Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • new bike week at team sky
  • findo_gask
    Free Member
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I pity the bloke on tubs duty.

Sadly Pinarello’s still summon a little bit of sick into my mouth.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Well yeah, but that workshop!

rOcKeTdOg

chinarellos probably 😛

benji
    Free Member

Just wow, the racks of wheels alone is just incredible, how ever much monies worth of kit and equipment have they got?

bob_summers

that fairing/cowl on the Bolide rear brake. I thought such things weren’t UCI legal?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s a health and safety nightmare!!!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hope they had one of thes e to help set up/fine tune the 5/6 bikes that each rider has.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

MW I wasn’t the only one then! not in the UK so they don’t care! 😈

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

No yellow bikes mean no le tour winner next year then?

ninfan
    Free Member

Each bike took almost two hours to build

Pah, amateurs!

belugabob
    Free Member

High tech stuff…

…using a laptop to test your fairy lights.

everyone
    Free Member

80 bikes? Assuming £15k/bike that’d be £1.2m. Including kit, spare parts etc I reckon it’d be closer to £1.5m.

monkeychild
    Free Member

80 bikes? Assuming £15k/bike that’d be £1.2m. Including kit, spare parts etc I reckon it’d be closer to £1.5m.

By eck you could buy a car for that!!

everyone
    Free Member

Hang on, I think I’ve overestimated there. It’s probably around £10k/bike, so that makes it “only” £800,000 (probably a round million with spares etc). You could still swap them all for a house though.

tthew

Two hours to build each bike, plus about 4 bottles of beer is the usual consumption is it not? Wouldn’t fancy riding the 3.00pm to 5.00pm ones!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Who do you reckon the princess is that demanded a different saddle?

Hang on, I think I’ve overestimated there. It’s probably around £10k/bike, so that makes it “only” £800,000 (probably a round million with spares etc). You could still swap them all for a house though.

Even £10k seems high?

£3900 for F8 frames
    £1500 C50 tub wheelsets
    £100 tyres
    £2000 Di2 groupset
    £100 saddle
    £125 pedals
    £60 Pro plt stem
    £150 Pro vibe bars

=some change short of £8k.

And in that pic it looks like there’s a lot of training bikes with plain handbuilt wheels, and cheaper DA wheelsets which probably brings the average down somewhat?

schmiken

Add in the powermeters, plus a compact and standard chainset per bike, ceramic bearing upgrades, brake pad upgrades, spare cassettes, bar tape and bottle cages.

That’ll top the price per bike up a bit even if you discount the probable 4 pairs of wheels each bike will have (training wheels, deep sections, very deep sections and climbing wheels).

belugabob
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if they pay retail prices – probably part of the sponsorship deal.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Lush but sad that still no disc brakes. Looks like something from nasa or F1 not cycling nice to see the top end of our sport is progressing (although don’t know what difference that makes to me personally).

schmiken

I’d be very surprised if they pay at all – from chatting to a couple of professional spanner monkeys last year most of the teams sponsors will be delivering free product AND paying a hefty amount for Sky to be riding their kit too.

Pinarello and Rapha certainly haven’t done too badly out if it 😉

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I once visited the Rabobank Giant service course in Holkand. amazing. All run and all bikes built by 2 guys for over 40 riders. The old timer knew every dimension, gear ratio, stem length etc. for every bike, in his head, nothing written down.

It was a bit less F1 than Sky’s setup but very impressive non the less.

tang
    Free Member

They won’t be paying much, if anything for that lot.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Apparently every bike is built from scratch. And the award for pointing out the blindingly bloody obvious goes to………

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lush but sad that still no disc brakes

its not Sky/Pinarellos issue though is it, its the UCI who need to progress

crazy-legs

Lush but sad that still no disc brakes

its not Sky/Pinarellos issue though is it, its the UCI who need to progress

The 2015 Paris Roubaix is being used a “test” event for disc brakes. The fact that most teams run specific bikes for P-R now means that the cost of setting them up with disc brakes is far less than it otherwise would be and the conditions are perfect for discs. Win all round.

Be approved by 2016 I reckon (unless there’s a major drama where a rider slices his fingers off in a rotor…)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They won’t be paying much, if anything for that lot.

The Finances of Team Sky

Interestingly, according to this they paid £2.1million for bikes and equipment in 2013. Probably in the right ballpark if we’re talking £8k-£10k per bike including spare wheels, plus all their other kit.

And received £5.8million in “performance sponsorship”.

I suppose maybe they’re paid £8million by the sponsors then ‘buy’ the parts with that? Either that or they’ve got a lot of other kit costs.

atlaz
    Free Member

My understanding is sponsors give them a notional sponsorship value of X and they use some of that to buy the equipment from the sponsors. I think gifts of the value that is in that shipment could be quite interesting to the taxman 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The 2015 Paris Roubaix is being used a “test” event for disc brakes

Really? I read 2016 at the earliest, is this official?

muddy9mtb

then the team car pulls up with even more bikes on the roof

atlaz
    Free Member

Really? I read 2016 at the earliest, is this official?

Yep, 2016

nemesis
    Free Member

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/bikes-and-tech/stopping-progress-debate-hydraulic-disc-brakes-pro-peloton_340905

The UCI will run Paris-Roubaix as a road disc test event in 2016, according to sources within the UCI and the cycling industry. The governing body was originally shooting for 2015, but Campagnolo’s slow movement toward discs and SRAM’s recent recall moved that optimistic timeline back. Even 2016 may be overly optimistic. “If the answers aren’t here today, I don’t think the UCI is a year or two away,” Meyer said.

Bloody Campag 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So will that be disks compulsory for everyone at P-R, or a just disks permitted?

nemesis
    Free Member

Permitted I expect – not sure that every bike company sponsoring teams will have an appropriate disc model available – the smaller teams in particular.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I would guess permitted, I can’t imagine they’d run disks for the first time ever at PR, the premier one day event in the calendar.

I’d expect to see a couple teams, like Eurocar, (if they’re still here and riding Colnago), be allowed to use them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too would say permitted, but dependant on riders preference, clearly the Team will have something to say about it but some riders (most I’d say) will be happy with std rim brakes.

We’ll see.

GreenK
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Who do you reckon the princess is that demanded a different saddle?

From my experience anyone who’s sat on one of the Fizik saddles! 😀

charlierevell
    Free Member

Its not a different saddle… Still a Fizik, just a new version of the Aliante!

NormalMan

It looks like if you are a DS you get to have the saddle you choose to me 🙂

It is Servais Knaven’s bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is Servais Knaven’s bike.

The one on the right with no logo, just a (gorilla taped over?) shiny band across the back. Looks more like an arione than aliante.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘new bike week at team sky’ is closed to new replies.