• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by momo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New chain
  • steveo48
    Free Member

Hi again, as this forum is full of great info with people with a lot of knowledge, i’ll keep the questions coming.
    What do i need to look out for apart from 9 or 10 speed/single speed when buying a new chain?
    Steveo

palmer77
    Free Member

Don’t buy a Shimano 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Very little…IMO/E a cheap chain from a decent brand wears and shifts as well as the more expensive, which may rust less.

Many people will say “don’t buy brand XXXXX” because one broke on them once, which is a bit stupid when you think about it.

palmer77
    Free Member

True, but KMC are easier to change the link pins on…

mrchrispy

SRAM or KMC

dirtyrider
    Free Member

kmc x10sl

Kevevs
    Free Member

titanium

spooky_b329

SRAM or Shimano, a more expensive one if you want it to stay shiny, and use a SRAM powerlink. (will work with the Shimano as well)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I only use Shimano these days after numerous Sram breakages. never snapped a Shimano, learn how to fit them properly and they’re great.

cp

I’ve not snapped a chain for years, across shimano sram and kmc. on KMC x9 at the mo, as they were cheap from merlin.

That generally dictates what i get – whats the cheapest deal for 3.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m liking the KMC at the moment, seem to be a bit smoother than Sram, or still revert back to Shimano for the best shifting.

santacrews
    Free Member

I dont use shimano and havent since the mid nineties as i went through a spate of snapped chains ? HOWEVER ! Judging the post above they were fitted incorrectly 🙄

I’ve used SRAM since and havent had a problem !

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I would get Shimano or SRAM specific for the rear cassette and gear set up you are using. It might all seem like marketing bolox but the links are chamfered to match the shifting posts/ramps on their gears.

Although – everyone is going to say that it makes no difference.

rootes1

Wippermann Connex

njee20
    Free Member

Ive snapped everything, and tend to use whatever’s kicking around the workshop from either SRAM, KMC or Shimano, they all work. IMO X9SLs don’t last as long, but they are light.

stumpy01

First time I’ve used a SRAM & it seems to have worn very quickly. Couple of friends use them & often seem to snap them.

I’ve been using KMC for a couple of years & have had no issues; good price, long lasting, easy to split with link etc.

momo

I’m on SRAM at the moment (970 iirc) and haven’t noticed any drop in shifting performance from the dura-ace one on there before, usually get whichever I can get cheapest/best deal on when I need one.

Oh and I’ve snapped shimano and SRAM ones in the past, and never at the joining pin.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New chain’ is closed to new replies.