Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • New Build Day – Banshee Phantom V3!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Just stripped my Slash frame and fork to clean ready for sale. Now I’m sat here patiently waiting for TNT/FedEx to turn up 🙂

Bought the frame from James (@pigyn) at Pedals Bike Care in Edinburgh. Good old fashioned phone order! Excellent service and thoroughly friendly people they are.

I’ve been after a shorter travel 29er for a bit and it was between this and a Stage Evo. I loved my Trek, and it’s probably the best one I’ve had so far, but my legs were just too short for the seat tube!

I’ll stick some pics up and write a bit about it when it’s done as there’s not a load of info out on this particular model.

honourablegeorge

Posting the thread before receiving the frame…. I hope you haven’t put the mockers on that delivery now.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Bollocks! I didn’t think of that haha!

It’d be my bloody luck that too.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’ve upgraded my prime v2 to a titan this year, the new ks2 linkage is great. Enjoy!

johnw1984
    Free Member

To be honest, it was seeing a V3 Titan in the flesh that swung it. The bloke riding it let me have a good poke around and then demonstrated by clearing a massive gap jump on it 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Titan owner here, I luuuurve it.

momo

Checking in, Phantom V3 is very high on my shortlist for my next bike. I loved my old Spitfire and still wish I’d never sold it

keppoch

Anyone got a Prime V3 or can point me in the direction of a review? Interested in these.

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s arrived!

See you in a few hours… oh and I like the nice touch with the top cap 🙂

hooli

Shiny! I like that a lot.

schmung
    Free Member

Very nice indeed.
    Starting to get excited about the Titan I’ve got on order.

snotrag

Nice that. Reminds me a lot of my old 2006 Giant Reign (in a good way, great bike!).

rascal
    Free Member

Couldn’t you afford the paint? 😉
    I like that a lot.

pigyn
    Free Member

Glad it arrived ok 😊 I finally took the plunge and ordered a Prime – in raw – to build up 29+ (at least at the front) ❤️

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Phwoar. That. Is. Fit.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Haha, looked in the box and couldn’t see anymore paint. I reckon he’s ripped me off 🙂

Prime will be ace with that setup! Tempted to steal my wife’s back wheel and try a mullet!

Finished for now (about 99%).

Really took my time to get the cables nice and neat on this one. Easily the best looking bike I’ve had!

Might need a new chain (old one looks just too short). Dropped a small screw inside the frame and spent 30 mins trying to fish it out, right at the end too!

Going to leave the decals off the Fox fork for now as I like the looks of it.

Got a few upgrades planned in the future once I’ve got all the suspension (and the saddle angle) set up.

Here’s a few pics built up, I’ll take some more when it gets dirty 🙂

teethgrinder

They do make a beautiful raw frame, do Banshee.

Shackleton

I loved my mk1 phantom until it snapped. Luckily pedals/@pigyn sorted me a warranty prime.

Your phantom looks ace. Very envious!

kiwijohn

Was it the screw for the cable bungs on the downtube? I did that on my Rune and had to take the fork out.
    Love the raw, was my first choice, but ended up with orange.

pedlad

v v nice – another envious older-banshee owner here.
    Be interested to see if the cast cage area collects mud and how easy it is to clean that and the shock shaft.

kiwijohn

@pedlad my Rune doesn’t collect mud there & it open at the bottom so easy to clean anything in there.
    It’s also easy to make a mudguard for the inside of the swingarm.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My Slash has a very similar opening at the bottom of the shock, smaller too but still easy to clean.

Waiting for my new chain as the old one is a tad too short. Spare brake pads turned up in less that 24 hours from Uber Bike so that was a nice surprise!

Just waiting to see where I can go at the weekend to try it out depending on restrictions. I could probably get away with a 20 min drive to Rivington?

dandasbike
    Free Member

Very nice! Love the raw too. Enjoy

johnw1984
    Free Member

@kiwijohn

Yep, the tiny screw for the cable bung things! Thought they were a clever idea till I poked the screw through the wrong hole (ohh err!).

My choice was raw or black, but I didn’t want another black bike 🙂

gibbonarms
    Free Member

The raw tint this year on the banshees is stunning.

fingerbang
    Free Member

You have a gorgeous bike there, but you have no money left over for skirting Boards so I feel there’s been a cosmic rebalancing. Which is nice

I’m a 2014 spitfire owner and deffo need to get an update

Anyway, theres no greater pleasure than new bike day, and I’ve included my son’s birth and wedding day

schmung
    Free Member

Very nice indeed

Houns

Never mind the saddle angle, you need to go find your skirting board first

johnw1984
    Free Member

haha! House DIY gets put off for years here 🙂

I’ll get around to it 😉

bsims
    Free Member

You need to run a vacuum cleaner under your sofa. Nice bike by the way!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh I know! Been a hectic few weeks. There’s a massive oak desk taking up half of the room too that I need to get upstairs!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Went out and got it dirty today. Still getting suspension set up right, but it feels very quick!

Bottom bracket height is a lot lower than my Slash was, so have to get used to that 🙂

Need to add another token to the fork and maybe get a bigger volume spacer for the shock too. It’s plush, but bottoming out too easily (even at the correct sag).

Here’s a dirty pic

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Great looking frame. I went the runev3 route but yet to build it up.

What size rotor and mount you running out back?

Thanks!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂 I don’t reckon you’ll be unhappy with the Rune.

I’ve just got a 180mm Sram Centreline rotor on the back as it’s just what I had to hand. I’m tempted to go 200mm at the back to match the front though.

As this is probably the first full suspension bike I’ve had I can legitimately try a smaller wheel at the back, I really want to have a go!

I might see if I can pick up a cheap DT Swiss rear wheel to try soon, or at least something with a DT350 hub.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What size of frame did you go for and what height are you?

I was in Pedals last week eyeing up the Project DC frames they do but after talking to them a Phantom or similar might make more sense..

What forks and any idea on complete weight?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah yeah, I might as well do a full spec list of the build, I’d forgotten about that!

I’m 6’2″ and went for an XL. Fairly short legs though with a 33″ inseam! It’s the reason I’m selling my XL Slash frame soon (seat tube was too tall for my liking).

Frame: Banshee Phantom V3 XL (inc. Fox DPX2 Performance Elite)
    Fork: Fox 34 Performance 130mm (51mm offset)
    Gears: Shimano SLX 12 speed (inc crank)
    Brakes: Sram Guide RSC (200mm front, 180mm rear).
    Pedals: Burgtec Penthouse Mk.4
    Bars: Renthal FatBar Alu 780mm
    Grips: DMR Deathgrip
    Stem: Spank Spoon 50mm
    Wheels: Santa Cruz Reserve 27 with DT Swiss 350 hubs
    Tyres: Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 (front and rear set)
    Dropper: Bontrager 150mm
    Saddle: Ergon SM Enduro M/L

I’d estimate the weight to be around 14.8kg. It’s not a light bike but it feels incredibly sturdy and pedals very well. I’ll probably be getting a lighter bar/stem for crimbo so that will probably shave a few grams.

I’m also running the drop outs in the lower position at the moment and getting used to the lower BB. Once I’ve had a few rides, I’ll swap to the neutral position and see what that feels like.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Thanks for the spec list. I went Large on the Rune at 6ft,33″ inseam.

Can these bikes take 200mm in the back? Looking for an adapter.

kiwijohn

@lightfighter762 Don’t see why not. It’s just an IS to post mount adapter. I’ve been riding a V3 Rune since march & it is an absolute weapon.
    One thing I did add was a Topeak Alt Position bottle cage mount to shift the bottle cage down 30mm. Now it can fit a 750mL bottle and still doesn’t touch the shock.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on the h20.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Any further thoughts on the Phantom? Still fancy one when funds allow..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘New Build Day – Banshee Phantom V3!’ is closed to new replies.