Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Narrow/wide
  • zerocool

If using a narrow/wide chain ring do you need a narrow/wide chain like the SRAM XX1 to get the benefits? As I was under the impression that it was the ring, chain and clutch mech that gave the increased security.

And has anyone tried out the OneUp 42 tooth cassette upgrade yet?

Tom KP

chiefgrooveguru

All chains are narrow-wide, have a look at yours!

big_scot_nanny

No experience yet, but have one ordered hopefully for delivery soon, for use with a race face narrow-wide front ring (30t).

Tried one of the cheapo 38 tooth rear cogs off of ebay, but it just bent last week after about 10 rides. Worked fine until that point though, so if the OneUp cog is better quality (looks like it), I imagine it will be fine.

I also have been running all this with a 28t single front ring from Widgit.com.au, that i used for a brief period about 4 years ago and recently dug out the toolbox as I needed a single ring solution on my Krampus. Widgit worked great, never dropped the chain, but has terrible chainsuck issues and it really holds onto mud.

I do love the single ring simplicity, and am interested to see if the race face narrow-wide will remove those issues but hold the chain as well.

Kev

FOG

Does the fact that the Widgit chain ring fits on the granny ring mounting make it more prone to chain suck?

jonnyblease
    Free Member

First ride on Saturday with a Race face narrow wide 34t with Shimano Zee clutch mech. Removed my chain device too. Normal 10 speed chain.

The chain stayed on and it was a pretty rough ride with us doing a loop around Hope Valley (some quite fast and rocky descents). No chain slap too.

I’d recommend

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Race Face narrow wide ring and an X9 clutch mech for a few months now and it works really well. It’s been nice to ditch my E13 chain guide which dragged a bit and used to get clogged up with mud in the winter.

I’ve not lost a chain yet, including at an uplift day at Antur or mucking about on rocky stuff in the Peaks. I’m totally sold on then so far.

With regards to the OP’s question about XX1 chains they have a special profil whereas the boggo narrow widerings are just thick and thin.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run a std KMC X10, with a non-clutch mech, over all sorts of daft terrain, on a hardtail, it all weathers, and not dropped a chain yet.

Tis the future, now.

zerocool

Well pointed out on the fact that standard chain is narrow/wide anyway. Ta.

Thinking of going 1x at some point in the future and trying to find out details on advance.

Ta

Tom KP

chrisdw
    Free Member

Narrow wide is good. But not perfect. I have had mine a couple of months but I have dropped the chain 2 or 3 times now. Mainly on really rocky sections. Plus I’m not exactly a gentle rider.

But don’t throw your chain guide out yet. Give it a try and see how you get on with your riding style.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Love my 30t Wolftooth NW ring. I’ve been using it for around 6 months now and it has been almost flawless, dropping the chain just once on a DH track, and when I stopped to put the chain back on I realised I’d left the clutch off after a recent rear wheel removal so I reckon I’d still have a 100% record if it wasn’t for that.

Northwind

I’ve found narrow wide + clutch mech and no chain device to be far more reliable than a top-only chainguide, I think I’ve dropped the chain just once other than while crashing. The other benefit is that when the chain does come off, it’s dead easy to put back on, not always the case with a chain device 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Wolftooth here for 6 months – not dropped once.

Tested brutally recently in the Sierra Nevada’s. Mental long rocky DH’s.

30T Wolftooth with Zee clutch mech.

zerocool

Cheers for the feedback and advice.

jobro
    Free Member

Slight off topic, but is it right you have to release the clutch on clutch mechs to take the rear wheel out? I’ve never done that!
    Apologies OP for hijack 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’re supposed to yes.

robj20
    Free Member

Depends which one, SRAM you dont.

mindmap3
    Free Member

You don’t with Sram but does make life a bit easier.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Narrow/wide’ is closed to new replies.