Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • National Rifle Association filing for bankruptcy. Sort of.šŸ‘
  • Poopscoop

Not as good a it sounds unfortunately.šŸ˜•

More like a move and rebrand.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/15/business/nra-bankruptcy-new-york-texas/index.html

CountZero

New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit in August accusing the NRAā€™s senior leadership of violating laws governing nonprofit groups and using millions of dollars from the organizationā€™s reserves for personal use and tax fraud.
    James alleged that current and former NRA leadership ā€œinstituted a culture of self-dealing mismanagementā€ that benefitted themselves, family, friends and favored vendors, leading the organization to lose more than $63 million in three years.

Thereā€™s something very familiar about that statement, canā€™t quite put my finger on itā€¦

DickBarton

Could make an interesting version of Top Trumps.

somafunk

Running away to join all the other ā€œso called elitesā€ and grifters (joe rogan) to hide in Texas where they will not be held to account for their actions and words, not to mention the extremely lax tax laws

shannong
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that Bell (helmets) are associated with/ support the NRA?

Phil_H

Owned byVista outdoor along with camelbak & giro.

Poopscoop

Yeah, a lot of outdoors/ biking stuff is associated.

I was surprised to say the least.

timbog160

I seem to remember vista were trying to sell the gun stuff, or sell the bike stuff, canā€™t remember which.. I donā€™t actually object to gun ownership, with sensible regulation, but the NRA are just fruit loops..

maccruiskeen

Could make an interesting version of Top Trumps.

I think ā€˜Trump Tower Top Trumpsā€™ would be a good game. Cards for each resident with scores for how much they paid for their apartment, how few steps removed their wealth is from nazi art theft, their page score in the Panama Papers, How much time theyā€™ve spent in Trump Tower under house arrest, a mob-ties score, and ā€˜number of killings orderedā€™ score, a ā€˜former dictatorā€™ score, Ā a ā€˜running a fake universityā€™ from your apartment factor, and a time spent in jail score.

It needs some work though ā€“ Somehow you have to factor in a way of scoring ā€˜claiming you live on floors of Trump tower that donā€™t existā€™ and how genuine crimes against humanity like ā€˜writing the musical ā€˜Catsā€™ can be included without upsetting the balance of gameplay

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-trump-tower/

rossburton
    Free Member

I got all excited when I saw the headline last night but itā€™s very much ā€œmake all the annoying legal stuff disappearā€. Shame, for a moment I was hoping that one year without their big fund raiser was enough to kill them.

brads
    Free Member

Theyā€™ll be ok.

They do a great job protecting shooters rights and itā€™s a pity there wasnā€™t a similar outfit in the UK.
    Shooting sports wouldnā€™t have been decimated as badly if there had been.

wbo
    Free Member

Shooting sports might have been decimated in the UK but so have plenty of school kids in the US thanks to the access to AR-15s promoted and protected by the NRA.

NOt a fan. The NRA of 25 years ago was one thing (huntinā€™ and fishinā€™) , the last last 20 years has had a very different agenda

grtdkad

The NRA announced theyā€™re ā€œin the strongest financial condition in yearsā€

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/15/nra-files-bankruptcy-incorporate-texas-new-york?

So it is purely engineered to avoid the action in New York.
    Utterly scummy folk.

aP
    Free Member

They do a great job protecting shooters rights and itā€™s a pity there wasnā€™t a similar outfit in the UK.

Iā€™m not convinced shooters should have rights, we donā€™t live in the 19th century any more.

agis2012
    Free Member

I think youā€™ll find it was Thomas Hamilton who decimated shooting rights in the UK when he massacred school children in Dunblane in 96.

brads
    Free Member

Yup, he was the excuse for wide ranging knee jerk restrictions, which the NRA have pushed to avoid in the US as well.
    Restrictions in the US are needed, but not the effective bans that the UK suffered.

And shooters shouldnā€™t have rights ? donā€™t make me laugh. Itā€™s a sport exactly the same as cycling.

dogbone

exactly

?

Iā€™d say itā€™s closer to darts.

convert

Itā€™s a sport exactly the same as cycling.

**** off is it.

Itā€™s a sport exactly the same as snooker.

Itā€™s a leisure pastime. And if the gun is aimed at animals for pleasure rather than necessity itā€™s a leisure pastime for ****.

So what ā€˜knee jerkā€™ restrictions have made leisure pastime gun owners life so intolerable? Educate me.

nickc

Mleh, The NRA are well known in the UK for anti gun control measures, but their star is falling in the US. (The NRA are now very much seen as the group your Grand-Dad joins) There are more popular organisation taking over from them in terms of value of funds raised and given to politicians from the Trumpian right, and neo-fascist tendencies Groups like Redneck Revolt, Florida Carry and the Boogaloo boys are much much more extreme right wing, and gaining in support.

And shooters shouldnā€™t have rights ?

If you think that ā€œgun rightsā€ movements in the US work to support the rights of ā€œshootersā€ youā€™re clearly even more stupid than your posting history suggests.

aP
    Free Member

In the UK people can own firearms under licence. That licence granting should be extremely carefully administered. But an activity that requires going to the police and a magistrate to request approval to own the equipment doesnā€™t really sound much like a sport to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem isnā€™t the NRA, itā€™s all the people who like the NRA.

Plenty more sports that donā€™t have such violent connotations and associations. I actually quite like shooting guns, but only small ones and only at bits of paper. Iā€™d do the same thing with an airgun or a low power laser pulse and be just as happy.

But thatā€™s a long long way from fapping over assault rifles. An association that wants to protect shooting as a reasonable sport should be actively against gun fetishisation to separate themselves from such overt fetishisation and all the negatives. My father in law owns guns, but only deer hunting and target guns but he is vehemently against the NRA and gun nut-job behaviour.

maccruiskeen

When you say shooting sports have been decimated ā€“ for a casual observer- in what way? I see guys in the fields with things that look like guns that make a sound like guns ā€“ and maybe the pheasants are good actors but Iā€™m pretty sure they really are being shot . What aspects of shooting sports arenā€™t happening in the UK that are you saying should or would be be?

Dunblane wasnā€™t a case of a sportsman going rogue. Neither was Hungerford.

maccruiskeen

fapping over assault rifles.

I was cleaning it and it went off in my hand.

blokeuptheroad

When you say shooting sports have been decimated ā€“ for a casual observer- in what way? I see guys in the fields with things that look like guns that make a sound like guns ā€“ and maybe the pheasants are good actors but Iā€™m pretty sure they really are being shot . What aspects of shooting sports arenā€™t happening in the UK that are you saying should or would be?

You think driven pheasant shooting is the only shooting sport?

Shooting sports are incredibly varied with hundreds of disciplines. Just restricting it to the very narrow remit of Olympic disciplines, two out of 15 are effectively banned in Britain. The British Olympic pistol team have to train overseas or in those parts of the British Isles where they are still allowed (IOM, Northern Ireland, Channnel Islands). Bizarrely a temporary exemption was made for the 2012 London Olympics. Somehow in the spotlight of international coverage it was safe and acceptable to allow it.

Beyond Olympic disciplines there are loads of target sports which are allowed in nearly every country on earth bar GB. Iā€™m not a supporter of the American NRA* by the way, nor the unrestricted private ownership of firearms, but there is a sensible middle ground.

*the older, non lobbying and far more staid UK NRA, I quite like.

funkmasterp

Shootings **** all like cycling to be fair. What an odd comparison to make.

maccruiskeen

You think driven pheasant shooting is the only shooting sport?

I asked the question because Iā€™m curious about the answer ā€“ I see various shooting activities happen and gave an example. It seems, to an outsider, like people who want to own and shoot guns can ā€“ I obviously donā€™t see the activities that canā€™t and donā€™t happen ā€“ so I wondered what they are.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Shame. The US could do without their like. I like living in the UK where Iā€™m usually not going to get shot at a cashpoint or in a shop for Ā£50 or an argument over ID for booze

brads
    Free Member

Shootings **** all like cycling to be fair. What an odd comparison to make

What ? even E-bikes lol.

A sport is a sport whether you think they are comparable or not.

Olympic target shooting was as much a sport as any other, Biathlon is feking more of a sport than mountain biking and is a shooting discipline.

Trap shooting is a sport as is Kierin track cycling.

It may not be like cycling but it is a sport whether you like it or not.

Would post some interesting images but life is too short to deal with this forum and itā€™s shitty system.

Dunblane was less about guns and about who had them.

And to make my point.

.22 target pistols were banned, but 12 bore semi auto box fed shotguns were not and are still freely available.

One of those would do more damage in a shopping centre than an AK47

I asked the question because Iā€™m curious about the answer

The reason you only see field sports is because thatā€™s all that was left. Virtually every small bore / indoor / pistol range was closed down.
    Every region and area had one and it was a massive sport.

Kuco

Shooting e-bikers could be a sport I guess šŸ˜‰

One of the US talk show hosts made a good point about some politicians arguing about the new metal detectors at the capital, like Lauren Boebert. He pointed out itā€™s because of gun nuts such as her is why US school children have to pass through metal detectors every day to attend class.

blokeuptheroad

The reason you only see field sports is because thatā€™s all that was left. Virtually every small bore / indoor / pistol range was closed down.

Not entirely true. Still a lot of smallbore target rifle on indoor ranges and fullbore rifle on military and private outdoor ranges. I shoot with one of several clubs who use a 200m privately owned range and have access to a county rifle association 50m outdoor and 25m indoor range.

We shoot fullbore and small bore rifle, muzzle loading rifle and pistol, practical shotgun and even have a club owned muzzle loading canon! You will see everything from matchlocks and flintlocks to modern F Class target rifles on our range days. I travel a fair bit to this club because I have moved since I joined. Nearer to where I now live, there are half a dozen smallbore target rifle clubs within 20 miles of me and another privately owned fullbore club with a 50m outdoor range. This does not include a dozen or more clay target clubs from posh shooting schools to Sunday morning hay balers where people shoot a card of 50 sporting clays before Sunday lunch.

It also doesnā€™t include air rifle field target clubs or cadets, schools and scout groups shooting .22 rimfire target rifles in TA drill halls or school owned ranges. There are still some pub league bell target clubs in the Midlands.

A lot of the old 25m pistol ranges have been converted to ā€œgallery rifleā€ lever action rifles in pistol calibres or black powder pistols which are still allowed.

And of course field sports such as walked up and driven game shooting, pigeon decoying, wildfowling, deer stalking etc.

Shooting in its varied forms is one of the most popular participant sports in the country. The real reason
    maccruiskeen and others arenā€™t aware of this is because shooters have to ā€œkeep their heads downā€ šŸ™‚. Partly due to lurid Tabloid headlines, you can expect abuse and ill informed stereotypes about gun crime and mass shootings if your dare to admit you like punching holes in paper with an antique rifle as I do.

soundninjauk

Shooting e-bikers could be a sport I guess

Nah just regular bikes on occasion.

ayjaydoubleyou

Itā€™s a sport exactly the same as cycling.

a load of high disposable income middle aged blokes trying to buy their way to success with ever more expensive equipment that they can show off on the internet and to make them better than the other skill-less blokes.
    Someone with actual skill will ride/shoot circles around them with any second hand piece of junk.

So I agree, exactly like cycling.

crikey
    Free Member

a load of high disposable income middle aged blokes trying to buy their way to success with ever more expensive equipment that they can show off on the internet and to make them better than the other skill-less blokes.
    Someone with actual skill will ride/shoot circles around them with any second hand piece of junk.

So I agree, exactly like cycling.

So, so true. Especially hereā€¦

Northwind

blokeuptheroad
    Free Member

Shooting in its varied forms is one of the most popular participant sports in the country.

Is it really though? I mean, not trying to demean it, as you correctly say itā€™s a sport that is massively disadvantaged in the UK. But itā€™s not in the top 15 according to UK sport, and once youā€™re out of the top 5, nothingā€™s really all that popular.

funkmasterp

A sport is a sport whether you think they are comparable or not.

Cycling isnā€™t primarily a sport. Itā€™s a mode of transport. I think youā€™ll find itā€™s use for this far outweighs the sports aspect. Similar to how guns are primarily weapons of war and not sport.

brads
    Free Member

More guns are used for sport/recreation than for war though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, theyā€™re kinda used for war though arenā€™t they? I mean, in the mind of the guy getting a semi as he hits a target, really, heā€™s fighting a little war in his own world isnā€™t he? Bang bang!

p7eaven
    Free Member

Well, theyā€™re kinda used for war though arenā€™t they? I mean, in the mind of the guy getting a semi as he hits a target, really, heā€™s fighting a little war in his own world isnā€™t he? Bang bang!

Canā€™t speak for everyone but I love target shooting for the sport/feel/tech/physics/challenge of it. I donā€™t find the prospect of war exciting or anything good. Itā€™s one reason I left the Air Training Corp. Started out there with Enfield 303 practice, then shot matches in the woods with mateā€™s Weirach (sp?) HW80, or my customised Webley pistol. Began to shoot and kill animals and birds as an older teen but soon sickened of it. Turned me right the other way tbh( animal rights activist a few years later).

I remember shooting a bird as per usual, then holding the dead body. But a then feeling of crushing grief and shame. Can still feel it nearly 40 yrs later, like it was yesterday. Anyhow it stopped for me (killing things for ā€˜sportā€™) right there and then. Iā€™m not proud of that, just describing it. Still like to hoist an air rifle and make the bell ring in the shooting gallery tho, or set random targets up on private land. For me it feels nothing at all like ā€˜warā€™, same as darts in fact which I also enjoy. For ā€˜warā€™ games I choose GTAV online šŸ˜ˆ

brads
    Free Member

Edit, life is too short for engaging with halfwits.

maccruiskeen

For me it feels nothing at all like ā€˜warā€™, same as darts in fact which I also enjoy

Thats the thing really ā€“ to my mind as a non-participant in such things ā€“ aiming at targets as a sport or a past time is just that. I donā€™t really see banning or restricting one kind of tool for aiming at a target over another one as a particularly big deal ā€“ there are still lots of fun and challenging ways to practice and compete using skills of aim and trajectory ā€“ guns, archery, darts, bar billiards, golf, marbles, curling, crown green bowling.

Guns add the appeal or the stigma of destructive power to that game of aiming at things ā€“ maybe thats a thrill in its own right. But if for the purpose of sport and recreation one kind of gun is off limits it doesnā€™t seem to call for a lot of imagination to figure out a new sporting endeavour that exercises the same skill and gameplay and creates an entertaining competition as youā€™d have with that particular weapon. It only calls for a little bit of imagination.

Even in a legalised form using guns for that kind of sport requires licensing for the participants and special, controlled environments ā€“ ranges and club. Is that not a bit of a drag? Seems to set a bit of a bar to participation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ā€˜National Rifle Association filing for bankruptcy. Sort of.šŸ‘ā€™ is closed to new replies.