Home Forums Bike Forum NBD : semi hardcore bargain hardtail

• This topic has 34 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Del.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • NBD : semi hardcore bargain hardtail
    TomZesty

Well, it is NBD if DHL do their job right and deliver it as it’s from Tredz….

This will be my first hardtail in years, and my first ever (semi) hardcore hardtail – my previous ones where XC style 26 inch deathtraps over 10 years ago now. I’m really excited despite it being towards the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I’ve gone for a Merida Big Trail 400 on the advice I received in a quick thread from last week and the review @Benji did last summer. It looks like exactly what I was after, all for the bargainous price of £725 – down from £1200. Bit of a PSA for anyone looking for similar I guess – link: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Big-Trail-400-Mountain-Bike-2023-Hardtail-MTB_244381.htm?variations=colour:Purple,size:XL%2520(18%2522)&sku=824748

On Benji’s advice, at 6ft 2 I’ve sized up to the XXL, which has very similar numbers to my Stumpjumper full suss. The fork is the obvious weak link but I reckon it’ll be fine for a while.

hopefully a shakedown ride this evening – can’t wait!

Kramer
    Free Member

I’d say a 140mm fork puts it firmly in the “hardcore hardtail” category.

ads678

I thought there was an (unofficial) agreement that it’s not NBD until you actually have the bike. If there wasn’t there should be, NBD threads should have photos in the OP.

matt_outandabout

I really like the colour of them. Our LBS had one in on a similar deal, very tempting.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Saw some folks ragging these on the big stuff recently. Obviously very capable

v7fmp

One of the lads in work recently got one of these. Seems a great bit of kit for the money!

a11y

NBD threads should have photos in the OP.

Exactly. How are we supposed to critique paving/fencing/pointing/etc without a NBD photo?

I do like the look of these. 140mm is on the cusp of hardcore IMO.

ThePinkster

I’d say a 140mm fork puts it firmly in the “hardcore hardtail” category.

If that’s “hardcore hardtail” I dread to think what my 179mm forked BFe is classed as?

Looks like a great bike for the money though, although TTIUWP.

Kramer
    Free Member

If that’s “hardcore hardtail” I dread to think what my 179mm forked BFe is classed as?

A ridiculous hardtail? ?

I think the original definition of a hardcore hardtail was fork travel from 120mm up.

citizenlee
    Free Member

I considered a Big Trail before I got my Roscoe 9. Lovely bikes. Hope yours arrives today, and post some photos when it does (remembering to remove all reflectors first, drive-side only and of course to align the tyre logos).

nicko74

Garden looks a bit… blank. OP do you live in Limbo?! ;)

Great looking bike though, decent value for the money too!

TomZesty

I’ve definitely jinxed this by posting too early – DHL now not delivering today and giving a vague promise of Monday… annoying.

re hardcore – I said semi because there are definitely more hardcore hardtails out there – this has got a kick stand mount :D It’s certainly hardcore enough for me!

chiefgrooveguru

“I’ve definitely jinxed this by posting too early”

Oh FFS! We use DHL at work, sending things that about as big as bikes, and it’s coming for there not to be enough space in the collections van for everything we’ve got waiting.

I love hardcore hardtails and this one is such a bargain! If you haven’t ridden a hardtail for a while, set the bars a bit higher than you would on a full-sus, because the dynamic sag position will put them lower than you expect.

cp

definitely jinxed this by posting too early – DHL now not delivering today and giving a vague promise of Monday… annoying.

Happened to me a couple of times recently with them. Items arrived within the hour of receiving the ‘we’ll deliver on the next working day” update.   There’s hope yet!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think the original definition of a hardcore hardtail was fork travel from 120mm up

I don’t think there’s ever been an agreed definition or arbitrary fork travel threshold for what a ‘Hard-core hardtail’ is.

Personally I think its more about what the spec and geo say about ‘intent’.

The fancy spec Big Trail was on my list a few years ago when I was on the hunt for something ‘Hardcore’. Being a massive tart, I went for something more gucci, but the Big Trail would have been absolutely fine. Seems to get solid reviews all round, so enjoy!

TomZesty

@cp you’ve called it right – got the delivery message about an hour later! We’re now back on for this afternoon supposedly! The will they won’t they tension is ramping up!

matt_outandabout

chakaping

A cry for attention.

ThePinkster

LOL.

Actually I’ve just checked and it’s actually 160mm. I mistyped 170 as well (Oops!)

TomZesty

TomZesty

I can’t figure out how to post a picture anymore, but it’s here in its purple glory!

TomZesty

a11y

If you got a semi in all it’s purple glory, not sure we need the picture.

TomZesty

Just laughed aloud at this and woke up the baby- cheers!

ads678

Use postimages.org

Click either the direct link (sometimes doesn’t work for me) or hotlink for forums (always works) and paste in reply box.

TomZesty

TomZesty

Cheers, that did it! Flame away!

suspendedanimation

Yeah that looks great

ads678

Looks mint that. Purple bikes are cool.

Forks look way better with the black stanchions!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

No flaming looks the biz mate. You’re gonna have fun on it!

There used to be a weird undercurrent/snobbery on here about Merida.

dogthomson

Looks nice!

Interested to learn how the fork performs as one of the lesser spotted ‘not-sh*t’ Suntours!

TomZesty

Took it out for its inaugural ride, only 3.5 miles round the local woods to get a feel for it.
    Pros – the frame and geometry feel spot on        – the dropper post seems really good for the price , think it’s a rebranded Tranz X                     – tyres seem decent for the money although the rear may need replacing for something a bit faster rolling.                                                               -the deore 10 speed seemed good, I’m used to slx 12 speed and it’ll be absolutely fine.                – the biggest positive surprise was the fork @Dogthomson – genuinely was half decent apart from a bit of clunking noise which is probably par for the course with these

cons – the Tektro brakes were pretty poor, hopefully they’re just bedding in… again I’m used to decent ones (slx 4 pistons) so some of it could be just the performance gap.
    – heel rub – the chain stays are very flared for wide rubber. Nothing some old school lizard skins can’t sort I guess.

overall – think I’m going to be very happy with it! Re the level of hardcoreness it just felt like a trail bike to me, a nice all rounder.

Northwind

That looks pretty damn nice! Do make sure you stay on top of the maintenance on the forks, they’re decent when they’re looked after and working well, but the seals aren’t the best so they wear very fast if you don’t- not just the black coating but also the bushings are quite delicate and if dirt or water gets into them they get notchy quick and then loose and the fork’s pretty much ****ed. (which sucks, because they’re common on bikes that new riders get and of course they have no idea til its too late) But they’re good enough to be worth looking after.

The tektros should be decent once bedded in, but also they use a shimano standard pad so you’ve got all the choice in the world for upgrades if you want more power. They are basically a total ripoff of an older Shimano brake so they’re not cutting edge but really can do the job well.

Del

wiring on that broadband cable needs to make up it’s mind if it’s a brick down from the bay window or in line with it. ;-)

nice looking bike for the money.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.