Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Neighbour and Fence troubles
  • shadowrider
    Free Member

I’ll keep this as short as I can. About 1 year ago, our 6ft fence blew down in the wind. Next door rent there house and asked the landlord to replace it ( it is his according to the deeds ), but he wasn’t interested and kept delaying. After a month or so we offered to replace the fence as we like our privacy. Everyone agreed, we replaced fence, job done. Then the neighbours said they would of preferred a 4ft fence, god knows why, it doesn’t block the sun or anything. Anyway, fast forward to this weekend. We have just returned home from a break to find our 6ft fence replaced with a 4 footer. What do I do now? I don’t want a little fence. Do I put a 6 footer on my side?

cranberry
    Free Member

Go next door and tell them you want your property back, explain that you are asking nicely before reporting them for theft.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s the neighbours fence to do with as they wish. You could add a secondary 6′ fence on your side of the boundary line but if you do I wouldn’t expect a civil word out of your neighbours again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ [it is yours and you want it back]and then put a 6 foot fence on your side

martinhutch

Get the panel back and set it up leaning against his new one. Job done! Seriously if you want to erect your own fence inside the line of his you can do what you want.

scaredypants

shadowrider
    Free Member

He’s returned the panels but snapped a couple of posts removing them, we don’t really get on anyway so I have no problem with never being civil again. If its not breaking any laws then its my 6ft going straight back up alongside then.

martinhutch

Paint a mini mural on his side of the extra two feet depicting the bit of your garden he can’t see any more.

Pook

make said mural look like a landfill site

martinhutch

Better still, cut a hole in it, paint it thusly on your side and get your camera ready:

Junkyard
    Free Member

genius 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Then the neighbours said they would of preferred a 4ft fence, god knows why, it doesn’t block the sun or anything.

How else can they keep an eye on what you’re up to ?

Otherwise the only options are either to stand on something and peer over the 6ft fence, or rush indoors and look out of an upstairs window, neither of which are very satisfactory.

khani
    Free Member

stop shaving and do the gardening every day in a pink mankini..

samuri
    Free Member

On their side of the six foot fence, paint a tableau describing the story of a man who takes down another mans fence and ultimately ends up in a reservoir with concrete boots.

project
    Free Member

Find out who took the fence down first, either the landlord or tennant on the instructions of landlord, or just the twennant to be petty.

Youre also allowed a 2 metre high fence, without planning permision.

And its quite common for neighbours to remove, plant fences, when the neighbours are on holiday.Had 3 or 4 customers have this done to them.

shadowrider
    Free Member

Khani- I think that is the reason for the 4ft fence.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

they are renting and the landlord don’t care so **** them…. put the 6ft fence back up about an inch from the 4ft they shouldn’t be doing **** all anyway.

eskay

Take the 4ft fence down and put your 6ft back up…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Op – did you agree to replace *their* fence or agree to take ownership of the boundary?

oink1
    Free Member

Screw your 6ft panel to their 4ft. Sit back and wait for the inevitable 🙂

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

who’s property did you erect the fence on, if on your property then they had no right to remove it & trespass springs to mind. Regardless of who’s responsibility the boundary is this does not stop you from erecting your own fence if you want to on your property i believe.

johndoh
    Free Member

But if he replaced a fence he knew to be their responsibility, surely it’s their fence?

enfht
    Free Member

You replaced their fence for them, you didn’t take ownership. That said, they sound like dickheads.

scotroutes

Do you still have the remainder of the old fence to hand back to them?

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s simple really as you’re not bothered about falling out. , If the fence was built on your property, then it’s trespass and criminal damage. If it was there property you have every right to build one alongside it upto 6ft tall. Enjoy the digging!

antigee

ask neighbour for full address and name of landlord – put your fence back up inside yr boundary send them a bill for you time and any extra materials

it amazes that people wait until you go on holiday to do this stuff – we came back from holiday to find neighbour has spent 3 days using fencing panels I dad spare from a chicken run to erect a new fence on our side of his hedge to stop his dog escaping – lost for words

hora
    Free Member

All over 2ft?

Move on ffs

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hora – Member
    All over 2ft?

Move on ffs
    From reading the OP it’s privacy vs no privacy. I’d speak to the landlord, ask for my panels back and tell them I was going to put it up on your side of the boundary.

ninfan
    Free Member

You could always wait till they’re away for the weekend and lower their garden by 2 feet!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cant see anything but things escalating here.
    As a compromise, how about putting 2ft of trellising on top of the 4ft panels and then growing some honeysuckle / jasmine along it?
    They keep the 4ft panels, you get your privacy back.
    Only downside is you have to spend out on the extra bits, do the work and wait a year of so for the stuff to grow.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Next time they are in the garden pee over the fence, when they say something just say that you never got your pee over the fence when it was 6″ 😈

Cougar

Spend your evenings standing at the fence looking through their windows. Take binoculars and a camera. Invite your friends, have a neighbourhood-watching party. See how long it takes them to build a higher fence.

DT78
    Free Member

We’ve put trellace up and grown honeysuckle as a natural barrier. Takes a couple of years to get well established. Smells nice too…

slackalice
    Free Member

Do you know for certain that they waited until you were away for the weekend? Do they have access to your diary/calendar? Maybe they tried to contact you on the day the panels were to be replaced and found you were away?

Probably unlikely, but just putting forward another possibility before guns go in ablaze 🙂

martinhutch

I cant see anything but things escalating here.

OP’s neighbours yesterday…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Probably unlikely, but just putting forward another possibility before guns go in ablaze

If I didn’t recognise the username, I’d be asking if you were new around here!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour and Fence troubles’ is closed to new replies.