Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Name Nazis
  • tenfoot

Have we done people who are known by their middle names yet?

My dad was know by his middle name, as he shared a first name with his dad. Strange that they didn’t just reverse the names.

kcal

Ah, family names eh.
    Grandad was simply James (Sword). My dad was called James Alister, but known as Alister to void confusion.. Not so bad. I have the same first name (James) and tradition of a different middle name, but it’s my mum’s maiden name, with a Mc prefix, so I’m known by that name – shortened. Causes all manner of problems over the years as even my initials don’t add up to my known name – until my bank manger ‘invented’ some initials to cover all bases !!

Cougar

I have a similar story, however, the chap in question’s father died so he became Lord Something. He duly sent a fax to his clients announcing his change of name. One of the US ones called him and said “Hey, Lord, love the new name”

A good few years back, a site visit I was doing for work took longer than anticipated and necessitated an overnight stay at short notice. I rang work and asked a colleague to make the booking whilst I was otherwise engaged.

Got to the hotel and something was… off, the staff were being a bit odd in a way I couldn’t quite put my finger on. It transpired that when he’d made the booking he’d spotted “Lord” as the list of options in the Title drop-down so selected it for a laugh. No wonder they were looking at me funnily.

The mother was very proud to announce that her new baby was called J-KWON

Maybe it’s just forward planning, she’s planning on having another and calling it Jake 2?

ransos
    Free Member

They should have gone for a hyphenated name for maximum impact, e.g. Kingston-Upon-Hull.

Wells-next-the-Sea…

metalheart
    Free Member

I worked with a guy whose name was Kenneth. He had a brother, who also was called Kenneth…. Mind you he hailed from the Isle of Lewis so that could explain a lot.

Apparently the tradition was to name your kids after their grandparents and both grandfathers were called Kenneth….

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Was it the same Kenneth?

metalheart
    Free Member

Was it the same Kenneth?

Don’t be stupid, it was obviously one named after each… 🙄

😆

km79
    Free Member

Senga took me years to understand. Its a name often adopted by women called Agnes – its simply Agnes backwards

Can’t believe I am just finding this out!

taxi25
    Free Member

I worked with a guy whose name was Kenneth. He had a brother, who also was called Kenneth.

I know a bloke in the same predicament, Strangely he’s a Kenneth as well. He’s not from the isle of Lewis but his wife is !!
    He likes to be called Dave.

ratherbeintobago

My name is James Grainger & when I was 12 a schoolteacher insisted on calling me Stewart. It was ages before I twigged.

My surname is Drummond. I was terrible at rugby. So, one of the teachers (who happened to be from Leigh) rechristened me…

canopy
    Free Member

My dad was know by his middle name, as he shared a first name with his dad. Strange that they didn’t just reverse the names.

My dads Bob, I’m Rob.

Pain in the ass for post sometimes though if they drop the middle name.

His intials RE (his middle name Eric, after his father), mine RN..

Still, unoriginal bastards!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I worked with a guy whose name was Kenneth. He had a brother, who also was called Kenneth.

Did they have another brother, Darryl?

wombat

The mother was very proud to announce that her new baby was called J-KWON

Maybe it’s just forward planning, she’s planning on having another and calling it Jake 2?

Applauds 😆

wombat

My surname is Drummond. I was terrible at rugby. So, one of the teachers (who happened to be from Leigh) rechristened me…

So you’re now known as Bass?

ChrisL

I have a friend who’s known as Sandy (short for Alexander). His dad is Alec (short for Alexander) and his grandfather Alex (short for Alexander). His wife put her foot down about naming their son Alexander and this was something of a source of tension with his family and only partly assuaged by the boy getting Alexander as his middle name.

bencooper
    Free Member

First name Bruce?

ChrisL

bencooper – Member
    First name Bruce?

The boy’s first name is actually his mum’s maiden name, which was also a fairly normal first name.

Cougar

My dads Bob, I’m Rob.

I’m Alan, my dad was Alan, his dad was Alan, and I spent much of my formative years with my Uncle Allan. To avoid confusion(!), we were Big Allan, Little Alan, Young Alan, Old Alan.

Cougar

So you’re now known as Bass?

*Applauds back*

xico
    Free Member

Post deleted!

canopy
    Free Member

I’m Alan, my dad was Alan, his dad was Alan, and I spent much of my formative years with my Uncle Allan. To avoid confusion(!), we were Big Allan, Little Alan, Young Alan, Old Alan.

hah..

I know of a family where all the sons and the father are called David.. the one i know was referred to by his middle name, Alun 🙂

tjagain

We have traced my family tree a long way back. Until a couple of generations ago they were quite poor folk and this seems to manifest in a shortage of names. All the men were called Henry and all the women Martha. All of them over many generations

mattsccm
    Free Member

Am the only one who gets peeved when uninformed parents give their children shortened names as their full name. My nephew is Jack. That’s a bloody nickname FFS! Anther family member has Betty and Harry as names. idiots.
    As for shortening names. if its objected to then its a no no for me. Manners cost nothing.

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Name Nazis’ is closed to new replies.