obviously!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ are they pleased that JLR are actually making the thing? or they think it’s a decent vehicle that they may buy?

Anyway.. the carwow review mentioned that the panels have a Wrap on them, and it that gets scratched they can whip it off and put another Wrap on it.

Which is a good idea.. shame they panels aren’t recycled plastic..

chestrockwell

I like it due to the fact it’s nothing like the old Defender as that was a terrible, hateful thing.

zilog6128

^^ are they pleased that JLR are actually making the thing? or they think it’s a decent vehicle that they may buy?

both, although given the cost there was some reservation about buying one then actually driving it of-road 😃 I was surprised that the most popular LR is actually a Disco rather than the classic Defender.

muddyground
    Free Member

6 seats in a compact easy drive space, wipe down interior, commanding driving position, name brand life style vehicle… If ever a car was designed for the school run brigade, this is it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘New Defender’ is closed to new replies.