Home Forums Bike Forum new bike compatability issues, whats stw advise

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • new bike compatability issues, whats stw advise
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

old bike has RX4 mineral hope brakes, which i plan to move onto new bike,

i have a set of prime carbon 650b wheels (shimano HG or XD only)

new bike via C2W can be Sram or Shimano 12s

problems

do i go sram, are the RX4 compatible ? it seems sram use dot, shimano are mineral.

or go shimano, compatible with brakes but not my wheelset.

can a microspline be sourced for prime gravel wheels, (CRC bargain ones)

llama

rx4 come in dot/mineral specific versions

You can probably find a freehub though or else a hg cassette from sunrace or similar

tthew

You definitely can’t put DOT fluid in the mineral calipers as they stand, but with Hope being all about the maintainability, it might be worth asking if they can be rebuilt with a new seal kit.

honourablegeorge

Different RX4s for Shimano or SRAM, depending on mineral oil (shimano) or Dot fluid (SRAM), mainly a difference int he seals I think

can always use a HG or XD cassette with your shimano gears, there are lots of options there

Blazin-saddles

RX4’s are totally different, different seals, different sized pistons.  No go.

You can (could) get a freehub body though.  I have one in my spares kit as I bought one of everything spares-wise for those hubs in the fire sale.  Maybe someone on eBay who bought up all the bits has one still.  I’m reluctant to get rid of mine even though I’m very unlikely to need it.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll message hope , and see if changing the seal kit to rubber that can handle dot fluid will work

i have hg and xd hubs so sunrace or sram would work

ssboggy

I asked Hope and they confirmed that the calipers can be rebuilt with different seal kits to accommodate dot or mineral fluid accordingly. I was planning on going dot to mineral but haven’t got around to it yet!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks SSBOGGY, I had planned to rebuild my tech3 e4s with the stainless steel pistons, 18 months on I haven’t a clue what I did with them ;0)

5lab
    Free Member

You can get 12 speed hg cassettes that have road like ratios, just pop one of them on the back

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

right, now the advantages of AXS :0) , both fit c2w budget

Camino TI Rival1 AXS XPLR 

or

GRX with R/s Rudy / Ti Seatpost

I’ve had front suspension on a gravel before and loved it, so will likely upgrade down the line anyway/..

need more a comparison of which is better (excl. fork

intheborders
    Free Member

Myself and two pals ended up buying On One Free Rangers, they went for Rival 1 whereas I went Force 1.

They’ve both replaced the callipers with Hope whereas mine is still on the Force ones – they also both complained that power wasn’t very good with the Rival callipers, whereas I’ve had no issues.

Freehub-wise, most gravel bikes coming with SRAM have HG freehubs IME.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks @intheborders unfortunately the force axs models are out of my c2w budget , I have 3 hope calipers so will definitely change them. I tend to ride off-road throughout the year so I’ve found standard shimano pads can disintegrate in a ride , the hope brakes have ran on and on

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.