• This topic has 60 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Need a light that’s like an Exposure Diablo but not an Exposure Diablo
  • liamvc96
    Free Member

After a self contained 1000-1500 lumen light to go on a helmet , needs to have a good helmet mounting system eg go pro mount or similar. Sub 100 pounds.

Yak

Over budget, but good. Four4th Scorch.

liamvc96
    Free Member

Looks good but yes over budget also would be nice if you got both mounts for that price , like the replaceable battery idea too

montylikesbeer

2nd the four4th, mine arrived a few weeks ago and it’s an incredible bit of kit.

I couldn’t recommend it more highly

welshfarmer

I have started using my Fenix on my helmet (This one). It is a fantastic quality headlight anyway, but I found that if you slip the head strap off (simple to do in a coupe of seconds) you can thread a Polaris velcro strap onto the headset part and mount it on a helmet via a couple of vents. It sits there absolutely solid, is central and much more low profile than most helmet lights. I carry a spare battery in my pack but haven’t needed to change it on 3 hour rides, provided you only use it on full power for the downs. I can get a pic of it on my helmet if you’re interested

nixie

I replaced my diablo with a four4ths scorch. It’s worth the little bit of over budget as it’s a better light than the diablo (and cheaper to boot).

jkomo

Moon will do that, with helmet mount.

whatgoesup

I’ve got a Diablo to sell. Pm me if interested.

Burchy1
    Free Member

@nixie I’m interested, what makes it a better light than the Diablo?

nixie

@Burchy1 it’s more powerful (even than the latest diablo). Has longer run time and just a nicely made. Lower profile (more like joystick size) and sits lower on helmet. You can swap the batteries for ones with more or less capacity but most importantly allowing for long rides. Can be us as a running torch (with the harness which is admittedly extra). The battery attachment also means the charge port is protected from the elements with no silly runner cover. It also doesn’t have pointless features like TAP which sounds good but in reality is unusable when helmet mounted. And to top it off its considerably cheaper.

It’s not perfect, the touch screen switch doesn’t work with all my gloves however with the longer runtime it just stays on high anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

180 quid with the extra battery, looks good though to be fair, I’d like to try one, I like the idea of full power for 3 hours (from a confirmed exposure fan 🤫😉)

Think I may punt my mk7 Diablo and give it a go.

dlr

Would one of you with a Scorch be able to weigh it please as they don’t state the weight on their website for some reason, thanks

nixie

116g by our kitchen scales not including the helemt mount as I cant be bothered to remove that from my helmet. Mount is not heavy though.

nixie

Think I may punt my mk7 Diablo and give it a go.

I sold my Mk9 diablo on eBay for only £20 less than the scorch cost me (after eBay/PP fees)!

winston
    Free Member

I caught up a guy road riding with a Four4ths Scorpion earlier in the year – one of the ones with a green LED. I could literally see it miles away. Had to ask him what the hell it was. Brightest/best visible rear light I’ve ever seen.

jeffl

I’ve got a scorch. It’s more floody than a joystick but really good. The only annoyances for me are that it fits at the front of the helmet so can try to push the front of your helmet down a bit. Second is the touch activation is not the greatest if you’re riding with gloves, which you usually do at night in the winter. But I see why they’ve had to do that due to the changeable battery.

Oh final moan is that it uses a proprietary charger.

Sounds like I’m moaning a lot but I do really like it. Also got the head band so I can use it for running.

nixie

@jeffl I’ve been thinking of getting the running band and using it to mount the battery to the back of my helmet (was actually going to use an old exposure mount for the battery but need the linking cable). With the particular helmet I have that would mean the light was hidden entirely in the visor and the battery on the back would be balancing the helmet.

dlr

Thanks @nixie

jeffl

Good shout @nixie, may try that myself.

joebristol

The new version of the Moon Vortex Pro would do what you want and be well under your max budget. 1300 lumens and comes with bar and helmet mounts. Looking at my slightly older (900 lumen) one it looks like the back of the light can be easily undone so I’d assume you can get spare batteries.

Mine are secure in the helmet (I use their gopro adapter) and seem to last ages. You can see the spot through the light on my Maxx D just about – so with 1300 lumens I reckon it would be awesome.

Edit – looks like Merlin have it in the sale for £54.

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-vortex-pro-rechargeable-front-bike-light-2020-206208.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=125709&source=PHG

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scorch and spare batteries out of stock for another 4 weeks yet, just had an email back from them.

@jeffl
    , is the only way to operate it by touch function?.

jeffl

@Nobeerinthefridge – Yes, press and hold to turn on. Tap to change light output. Press and hold to turn off. If you’re only going out for an hour or two then it’s fine to just run it on full power all the time. But if you want to get more life out of it by changing power it’s a bit annoying. Also I tend to turn mine off for any road sections as it massively antisocial for road use.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does the tap function without work okay on the bars?

I love my exposure lights, but extra batteries make this quite appealing.

jeffl

Sorry by tap I mean tap/touch the face of the light.

zippykona

How about something that fulfills the requirements but takes an 18650 battery?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks @jeffl, much appreciated.

I think I’ll get that Diablo sold, give em a go.

willt
    Free Member

I have a Diablo 1300 that i haven’t used for ages I am going to sell. Its 1300 lumens might need a service form Exposure costs £11 last time and would need a helmet mount. £50 plus postage? Comes with charger obviously.

rebengue
    Free Member

@willt PM’d you!

montylikesbeer

Just another note on the scorch, I was out on Thursday for 2.5 hours with it on full and it just works.

As jeffl said I turn it off on the road because is stupidly bright ( 15 mins of my winter bimble )

It’s a very impressive bit of kit and as I’ve said previously it outshines my trusty Troute Lumen Liberator

If I was in the market to replace that ( which I hope never to have to, by the way a nod to Mark at mtb batteries for turning around replacement battery) I will be going to another four4th product

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do you use it on the bars or lid Monty? I love the joyrider with its rear LED plug in on my helmet, but that runtime on full is the business.

p7eaven
    Free Member

How about something that fulfills the requirements but takes an 18650 battery?

I’d go for that, but which? Surely there are lots of Cree torches around 2k lumens that would be up to it? Just buy good battery/ies and charger?

montylikesbeer

I have the scorch on the lid and the Troute light on the bars.

To be fair I am over lit but there is a couple of iffy bits where the lid light comes into it’s own.

The build quality of the scorch is also top notch,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers Monty.

Gonna order one with a spare battery when they’re back in stock next month.

montylikesbeer

Nay worries, I’m also going to get a spare battery and a bar mount for the road bike.

Happy trails

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You too bud.

liamvc96
    Free Member

Ive still not narrowed anything down , anyone used the Halfords 1000 lumens on the lid? Wondering how heavy it is as the 1600 is too heavy.

joebristol

Moon Vortex Pro – 1300 lumens – easily helmet mountable either with the supplied mount or an optional go pro mount if you have a gopro base already stuck on your helmet (or buy one from eBay for a few quid).

My 900 lumen older one is pretty good really – I run it on the 700 lumen setting in combo with the maxx D on the bars.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/moon-vortex-pro-usb-front-light-rallaamy2006/?istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istFeedId=33b89177-5114-4491-9c2a-09a3a7cb23b2&istItemId=imtrqrpqp&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAiA5IL-BRAzEiwA0lcWYtrvjXFtsrQqPx6sav-mxqcVv7e9zRTEalNZgos5aB5XqGR1PbbfQhoCgDEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

liamvc96
    Free Member

I have considered a moon , I was worried about the beam pattern being more focused. Have you found that?

jimmy748

I have one of these attached to my helmet and plug my Diablo into it for extended battery life.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore–mini-3350/A1104011

teethgrinder

Still loving the Evolva/Nitenumen X8.
    Tripod thread on the bottom so a GoPro mount fits and is far more secure. Weight barely noticeable on a Bell Super 2R. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071DX232Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_UiwWFb48RJ5EB

Did get one of the lightmalls “2000lm” self-contained units someone on here suggested but it was shite in comparison.
    https://www.lightmalls.com/cycling-light-bike-front-headlight-2x-cree-xpg-led-bicycle-light-built-in-18650-battery-usb-rechargable-waterproof

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Need a light that’s like an Exposure Diablo but not an Exposure Diablo’ is closed to new replies.