Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • New bike day …. Custom 29Plus
  • letmetalktomark

Just before the pandemic kicked off I finalised details with Gav and Amy from August Bikes to build a rigid 29 plus build.

I was after a “not full on modern geometry” frame and fork that took what I love about the 29 plus format and make it moar betterer. I was also after nods to the 90s bikes I loved, rode a lot and still own now. Bullet tips was a big request! [check the blog link below]

I properly loved the process of going through the commissioning of a fully bespoke frame and forks and obsessing over the details as much as Gav and Amy did.

The frame and fork comfortably take a full 3” tyre with 142mm rear spacing and without a plated bridge at the chain stay. I asked to be able to run a 36T front ring which the frame comfortably takes – more on this later.

Full internal sleeved routing for the dropper and the brake (well to the BB).

There are some shots up on their blog of the frame before I built it here:

August Bikes Blog

The frame is SS specific without gear cable guides but the plan is for when my knees give up I could go wireless and living in the flat lands clearance for a decent sized front chainring is a necessity! The frame uses a PF30 BB with an EBB in there for cleanliness and the minor weight of the EBB is central and low.

There are no decals on the frame but rather lovely laser cut SS brazed on lettering. This includes a lovely Columbus tubing badge.

Managed to get out on the bike a week ago and it was great – You would expect me to say that though! Despite being a little out of shape the frame took my clunky mashing of 34×15 gearing wonderfully and the feel of the ride was reminiscent, in a good way, to my old Cotic Soul in that it felt supple despite the huge pressures in the tyres that I forgot to alter after seating the tubeless 🙂

Looking forward to lovely dry trails now to go out and explore oh and finalising details for a matching custom stem!

Anyhoo lets get on to what you have all come to look at …. pics:

johnnystorm

Looks fab! 😎

kilo

Nice! Like the rear brake mount.

lowey

Thats lovely!

rOcKeTdOg

Fab!

voodoo-rich

Lovely bike, hadn’t come across August before. The stainless lettering is awesome!

letmetalktomark

voodoo-rich

Lovely bike, hadn’t come across August before. The stainless lettering is awesome!

It is indeed.

Under the BB is a subtle copper stamped frame number too.

The finishing touches are really nice and must be a utter ballache to achieve!

qwerty
    Free Member

Ace 👌

Painey
    Free Member

Very nice! What tyres are those? I run my carbon fat bike in 29+ format these days.

letmetalktomark

Painey

Very nice! What tyres are those? I run my carbon fat bike in 29+ format these days.

The tyres are Teravail Coronado 29 x 2.8.

They are the most expensive 29er tyres I have ever purchased but a) I wanted skin walls and b) I had heard good things about them being supple which despite the high pressure mentioned above they do appear to be.

dovebiker

Nice touch how the fork offset has been achieved by angling the blades on the crown to keep them parallel with the head tube.

29+ is a great format IMO – just rolls over anything and once you get some momentum, pretty unstoppable

ayjaydoubleyou

From the title I thought I wasnt going to like it. I was very wrong, that’s gorgeous.

letmetalktomark

ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

From the title I thought I wasnt going to like it. I was very wrong, that’s gorgeous.

🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

Beautiful bike, everything about it looks right.

tuboflard

Lovely looking bike. I love 29+, I’ve got a new set of those Teravail’s to go on mine, they look great on that so hoping they’ll ride as well as they look.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

stunning 🤩 👏

Daffy

With the exception of the rear brake mount, that’s a lovely build.

funkmasterp

That is a gorgeous looking frame and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

mick_r

Well I was going to write something on here but I just lost my entire lunchtime in the August bikes blog 🙂

As a hobby builder I’m noticing all those little details that double the work and take aaaages. Beautiful job. Nice how those Syntace dropouts look much less chunky once built into the full bike. I’ve always done my head badges in the same way – silver soldered stainless and then clean off the powder coat.

Painey
    Free Member

Cheers. I must admit I’m a big fan of 29+ too. I’ve currently got 29×3 DHF/DHR on mine, the 120tpi versions. They roll quite well at about 15-18psi.

letmetalktomark

Cheers. I must admit I’m a big fan of 29+ too. I’ve currently got 29×3 DHF/DHR on mine, the 120tpi versions. They roll quite well at about 15-18psi.

I run those on my Sonder in 3” guise and the grip is impressive. I quite like the DHR on the front and a Chronicle on the rear but they are so heavy!

letmetalktomark

Premier Icon
    mick_r

Well I was going to write something on here but I just lost my entire lunchtime in the August bikes blog 🙂

Eek!

ta11pau1

Very nice! Out of interest, what size do the teravail 2.8″ tyres actually measure at? And what size rims are they on? Got my eye on the 3.0 27.5 versions for my bike.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve come back to have another gaze…

I cant quite work out the cable routing. Rear brake seems to go internal in the downtube. Any more pics?

addy6402

Great looking frameset and build too. Resisting the urge to check out their website!

Aus
    Free Member

V v lovely, and to me, absolutely does modern with nods to 90’s. V envious

LAT

that’s a lovely bike the colour is perfect (i’m not technically minded). hope you get many years enjoyment from it.

john_l
    Free Member

Which EBB did you go with?

kelvin

Smart.

Northwind

Can’t remember the last time I saw a bike that just looked so right.

letmetalktomark

ta11pau1

Very nice! Out of interest, what size do the teravail 2.8″ tyres actually measure at? And what size rims are they on? Got my eye on the 3.0 27.5 versions for my bike.

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Teravail tyres and I would say they measure up as true to spec if not slightly larger than expected. The rims here are Velocity Duallys so 45mm(?) external …..

addy6402

Great looking frameset and build too. Resisting the urge to check out their website!

How about checking out their Instagram page!

john_l
    Free Member

Which EBB did you go with?

Wheels Manufacturing. Not a peep from it on its maiden voyage and the seals and bearings look good.

letmetalktomark

I cant quite work out the cable routing. Rear brake seems to go internal in the downtube. Any more pics?

It does. Heads into the DT at the HT and then pops out just before the BB to then run externally to the calliper.

Routing can be seen here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGuKwAvlK5F/

momo

Oh…My…That is stunning!

ayjaydoubleyou

It does. Heads into the DT at the HT and then pops out just before the BB to then run externally to the calliper.

Routing can be seen here:

Very nice. whats your reasoning for the left hand controls going in the left side of the frame? Aesthetics or a mechanical/physical benefit?

Gotama
    Free Member

I was keeping an eye on this through his Instagram and hoping to see the built pictures. It looks stunning, as his all his work, particularly the town bike he built for his wife. The little details, for me, are where the difference is between a custom and off the peg, assuming you’re not aiming for way out there geometry.

gallowayboy

That’s lovely……enjoy it!

letmetalktomark

Very nice. whats your reasoning for the left hand controls going in the left side of the frame? Aesthetics or a mechanical/physical benefit?

I had planned to use a wider bar than is currently fitted meaning that there would be a neat, short sweep of cable and hose away from the frame rather than wrap around the HT with an acuteish angle back down into the DT.

When I finalise a stem I will plan to use the wider bar giving the sweep that isn’t apparent now – I think that makes sense.

monkeyboyjc

Oooooo 🤤

matt_outandabout

That looks both clean and a barrel of laughs.

It’s almost Scandi design cool.

Approved. 👌

cojacal

That is a thing of beauty! but 34×15 … brutal!
    …thanks for sharing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New bike day …. Custom 29Plus’ is closed to new replies.