Home Forums Bike Forum NBD/M/Y – Neverending Moxie Build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • NBD/M/Y – Neverending Moxie Build
    mattrockwell
    Free Member

When you buy used frame and slowly build it up with bits off your old bike, Chiggle bargains you stashed and a few new bits, I’m not sure when NBD is. But after two false starts, I’m really happy with what I’m claiming to be ‘done’… Well, done in Version 1.0 form anyway.

It’s a ‘longer’ Pipedream Moxie MX3 frame in 1970s British Leyland Sludge, chain stays in long mode. Currently running a Lyrik Ultimate, set at 140mm with a custom tune by J-Tech. XM481/Hope Pro 5 wheels, with Hutchinson Griffus/Wyrm rubber. A mix of GX and X01 groupset, Code R brakes – now acceptable thanks to a good bleed, Galfer Pads and HS2 rotors. DMR Vault pedals, 210mm One Up dropper with Nukeproof Horizon saddle, Renthal 40mm stem and 50mm rise Spank vibrocore bars with Ergon GDH grips.

Previous false starts involved the forks running at 160mm and the chain stays set short, which didn’t suit me. Plus general aggravations of a very tired old GX derailleur, Codes needing a bleed/pads/knackered centrelines, etc. Running heavier, slower tyres. I also tried the same bars in 30mm rise with an extra spacer or two, still undecided on what I like best.

Anyway, I love it right now. It lives up to all the tired Hardcore Hardtail cliches – doubles your confidence downhill, climbs like a mountain goat, retires your full suss, steel is real compliance, etc, etc. Seriously though, it’s one of those frames that somehow seems to be more than the sum of its numbers on paper, really well designed. It doesn’t feel like a drag when it’s not going up and down hills either. A lovely all round trail bike that will be the last bike I ever sell.

Nearish future upgrades will probably be the GX cassette when I next change the chain and definitely brakes. After giving them them some TLC the Code Rs are nowhere as bad as the internet regularly tells me they are, but still the weakest link. If I can ever make my mind up, they will become either Code Ultimates, Hayes A4s or Hope E4s.

v7fmp

just checked my watch…. i got a lot of time for that. :good:

citizenlee
    Free Member

My pickle is definitely tickled :heart:

retrorick

I think you should of bought a bigger frame?

mattrockwell
    Free Member

retrorick – it looks a bit strange, but that’s just the Pipedream way. All but the smallest frame they make has a 420mm seatpost and a low stack, they just get longer. Mine is the biggest size the make with a 510mm reach (probably around 525-530mm once sagged). Despite appearances, it feels perfect once you’re riding it and perfect for my 6’2″ height.

FWIW mine probably looks slightly more extreme in these pictures – the higher bars are compensating for my choice of 140mm fork on a frame rated up to 170mm and had the seat up a little too high here, plus the Horizon saddle has 10mm lower rails than most saddles and is generally small in dimension which in photos makes the post look even more ridiculous.

jfab

That’s lovely! I wish they still did/stocked the Sirius but seems constantly out these days :(

TheGingerOne

I did similar ish just before Christmas albeit a new one and purchased a heavily discounted Nukeproof Scout bike on the Chiggle fire sale with full SLX in a completely inappropriate size for me (2xl) as everything transferred across apart from the headset and needing a 20mm disk adapter. Only issue was that the 200mm dropper was about 5 cm too long to fit me so I had to get another dropper. Sold the Scout frame and dropper separately to get some of the cost further reduced.

It is somewhat heavier than my Yeti Arc, but has a different purpose. Just not managed to ride it much due to weather and other excuses!

mattrockwell
    Free Member

I reckon the Yeti Arc and a Moxie is a good pairing, especially built up to capitalise on their strengths. I’ve also a got Ragley with a much shorter frame and fast tyres which sort of fills a different role, although it would be much better still with lighter frame/setup.

jfab – Although I’ve wanted a Moxie since the MX3 came out, I eventually decided a Sirius might suit me better. But after two months of failing to find even a used one, I circled back to where I started. Originally wasn’t sure if it was just till a Sirius came up, but now it’s definitely a keeper.

Although Pipedream had said steel S6 Sirius frames would be along not too long after the Ti ones, I read something (maybe in the Pipedream FB group) saying that it will now only be Ti S6 frames in 2024. They seem to be in smallish batches which sell out on pre-order too.

goby

Hey there, ah did the same as you @mattrockwell i bought a secondhand Moxie m2, its my only bike and love it.

Im also 6ft 2 and ride the longer and its a great vertsitle bike, i have now drop my forks to 150mm and am currently running it mullet which is fun.

Enjoy!

jkomo

It looks so nice, I love that colour. I wish I had use for a hard tail they look so much better than FS.

chiefgrooveguru

That looks great! I think my Moxie is my favourite bike ever, it’s just so much fun. I’ve had it just over two years and I use it for all my singletrack and XC riding, with my Levo being kept for lapping the steep jumpy stuff and for rare away trips. I want to try it on some gnarlier stuff because it feels very good on the steeps and (for a hardtail) good when it’s rough and/or fast.

The only change it’s had was being treated to some nice DT Swiss XM1700 wheels courtesy of the CRC/Wiggle implosion, otherwise it’s the same fairly burly eccentric build with 160mm Lyrik RC2 up front and singlespeed out back (an experiment thanks to the sliding dropouts which appears to have stuck – I have a part-worn GX Eagle set-up from my old hardtail doing nothing).

mattrockwell
    Free Member

Gotta love that pink! I’m too weak for single-speeding, but can appreciate the appeal of the simplicity.

They’re such weirdly capable things, aren’t they? I’m continually surprised by how much mine will handle for a hardtail. It’s slower and more physically demanding than full suss, but fun seeing what you can get away with.

Kramer
    Free Member

Nice bike.

I’m also a massive fan of hardcore hardtails. Such good fun to ride.

mattrockwell
    Free Member

Thanks!

Agreed, there is just something fun about riding them. Frequently catch myself cracking a grin while out on mine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s slower and more physically demanding than full suss, but fun seeing what you can get away with

This is Scienceofficer approved. Entirely the raison detre of a HT in these FS times.

In fact, this thread has made me decide to head out on mine later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.