Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New commuter options
  • ehrob

Hello, on the lookout for a new bike. My commute is 7 miles each way, done all year round and reasonably flat (though I may use a new bike to get into the hills a bit too).

Wish list:

Full build
    Single speed
    Hydraulic discs
    Larger tyre clearance
    Mudguard mounts

So possibly some sort of single speed crosser? I’m open to different bar options, frame materials and other stuff, but I don’t keep my ear to the ground when it comes to these sorts of bikes. Budget could go up towards a grand.

Any suggestions?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Disc…

Its what i use for a similair commute,

added the following to it

Full Guards
    Torted Velocity Hybrid Pannier
    Lomo Pannier bag

Awesome bike, running 35mm tyres which cope with the mix of gravel bridle way and road, simple maintainance, cable discs more than powerful enough for stopping, had the bike for about three years now through the C2W scheme

Must take photo of it as it is now

whitestone
    Free Member

Probably easiest to remove the gears and set things up SS yourself – you’ll get more options that way. Hydraulic discs might be your other sticking point (sorry) if you go for drops.

Try this Genesis for starters.

Edit: beaten to it 😆

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Trp Hylex the only option for hydraulic drop discs (or just use some STI’s without any gear cables)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Not quite exactly what you asked for, but I recently got a Verenti Division.

Really pleased with it, bargain commuter. Only thing I swapped was to put some wider bars on it.

ehrob

Thanks, very good to know on the hydro disc front. Not up for spending what I’d spend on mtb brakes, so both the TRP and Shimano options are no good for me.

I’ve actually got some bullhorns on my current commuter which have been fine. So I guess potentially I could keep them and fit some mtb hydros if I was absolutely determined to use hydros. My missus has a flat barred commuter, and whilst it’s ok, I think I’d prefer drops or bullhorns.

Or I could go down the mechanical disc route, of which I’ve limited experience.

The Genesis looks like it ticks plenty of boxes. If there’s any other options keep em coming.

Cheers

flanagaj
    Free Member

I love my Specialized Diverge. Integrated mudguard mounts (brilliant idea) and also has pannier rack mounts. Currently running 32c conti ultra Gator Skins.

whitestone
    Free Member

@ehrob – I’ve mechanical disc brakes on both my commuter (TRP Spyres) and fat bike (Avid BB7s) and while they do need more attention than hydraulic, it’s once or month or so depending on what riding conditions have been like. If the brakes don’t feel soft then there’s no point in even doing that. It’s really not the problem that some people make it out to be.

nickb

Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed?

philjunior
    Free Member

I would be surprised if you couldn’t get something SS for £1k with hydro disks on the drops, but there will be little choice (The price of hydro STIs would probably make discarding the gear side of them a bit prohibitive).

ehrob

Cheers all.

That Pinnacle is the option I’ve seen that ticks all the above boxes without me having to do anything to it. White is stupid colour for a commuter bike though.

There’s a possibility of using Cycle2Work to buy it, which I don’t think includes Evans. Not a deal breaker but something for me to consider.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New commuter options’ is closed to new replies.