• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New commuter, 30mm ish tyre recommendations
  • ehrob

Got a lovely discounted Transition Rapture on the way.

Going to be riding it off road at the weekends when not MTBing, but its main job will be commuting. Doesn’t have mounts for mudguards so currently planning on adding some Raceblade Pro XLs.

I know bugger all about road tyres though. My commute is 6 miles each way road/cycle path, and is well surfaced for the most part. I’d like something wide, around 30-32mm (assuming these fit the Raceblades) so its comfier than my old commuter which only took 23s. I’ll set them up with tubes.

Is there a go to tyre for this purpose? What are you lot using?

dmck16
    Free Member

Are you going to be swapping tyres onto the one set of rims? (ie. bigger/knobblier for off road, then thinner slicks for the commute).

Or are you looking for an “all rounder” tyre to cover all bases?

ehrob

I’ll be swapping the tyres on the same set of rims. The bike comes with some Maxxis Raze tyres. I’d like something more suitable for the commute, so nothing knobbly.

Realistically I’m unsure as yet how much offroading I’ll do on it, as I do rather like my mtb.

dmck16
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I planned for my CX bike last year. Got a set of WTB Nanos (40c) for off road duties, and some Schwalbe Duranos (28c) for the roads.

However, the tyres were such a pain in the arse to swap over that I ended up getting another wheelset. Now all I’ve got to do is swap the cassette over, so only a matter of seconds really.
    Performance wise both tyres have been brilliant, hence why I’ve stuck with them.

So just make sure you don’t make the same mistake 😆 my mate swaps his non-tubeless-ready Nanos easily, whereas the ones my LBS got in were TR versions.

If I were to stick to a single tyre set up then I’d be considering the Schwalbe G-Ones. That’s in no way speaking from experience, I just reckon they look like a good compromise.

Hope that’s of some use to you! 🙂

sb88
    Free Member

Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding 32c. Faster times over a same-route 20 mile commute than my 25c road tyres. Comfier too.

jkomo

Got some 37mm voyagers from PX, £14 each!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Schwalbe G-Ones would be my weapon of choice.

lazybike
    Free Member

Marathon plus…and another pair of wheels.

ampthill

Another one riding those cheap hyper voyagers from PX

steezysix
    Free Member

Another vote for the Voyager Hyper – they are sooo fast! They’re pretty tough too, I rode from London to Norway on the 37mm ones with a full touring load, not one puncture the whole way!

CraigW
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Rather puncture proof, and pretty fast. And a lot easier to fit than Marathon Plus.

ehrob

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

kiwijohn

Specialized Roubaix. Tubeless ready, quite cheap & roll fast.
    I was thinking of getting a Rapture, but it’ll only take a 35, apparently.

IHN

Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding 32c. Faster times over a same-route 20 mile commute than my 25c road tyres. Comfier too.

Another one riding those cheap hyper voyagers from PX

Ditto

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New commuter, 30mm ish tyre recommendations’ is closed to new replies.