• This topic has 192 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 193 total)
  • New Bike Day… the not so Enduro race speedy carbon bike
  • endomick
    Free Member

Someones touchy, ooooh 👜, I was only joshing.

weeksy

Lol that was me being touchy? It’s amazing what the written word can sometimes be interpreted as.

chrismac

Looks lovely. Always ridden well

weeksy

It fair flies along this thing. I did 2 trails i know well and are a bit pedally a bit rolly. I wasn’t quite on KOM/PR pace, but pretty darn close and conditions are not exactly ideal currently. I think with a bit more getting used to it, i’ll be up there. Even though i’m arguably not compared to my 2017 self.

Forks are a little too firm, so need to drop a bit out of them.. Apart from that, it’s lovely. My fears of handling seem slightly (completely ?) unfounded and i’m not experiencing the issues i thought i may. Admittedly i’ve not been on that tight terrain yet, but signs are good.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n7TrBn]2022-03-10_04-18-37[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

fazzini

Unbelievable Jeff – getting that nice shiny bike all muddy?? 🤔🤔🤣🤣

weeksy

Today it got well and truly shown the Berkshire mud !
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2n86zmT]2022-03-12_01-12-14[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n86znV]2022-03-12_01-12-23[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It was laughable more than a few times..just mud on mud on mud on slop !

The bike though, well that was an interesting one for sure. I was out with the boss on my old G170 and he’s usually slightly off my pace, but today he was all “wow, this feels tough” and coming to terms that the G170 doesn’t roll as well as his T-130 did.

But then, the EX9.8, well that thing just motors along at a fine pace ! Uphill, downhill, along, road… heck, i’m even tempted to take it to Wevelgem in 2 weeks time LOL. It’s a sprightly thing that’s for sure.

Certainly no complaints here.

weeksy

First proper ride today, well I call it proper, but only because it has turns, all the rides count.

I came back from Belgium very very heavy legged but my lad wanted to head out, who am I to say no. I then had to do a quick 20km to pick up a bottom bracket. I say quick and I’m not kidding. It averaged 25.5kmh on the way there, even with the heavy legs.

After that I did “Enduro line” as it’s known in the local gang. Yup, I loved it, it flew down. I honestly can’t think of anything bad to say about it. Fab fab thing for sure.

joebristol

I told you mid travel 29er was good 💪👌

weeksy

It’s very much blown away and misconceptions i had and any worries about 29ers and turning/handling. I didn’t miss a single line choice, a single marker, it went exactly where i wanted and when i asked it to. Sadly there’s no Strava segment for me to compare it to, but not a lot i can do there. I’ll get it tested more in anger in the coming days and weeks before i race it at 417.

breninbeener

Its ace hearing someone properly enjoy their bike! Go you!

weeksy

Today was the first real Trail ride on the Trek. We were at FoD and I know the trails fairly well, having ridden them plenty.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the Strava. I rarely use it these days but was interested to get times.

2022-04-13_09-07-34

2022-04-13_09-07-22

The Trek isn’t as plus as the G170 was, but I think was it loses in comfort and bump niceness, it makes up for in speed.
    I was running slightly wide every now and again, but overall I was happy.

My lad was being coached and he was watching someone on Launchpad, “is that your dad” she said to him.
    My lad replied with “no, he didn’t brake in that corner it can’t be him”

But it was me! Ha ha.

2022-04-13_09-14-34

weeksy

OUt at FoD on this the other day, it was epic… Not as plush at the G170 but fast as heck and destroyed my PBs on trails… by enough that it wasn’t just down to me or the conditions.

One thing though was that i did on one run drop the chain. Which didn’t please me as i was trying for a fast time lol. But also because of the potential for damage.

I fitted a chain guide when i first got it, but the angles were all wrong and it rubbed on the guide/chainring. So i scrapped that… but i knew it was just a slight bit out so fitted it again this morning with a 1mm spacer between the bottom mount, which moves the angle at the top by a couple of degrees and now sits perfectly within the range on all the gears.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2neyZed]2022-04-15_08-40-06[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Superficial
    Free Member

I like the pink pedals 🙂

joebristol

I always run a chain / bash guide combo on both mtbs. Never lost a chain as a result – I reckon it’s a good call to fit one.

Noticed Katy uploaded a few videos of the lad in his coaching session – looks like she’s improving his riding on rooty tech which is ace.

weeksy

Yeah they worked mostly on what his weaknesses are and then finished with some launchpad which is his strengths to tweak that too.
    Just waiting for her next dates.

Sadly on that note the Pearce race on weekend of 23rd has been cancelled due to a nesting bird. So if you fancy showing me and him some Risca we’d be up for it. He’ll be on the DH though.

BearBack
    Free Member

Late to the party on the pics, nice looking bike.. but I’d probably want to check out what’s going on around the upper right side of the tool storage cutout just to make sure it’s nothing more than a paint issue.

joebristol

Sadly on that note the Pearce race on weekend of 23rd has been cancelled due to a nesting bird. So if you fancy showing me and him some Risca we’d be up for it. He’ll be on the DH though.

I think I can get out that weekend but it’s usually very early morning to get a decent amount of riding in due to the wife moaning if I take too much of the day up cycling. Been getting to Cwmcarn carpark about 7.30am.

If you’re doing Cwmcarn he’d be better in the status as there’s quite a lot of pedalling involved – some of it fairly steep. I usually go up the road to airstream 2 on Twrch and follow that trail round until the road section that takes you up to the official dh/ the Risca side trails.

weeksy

Looks like we’re racing in Cornwall anyway now matey.

weeksy

2022-04-20_12-58-26

As expected, I’m not miles off what the Shockwiz likes to see. That was my forks this morning over at Afan. I’ve changed slightly and will be back out after lunch

weeksy

Afan and indeed bpw were ace on the Trek. The suspension was better than I’d hoped and the shorter travel wasn’t really an issue. Sure, a couple of times in the rocky parts it got a bit ‘eeek’ but that was rare.

I can’t say theres anything really I don’t like about it.
    If being picky the bars feel a bit low, so I picked up some 38mm rise bars in the shop at bpw just before we came home, but they’re not fitted yet. My thoughts are that they’ll make it just a little more playful. But it’s just an idea really.

weeksy

Afan on Weds.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2nfVZSc]2022-04-22_08-22-14[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

This morning, the calm before the storm, after BPW dust yesterday the bikes are cleaned and ready to go again. Race day on Sat… although arguably neither of these bikes will be playing… The GT is awaiting cleaning and checking when the boy gets out of bed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nfVZNj]2022-04-22_08-21-58[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Failed today… I’d fitted the new Burgtec riser bars which by the way feel GREAT !!!! So went for a test on a section i know well…. it’s a bit pedally and a bit swoopy, but a good gauge of where i am and where the bike is. The bike felt great but the legs and lungs were a little lacking. It’s about a 2mins segment and i finished 1s off my PR from 2019… but i think in 2019 i was deffo lighter and clearly a bit faster.

So a fail in setting a PR… but overall, it was ace !

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Pretty disappointed by your fail, I was expecting big things regarding a fail of handlebar fitting proportions rather than just missing a PB by a second.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Are you sure the handlebars are on the right way round?

weeksy

Are you sure the handlebars are on the right way round?

*wanders off to check 😉

although arguably neither of these bikes will be playing…

The boy’s Status looks way cooler than the Trek 😉

*feeds fire and walks away haha

Also, are you smaller than him? Genuine question

weeksy

No mate, he’s 5’6 I’m 6’0

The garden is sloped a bit.

Status is an S3. Trek a Large.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Pretty disappointed by your fail, I was expecting big things regarding a fail of handlebar fitting proportions rather than just missing a PB by a second.

Yes agreed. When i was out soon after buying my bike, I did a minor jump and on landing the handlebars completely inverted, and bent shit out of my fingers in the process.

THAT’S a fail. You need to up your failure game 🙂

weeksy

Was interested to ride the Trek this weekend.

2022-05-29_05-32-13

Over at forest of Dean, Parkend and Rubber duck area.

Was massively impressed with the Trek, it rides, jumps and trails really well.
    Ended up riding some fairly tricky tech trails and was pleased how well it coped.

weeksy

Still loving the Fuel but have a minor dilemma this weekend.

I’m racing DH. It’s not full in WC DH of course but it’s techy and jumpy and a bit hard core for a 50 year old dad lol.

So my 2 options are

2020 fuel ex9.8

2019 specialized status 160

My lad is stealing the GT Fury.

I’m torn as to which to pick. I was out on the Trek tonight trying to push myself and it’s great.

But will I want the extra 20mm.

Hmmm

dc1988

Where is the DH race? There’s DH and then there’s DH

joebristol

FOD – Y2K / Elephant Man. Given the choice I’d probably take the Status

weeksy

FOD – Y2K / Elephant Man

Yup, thank you. I should have added that.

I’ve ridden the track on my G170 (funnily enough, with @joebristol) and got down it, although the droppy jump just after the tables did make me go ‘ooooooooh’ as i went in the air. Assuming they use that course and tape it like previously, then they do make it a bit tougher with a few unavoidable line choices. Potentially also including the big arse drop at the bottom on the right (as you’e going downwards). I kinda hope they don’t as i’ve not ridden that drop and it’s a big boy ! lol.

But i was out yesterday and thinking to myself “it’s time you manned up and did a bit more boy”… So i did a few features i have not done before in the local woods, nothing MASSIVE, but at my level they did take an intake of breath and a bit of “come on, sod it…”.

I then also entered this weekends race with my lad. It’s fathers day and we’re out together so i may as well give it a whirl 🙂

I’ve ridden both bikes a fair bit, although i usually ride the Status with ridiculous settings in as it’s the spare race bike, so i just pedal it to and from the finish arena lol. But i did ride it at BPW/Rogate a few months ago and trashed my PRs… but then when i went to Rogate, i was quicker on the Trek…but that’s a bluer track than Y2k is.

Simple fact is, currently there’s very few entrants in my Cat… i expect to come last.. It’s more a question of which bike am i less like to crash and hurt myself on, than which bike can i win on… I will probably set the slowest time of the day overall knowing me. But hey, i’m having a try and we’ve got to push some boundaries.

My other slight option i’ve been considering is throwing a 150mm air shaft in the Trek, which in hoensty i’ve been thinking about lately anyway. The 150mm is certified OK by Trek in a warranty context. But really, am i even going to notice 10mm on the front… (but using that logic, will i notice 20mm between the Trek and the Specialized)

joebristol

Personally I’d probably do the 150mm on the trek anyway whether you ride it for the FOD DH or not 👌

weeksy

Aye, i’ve just ordered the 150 air shaft for it now. I know you’ll frown but i’ll likely get my LBS (Rotec Cycles) to throw it in, but not sure if that’ll be before the weekend.

dc1988

I’d ride the one you feel more comfortable on, the amount of travel isn’t going to make a huge difference either way. The biggest difference will be how each bike rides, as a straight comparison of how much suspension each one has doesn’t tell the whole story.

Having said that, perhaps sticking with the Trek would be wise. Make the most of it so you don’t spend time second guessing whether you should be on another bike. Having multiple bikes is fine but I always feel it’s best to avoid too much overlap.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah just ride the one you are most comfortable on.

weeksy

I’d ride the one you feel more comfortable on,

TBF i really like both bikes. They’re both ‘easy’ to ride and get on with, unlike some bikes there’s nothing radical about how they ride and feel. I’m arguably more used to the Trek though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trek then, one less thing for you to (over) think about 🙂

I jest!, well, kind of…

Good luck!

weeksy

@howsyourdad1

I do over-think, i’m well aware of that…. But on the flip side, i do ride plenty too along with it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.